Gay and Lesbian Marriage

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Gay and Lesbian Marriage

Unread postby Jonathan » Sat Aug 10, 2002 11:39 pm

Gay and Lesbian marriages have become more common in today’s society, surrounded with controversy and discrimination couples express one another’s love with the same sex without regret. Society presses down prejudices upon the people who have made their choice in the same companion, some have reasons others commit to the norm and peer pressure. I personally don’t have a problem with these marriages, but I worry about one thing. What impact can this make on a child brought into a family who has parents of the same sex?
Also known as Zhuge Xuanshi
"The problem with the gene pool is, there's no lifeguard."
-Steven Wright
Jonathan
Censored
Censored

Unread postby Dennis » Sun Aug 11, 2002 1:59 am

Psychologically, environment has little say in the turn out of whether a child is going to be homo/heterosexual. If one identical twin is homosexual than the other in most cases has a %50+ chance of becoming homosexual, and then the rest is contributed to friends, environment, parents etc... so the whole child thing shouldn't be the problem, it's usually to do with genetic predisposition and an oversized hypothalamus.

I think same sex marriages are fine.
Dennis
Mutha Canucka

Unread postby James » Sun Aug 11, 2002 5:08 am

I think they are just fine and I do not think anyone has the right to restrict this. Doing so is the same as forcing your religious beliefs on someone that does not share the same views.

Zhou Lide wrote:Psychologically, environment has little say in the turn out of whether a child is going to be homo/heterosexual. If one identical twin is homosexual than the other in most cases has a %50+ chance of becoming homosexual, and then the rest is contributed to friends, environment, parents etc... so the whole child thing shouldn't be the problem, it's usually to do with genetic predisposition and an oversized hypothalamus.

It is, however, worth considering the psychological implications of growing up in a mother/mother or father/father environment. It has not been proven that there is an impact, but from everything I have seen and studied there is one indeed and it is not that small. I still don't see it as cause enough to limit the rights of others.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby NCC81701 » Sun Aug 11, 2002 5:56 am

I might be bias since I do have friends that are homosexual. But dispite all of the prejudice against them (some even from my parents), they are kind and friendly people. I do not see why they shall have their rights limited based solely upon their sexual preference. That is why I think that same sex marriage are fine. If my homosexual friend can threat me with kindness and care, I am certain that a same sex couple can threat any child with the same care that any parents or froster parents can give.
"The world is my country, science my religion" - Christaan Huygens
NCC81701
Student

Unread postby Zhou Gongjin » Sun Aug 11, 2002 8:40 am

I think marriage is going a bit far and I don't think I'll ever get used to seeing it. But the concept of marriage has been defiled by too many people already so I wonder if this is the last extreme. I don't care though, because I have absolutely nothing to do with those people, or any other people besides my family and friends for that matter.
He who exercises government by means of his virtue may be compared to the north polar star, which keeps its place and all the stars turn towards it.
-孔夫子
Zhou Gongjin
鋼のチビ

Unread postby Phlegyas » Sun Aug 11, 2002 8:49 am

I share the same view Jon. They have nothing to do with me, so why should I care. It might scar the child with children's cruelty, but I do not know how a thing like that could be stopped. I am fine with homosexuals doing what they want as long as it doesn't affect me. I do hav many gay friends (mostly women) and I am fine with them.
"Woe unto you, ye souls depraved
Hope nevermore to look upon the heavens;
I come to lead you to the other shore,
To the eternal shades in heat and frost.
And thou, that yonder standest, living soul,
Withdraw thee from these people, the dead"
Phlegyas
Langzhong

Location: The dark catacombs of my mind. Longing for love, but getting lost in the labyrinth.

Hrmm...

Unread postby Rowde » Mon Aug 12, 2002 10:44 pm

I have no problem with it.

At the root, I don't even think this is a factor in a child's development. I mean, I know plenty of heterosexual couples who aren't adequate parents. That's what worries me the most with homosexual couples having children right now. And I mean, "RIGHT NOW," in the beginning of the new millenium, this year 2002. I have very little faith in people in general, and I think that the current trend of homosexuality is just that, a trend. It's an acceptable option now, so more people are doing it for unjust causes, not because they actually love someone of the same sex. The relationships these people get involved with will often end in divorce, or worse. One partner might suddenly decide they aren't gay anymore. Things like that, and divorce, etc. will have a far worse impact on a child's development than being raised by homosexual parents.

Of course, I think that this will eventually taper out, and someday almost all homosexual couples will be devoted homosexual couples who are actually responsible enough to raise children. These are the same hurdles that inter-religion marriages and inter-racial marriages had to go through. Some of the first people who did that were simply romanticizing the idea of having and raising children in their new enviroments, without actually considering the simple ramifications that having a child in the houdehold would have. It was more important to have a child than to be able to actually raise the child.

That of course, can be extend to almost all couples. People just need to think these things though.
Copernicus of the New Age, take this unbearable weight of gravity, and liberate this galaxy!"
~ Kenji Miyazawa
Rowde
Intensified Luck Soldier

Unread postby Phlegyas » Tue Aug 13, 2002 6:59 am

I have many gay friends and I am okay with marriage of same sex couples, but I question their ability to raise a healthy child. The cruelty of children would devestate the child growing up and by adulthood, they would just be a shell of a human. All of my gay friends said they would never raise a child because they are not selfish. Those who do choose to raise a child don't care as much about the child as they do themselves. It is sort of like King Solomon and the baby, but in a different way. If the gay couple cared enough for the child, they would give it up for the child's sake. I don't care what they do as long as it doesn't effect me or hurt the child. Gay marriage is perfectly okay. I know many bible-beaters think that it is blasphemy, but how can something be blasphemous if ther is no God (strong opinion, different topic)? I dislike people that adhere strictly to the laws of their religion in a radical way. For example, outlawing divorce. If they realy followed the bible strictly, then women would not have a major role in our society and they wouldn't be able to do everything that males can do. That would be outrageous.
"Woe unto you, ye souls depraved
Hope nevermore to look upon the heavens;
I come to lead you to the other shore,
To the eternal shades in heat and frost.
And thou, that yonder standest, living soul,
Withdraw thee from these people, the dead"
Phlegyas
Langzhong

Location: The dark catacombs of my mind. Longing for love, but getting lost in the labyrinth.

Unread postby Travis » Mon Dec 23, 2002 4:33 pm

Gay and Lesbian Marrying each other is fine by me, though if they claim to be In the Christian Faith I would have a problem with it. It's like deliberately disobeying god, "Thou shalt not lay with thy fellow man." Leviticus. As long as your not parading around that your a "Christian Gay Couple" and giving people false conceptions of Christianity than more power to ya. :)
Last edited by Travis on Mon Dec 23, 2002 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Be on your Guard, Stand Firm in the Faith, Be Men of Courage, Be Strong, Do everything in Love" - Master Lee's School Motto-

Formerly Schwarz Bruder/Taishi Ci
Travis
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sam Da Man » Mon Dec 23, 2002 6:15 pm

I say no. Being a homosexual is just an abnormality of the brain(yes, I learned this in psychology class). Somthing about having too much of x or y cells(or somthing like that). This messes with their whole body and makes them react different to other people(especially the faramones that come off men and women). There probably is a cure but it must be fixed in the DNA of a person and not just telling them that it is wrong.

I believe it would only inspire more of it. Procreation is the question. I say if they aren't contributing to keeping society alive then what use is there for them(I am not being ignorant but am just wondering why.). I don't see a reason for them to be married. They will never have kids(unless they adopt but that is for another debate). It really comes down to family values.
"I have come out of the cave, join me" Sam Da Man's younger brother
Sam Da Man
Assistant

Next

Return to Current Affairs