Rights of the Victim vs the Accused

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Unread postby English_Druid » Tue Jul 29, 2003 9:33 pm

There is a similar case in the UK which relates to the right of the victim and the accused. I though I would post it here seeing as the thread is not about one specific case, and to avoid making another thread.

Here is a recent link on the issue
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/norfolk/3105383.stm

A few years ago a farmer caught 2 people attempting to steal from his home. He shot one of them who tuned out to be a 16 year old boy who died. Ther farmer was convicted of manslaughter and received a 5 year sentence, is that fair? To what length should we be allowed to protect out property?

The survivor then brough civil action against the farmer and attempted to sue him for £15k for a gunshot wound he received. Is this fair? should the thief who had no right to be on his property be allowed to sue a man for defending his land?

And then Finally the farmer is currently trying to sell his story to the press, should he be allowed? should he be able to benefit from his crime?

IMO, the rights of criminals is becoming rediculous. The farmer was jailed because he was a "threat to the burglaring community," I mean come on, that is absurd..
People should be allowed to defend themselves and their property by ANY MEANS NECCESSARY. How do you know whether its a burgular or a murder? you dont and so its better not to take the risk. Whats a better way of detering theives than the prospect of them being killed in the process.

I think that the thief should not be allowed to sue the farmer, he had no reason being on his property and while he was committing this crime, IMO lost his rights.

I beleive the farmer should be allowed to sell his story to the press, IMO he was the ONLY victim in this case. As but for the 2 men attempting to steal from his property, none of this would have happened....
But no one dies in the right place
Or in the right hour
And everyone dies sooner than his time
And before he reaches home.
English_Druid
Scholar of Ying Guo

Unread postby Boushin Dragonfly » Wed Jul 30, 2003 1:18 am

Well, first, he should be allowed to sell his story. In my eyes, he committed no crime. The kids came on his property, with ill intent most likely, and he defended what belongs to him.

Still, England isn't the US, and they have noose-like shooting laws, I believe.

The "victims"? They need to be charged with trespassing and disturbing the peace.
Weapons are the instruments of misfortune and should be resorted to only when unavoidable.
--Sun Tzu
Boushin Dragonfly
Scholar

Previous

Return to Current Affairs