Child Neglect

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Unread postby Iznoach, Legendary Dragon » Wed Jun 26, 2002 5:42 am

The thing is, physical abuse isn't the only kind of abuse, and the other types are far harder to prove. For instance, when my family moved to Kentucky in late 1989, we were really poor. However, instead of getting a job, my step-father decided to let us live in a homeless shelter for 4 months, during which my siblings and I were forced to "hunt" in trash cans and various places for aluminum cans to recycle, just so he could get enough money to buy a half gallon of whiskey. This is also abuse, imo, and it's the kind of thing that can scar a kid emotionally for life...
"Armed and dangerous, ain't too many can hang wit us
straight up weed no angel dust, label us Notorious..."--Biggie
Iznoach, Legendary Dragon
Gunslinger

Unread postby Maria » Wed Jun 26, 2002 5:56 am

That's because you stole $70, but sometimes even kids would get beaten if they spill tea on the floor, or by other stupid reasons. That would teach them a thing yeah, that they are practically useless, without value, and only have the right to do anything their parents told them
Maria
Iron Duchess

Unread postby Sun Ce » Wed Jun 26, 2002 6:31 am

Abuse comes in many forms, but the fact remains, it should not be tolerated or done. I would feel sick to my stomach if I ever laid a harmful hand on a child.....I used to be a martial arts instructor though, so that was fun ^_^
I think that song is the highest achievement of the living culture, don't you agree?
Sun Ce
Master

Unread postby Rhiannon » Wed Apr 23, 2003 4:16 pm

I'd like to revive this topic up to the forefront again, discussing child abuse and neglect. We can agree that it's wrong -- but what should be done with specific cases is a more specific question.

I found this article on the net today. I ask you -- does the government have the right to do this? Is not paying for a disabled child's therapy reason enough to take the child from the parents?

Parents Forced To Give Up Kids To Get Them Treatment
By Maggie Fox
4-22-03

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Thousands of U.S. parents are being forced to give up their mentally ill children to foster care or even the juvenile justice system because they cannot otherwise pay for treatment, a report said on Monday.

The report by the General Accounting Office has probably found only the tip of the iceberg, mental health groups said, as only a few states cooperated with the investigation.

But they said the implications are clear. "Families across America are being ripped apart because they can't find the help their children with mental and emotional disorders need," Laurel Stine of the nonprofit Bazelon Center for Mental Health Law said in a statement.

The GAO, the investigative arm of Congress, was asked to write the report by U.S. Senator Susan Collins, a Maine Republican, and Democratic House of Representatives members Pete Stark of California and Patrick Kennedy of Rhode Island after a series of media reports on the issue.

Child welfare directors in 19 states, and juvenile justice officials in 19 counties answered survey questions for the report. They said more than 12,700 children were placed into some kind of care so they could get needed treatment.

"Nationwide, this number is likely higher because many state child welfare directors did not provide data," the GAO report said.

"Although no agency tracks these children or maintains data on their characteristics, officials said most are male, adolescent, often have multiple problems and many exhibit behaviors that threaten the safety of themselves and others."

But the children had not committed crimes, nor had they been abused or neglected, said Elizabeth Adams, a spokeswoman for the National Alliance for the Mentally Ill.

"When children have mental health problems, they are often demanding on the family and family structure," Adams said in a telephone interview. "Sometimes they have outbursts and rage and behavior that is destructive to the child and others."

This requires care -- expensive care that can include intensive counseling for the patient and the family, respite care to give parents a break and drug treatment.

But many insurance plans will only pay for such treatment for a limited time, said Ralph Ibson of the National Mental Health Association.

And states cannot pay unless the child is in their physical custody.

"In extreme cases, as this report documents, they literally give up custody to meet the requirements as a last-chance opportunity for their children, give up custody to a system that will place the kids in mental health services. That's how desperate they are," Ibson said.

"You have to ask yourself why they can supply money for child mental health services in a foster care home and you won't give the same money to a parent?" asked Adams.
"For us to have self-esteem is truly an act of revolution and our revolution is long overdue."
— Margaret Cho
Rhiannon
Joy & Oblivion
Joy & Oblivion

Unread postby Humble Fisherman » Wed Apr 23, 2003 6:29 pm

Well, by my reading of the article the government isn't actually taking these kids away from their parents, but rather their parents are being forced to give them up for financial reasons.

It sounds to me like they just can't afford the cost of treatment, and by giving them up to the protection of the government, the government assumes responsibility for their treatment.

The question raised at the end of the article is a valid one, however. Couldn't the government simply provide the money that would be available directly to families?

Of course, this may be one of those questions that sounds like a no brainer but is really a lot more complicated. If the money were available, everyone would want it, including those who could otherwise afford treatment. Also, the government would be obliged to give it to everyone who applied and met the criteria, instead of only those who were so desperate that they would actually consider giving up their kids (ergo, they would be paying a lot more money)

One question this article raises with me is how many of these children are being given up for financial reasons, and how many are being given up because the parents are not equipped to handle the strain of a mentally handicapped child - most notably a male adolescent one.

There was a well publicized case here in Canada of a mother who petitioned the courts for permission to have her mentally handicapped son castrated chemically. Naturally, this caused quite a stir, but her rationale was not actually as poor as you might initially suspect.

Her son had the mind of a four year old, even though he was fifteen by age. He was also abnormally large for his age - over 6 feet and two hundred pounds. His mother was quite small in stature.

Now, anyone who has ever been around a four year old will know that they are on the whole quite demanding, and rather prone to tantrums. Add the physical size of an adult male, and the raging hormones of an adolecent, and that four year old can become quite dangerous!

Obviously, this particular mother believed that by curtailing her son's sex drive he could be made more docile. However, it is not a far stretch to imagine a parent saying 'I can't handle my child any more, I have no choice but to give them up.'

Is that neglect, or merely a rational parent making a difficult choice. It may be a tough call depending on how you look at it.
"He who thinks he has no faults has one"
Humble Fisherman
Langzhong

Unread postby Emily » Wed Apr 23, 2003 9:42 pm

It's interesting that this topic should come up. I stumbled across an article on cnn.com a few days ago, and was tempted to start a similar thread, but it slipped my mind and I completely forgot about it. However, the comment below prompted me to post the article which follows it.

James wrote:Much of the problem lies in our own government. We do not offer Child Protective Services enough money to fund many ventures like this, and what is the result? What you read above.

Over government spends way too much money on the wrong things. Most elected officials are not in power to serve the people; they are in power to serve themselves. It is their job and they get paid (quite well, I might add) to do what they do.

Getting publicity to events like this is the best we can do to. If we just sit back and allow things like this to go on all around us nothing will change; in fact, things will get worse. :(

Father charged in boy's beating death

KEY WEST, Florida (AP) -- State child welfare officials failed to check a man's arrest record before he took custody of his son last year. Now, police say, the father has beaten the 5-year-old boy to death.

Christopher Lamont Bennett, 28, was charged with killing his son, Zachary, at their Key West home Tuesday. The boy had a ruptured liver, bleeding in his brain and "broken ribs consistent with having been stomped," an autopsy concluded.

Bennett had previous arrests for allegedly selling cocaine, stalking and assault and battery, and a domestic violence restraining order prevented him from going near a girlfriend.

The state's troubled Department of Children & Families recommended to a judge that the child be placed with his father late last year, but no background check was made, Samara Kramer, a DCF regional administrator, acknowledged.

"I have serious concerns about the way this case was handled," she said Thursday. She said the department was conducting an investigation.

Kramer took over the agency's Miami-Florida Keys district after the department was accused of mishandling cases of several other children who disappeared or were killed. Among them was 5-year-old Rilya Wilson, who had been missing for 15 months before department officials realized that she was gone. She still is unaccounted for.

Zachary, who was born prematurely with a heart murmur and other health problems, was taken from his mother in April 2002 after complaints that she left the boy for extended periods without provisions for his care.

The boy was sent to live with a great-grandmother, but he was taken away from her after DFS workers said she let the boy's mother have an unsupervised visit with the boy.

The boy was then sent to live with his father after DCF workers told Miami-Dade Circuit Judge Cindy Lederman he would be a suitable guardian.

"I can only rely on the information presented to me," Lederman said. "I absolutely did not know that this father had any criminal record whatsoever."

Lederman said DCF investigators also did not tell her they had received a December 2002 report that Zachary had been bruised on his face while living with Bennett. The allegations were ruled unfounded. In February, Lederman ended state supervision of the boy.

Bennett was being held Friday on charges of murder and aggravated child abuse at Monroe County jail.

Florida's child welfare services have been in the news quite a bit recently, so the above case is just an example. One of the main ideas which keeps popping up in these articles is the under-staffed and over-worked departments and their lack of funds. It's truly a sad situation, and although I've thought about this I have yet to come up with a definitive answer, so I'm asking you guys. My question: could something like this have been prevented with a few more staff members? And, how do you suggest we fix such problems with the economy and state budgets in the state they're currently in?
"The person who knows how to laugh at himself will never cease to be amused." --Shirley Maclaine
Emily
Texas Tornado

Unread postby Jonathan » Mon May 12, 2003 6:20 pm

Captain_Emily wrote:Florida's child welfare services have been in the news quite a bit recently, so the above case is just an example. One of the main ideas which keeps popping up in these articles is the under-staffed and over-worked departments and their lack of funds. It's truly a sad situation, and although I've thought about this I have yet to come up with a definitive answer, so I'm asking you guys. My question: could something like this have been prevented with a few more staff members? And, how do you suggest we fix such problems with the economy and state budgets in the state they're currently in?

If CPS had more funding and a stronger staff many issues like this could defiantly be avoided, the government doesn’t take the time and money to help out however, they care more about their roads and what is going to get them reelected. On two occasions I’ve talked to CPS staff members, including a regional manager, and they both told me “we could do so much more if we had the funding to, and if we had the funding we would do so much more.” The people who work for this kind of organization actually care about the kids they are forced to interact with on a daily occurrence. They have to care, its not like they make much more than teachers do.
Also known as Zhuge Xuanshi
"The problem with the gene pool is, there's no lifeguard."
-Steven Wright
Jonathan
Censored
Censored

Unread postby Jon » Tue May 20, 2003 8:29 pm

what I don't understand is, if you have a kid too many.... some people don't have the right mind to know what to do. if they give their child to an adoption home when they are young, it will save both the child and the parents, because the child will possibly have a better place to live with more caring parents, and the parent won't have to worry about getting so angry, for one reason or another, that he/she injures emotionally or physically, or kills the child. that would be my 2 pennies on this subject.

*should be a space inbetween i and don't but it started typing over other letters again. anybody know how to fix it?

Mod (Wild-Eyes): You probably hit the insert key, hitting again would fix it. :)
Jon
Ladies' Man

Re: Child Neglect

Unread postby Sakae Wu » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:00 am

I think some questions brought up here are worth repeating.
What can be done to protect the children in this world from abuse and neglect??

I bring this up again due to a high profile case currently in Japan after the death of 5 year old Yua Funato.
https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20180609/p2a/00m/0na/015000c
http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/AJ201806070060.html

Many influential politicians, essayists and celebrities have been speaking out and demanding changes after the young girls case had been publicized.
This is also a unique case in the regard that the victims words were heard after her passing, by way of written notes.
In her letters she had begged for forgiveness and promised to try to be a better daughter. She was only 5 and had just started learning hiragana.
Her "meals" consisted of a small portion of rice and a little bowl of soup. Sometimes only once a day would she be fed. She weighed about the same as a 2 year old in her final days. :(
She was beaten repeatedly and punched in the face, had brain swelling and bruises around her eyes. :cry:
She was left in a cold room with no heater in the winter. And had signs of frostbite on her feet.

Child welfare in Japan knew of this abuse, and took her into temporary care twice and still eventually returned her to her "parents".
Her neighbors also contacted autorities on two occasions when they noticed little Yua chan had been hurt by her stepfather.
Her family failed her, child services failed her, her neighbors failed her and we as a society have failed her.

At some point, human rights for a child must supercede a parents rights.
Why must it take yet another death for people to start talking about it again?

Sorry, the level of cruelty perpetrated on this precious child is overwhelming for me personally.

Rest in peace dear Yua chan. You will not be forgotten♡
Sakae Wu
Assistant

Re: Child Neglect

Unread postby Sun Fin » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:23 am

That is a truly awful case and my heart breaks for Yua Funato.

I don't know about the circumstances in Japan but I know in the UK the problem is often not to do with parents rights. Instead our child services are over stretched and so while they might know the child is being abused if they don't view the risk as 'as severe' as others they'll be returned or monitored. they just don't have the staff, funding or infrastructure to move every child who is being abused. It is truly awful but I guess unless we have more people willing to foster and give children a safe place to stay the services are going to be limited in what they can offer!
Interested in the history behind the novel? Find a list of english language Three Kingdom sources here.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Current Affairs