Videogame Violence?

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Unread postby Davey Vengeance » Fri Jun 13, 2003 11:12 am

I don't see the problem with computer game violence it is just graphic.

The sensors let alot of really nasty movies, yet they block off things like Grand Theft Auto?

I heard about the people who were influenced by the matrix movie, what could drive somebody to do things like kill people cos they look like agent smith!?
Forever X

Like Suikoden? Like RPing?
Then please come and join us at CASTLE NORTH WIND
Say Belcoot sent you...see you there. :)
Davey Vengeance
Scholar of Darkness

Unread postby Mr. Counsellor » Fri Jun 13, 2003 5:00 pm

The problem lies with the conservative parts of the society...
It's like:

random 16-year old: "Wow! He hijacked that Mustang and shot those policement dead! Tommy Vercetti is sooooooooo cool!"

Mr. Conservative: "WHAT?!? "hijacked"? "shot dead?" "MUSTANG?!?" AHHH YOU ARE PLAGUING THE SOCIETY WITH ALL THAT ****! Oh my goodness! "****?" it's a very bad word...whoops...big no-no..." :lol:
i sometimes put a carton of milk in the dryer so that there's an equal distribution of the force shaking it. Tastes like lint though...
Mr. Counsellor
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Wonderboy Mini » Tue Jun 17, 2003 10:30 pm

I take the view that if someone snaps whilst playing a violent game, they were going to snap anyway. Whether it be because of a game, a movie, a TV show, a book, a song, anything, that person snapped because they're a nutter. And nutters do things because they are nutters.
Wonderboy Mini
Student

Unread postby Sun jian » Wed Jun 18, 2003 2:46 pm

I think video games aren't a cause of violance unless someone is looking to lay blame on something besides themselves. It's a person's choice to be violent and video games come from people who have great imaginations, not a desire to hurt others. Media may encourage an already violent person but it can't turn a nonviolent person into a murdrer unless they let it. Games are fun ways to take out frustration, in the game!
Sun jian
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Travis » Sun Jun 22, 2003 2:32 am

I'm moderately conservative, and I feel Violence in video games is okay. Whats the difference in playing a violent video game and watching an action movie? No one really complained when Rambo, Terminator, and other actions movies came out. "Gone in 60 Seconds" was all about stealing cars and again no one complained. When new troubles arise in the world, people tend to look for a new trend to blame it on. Video Games just happens to be one.

However, Recently the News has lightened up on it a lot. They are even previewing new games on some national news station like msnbc (They even had DOA Beach Volleyball :lol: ).
"Be on your Guard, Stand Firm in the Faith, Be Men of Courage, Be Strong, Do everything in Love" - Master Lee's School Motto-

Formerly Schwarz Bruder/Taishi Ci
Travis
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun jian » Mon Jun 23, 2003 1:37 pm

Schwarz Bruder wrote:I'm moderately conservative, and I feel Violence in video games is okay. Whats the difference in playing a violent video game and watching an action movie? No one really complained when Rambo, Terminator, and other actions movies came out. "Gone in 60 Seconds" was all about stealing cars and again no one complained. When new troubles arise in the world, people tend to look for a new trend to blame it on. Video Games just happens to be one.

However, Recently the News has lightened up on it a lot. They are even previewing new games on some national news station like msnbc (They even had DOA Beach Volleyball :lol: ).

I think they realize that no matter how much the media shuns it people will still buy the games and play them, regardless of public opinion. People like them, people will play them. Business meets pleasure in our society and most people play games to escape the real world, where they can kill thousands of men or other creatures without penalty. It's those people who think they can do those stunts in real life that cause negative attention towards those games that are violent, which I might add, are almost every game in the market.
Sun jian
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Skyeye Amon Ra » Tue Jun 24, 2003 6:12 pm

Video games are more involving than movies where you just sit and watch. I have no problem with violent videogames; I have played quite a number of them, believe me. I do hate the media's lack of good reporting on this issue. They do not interview gamers for their opinion, instead they paint us as violent subversives, and they interview so-called knowledgeable "experts" who don't even come close to explaining the situation. All that is left is a mass number of people and especially parents who feel more scared about what their children maybe playing than what they could be doing when their out with friends.
A true test of destiny is Power. - Me

"Is it the sea you hear in me, its dissatisfactions? Or the voice of nothing, that was your madness?" - Sylvia Plath

"These fragments I have shored against my ruins." - T.S. Eliot
Skyeye Amon Ra
Assistant

Unread postby Sun jian » Tue Jun 24, 2003 6:41 pm

skyeye84 wrote:Video games are more involving than movies where you just sit and watch. I have no problem with violent videogames; I have played quite a number of them, believe me. I do hate the media's lack of good reporting on this issue. They do not interview gamers for their opinion, instead they paint us as violent subversives, and they interview so-called knowledgeable "experts" who don't even come close to explaining the situation. All that is left is a mass number of people and especially parents who feel more scared about what their children maybe playing than what they could be doing when their out with friends.

Good point but I might add that the media is the reason for the target being games instead of what it really is: lack of self control and discipline. I think this has to do with upbringing and environment among other things including peer pressure, advertisements, and examples portrayed by hollywood, siblings, and other people kids look up to. I know cause I used to look up to some 'bad boys' but I didn't follow their example and it's each person's choice whether or not they decide to take those actions or not. It isn't the game making you pull a trigger or stabbing someone, now is it?
Sun jian
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Mr. Counsellor » Tue Jun 24, 2003 7:13 pm

Hmmm...
how 'bout a quote from me?

If beauty is in the eye of the beholder, then surely ugliness is as well...

^_^
i sometimes put a carton of milk in the dryer so that there's an equal distribution of the force shaking it. Tastes like lint though...
Mr. Counsellor
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Wonderboy Mini » Tue Jun 24, 2003 7:50 pm

As is contempt.
Wonderboy Mini
Student

PreviousNext

Return to Current Affairs