Videogame Violence?

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Unread postby Shield of Rohan » Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:08 pm

I agree - just as laws work to prevent viewing of R-rated movies and rental at places like Blockbuster to youth, so should ESRB mature ratings be enforced to that only 17+ can purchase these games.

On the Bible Game, I wonder if that game will contain any depictions of violence. Like who can conquer Israel first. Or perhaps a Siege of Jericho. Or a beat-em-up to see who can smite more Assyrian soldiers. Then we could see Jack's reaction :lol: .
"I have gained this by philosophy: that I do without being commanded, what others do only from fear of the law." -Aristotle
Shield of Rohan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby SYL » Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:45 pm

Y'see, in Britain, we already have a system where BBFC classifications (which all films and some games are subject to) make it illegal to sell certain products to people under a certain age. This works in tandem with the ESRB, but where that is a recommendation, anything with a BBFC classification is enforced by law. Perhaps a similar system would be warranted?

As for the Bible Game, unfortunately, I think it's not going to be very good. And, I mean, it's only the Old Testament. Are they planning on doing an expansion with the New Testament? Jesus Add-On Party Pack? Food for thought.
aortic high arctic part mood altered paradise is lost
SYL
Esswhyell

Unread postby Asmodeous_9th » Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:22 pm

Parental guidance is still the key wheh it comes to this issue. If a parent takes the time to teach their child the difference between reality and a game, they will not be affected in a negative way by violent games. All it takes is a couple of minutes a day for that.

Of course, you also have to make sure that stores follow the guidelines. You guys are right, a child can go into a game store and buy an M rated game with no problem. I think there should be consequences for the stores, not the game companies who make the games that are clearly intended for a mature audience.
It's better to regret something you did, than something you didn't do.
Asmodeous_9th
Apprentice

Unread postby Marc » Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:19 pm

Asmodeous_9th wrote:Parental guidance is still the key wheh it comes to this issue. If a parent takes the time to teach their child the difference between reality and a game, they will not be affected in a negative way by violent games. All it takes is a couple of minutes a day for that.

But the idea that children can't tell the difference is, to me at least, ludicrous. Sure, there are some who can't, but they often have somwe kind of mental illness. Parents shouldn't have to teach their children the difference because it's common sense.
Roses are red, violets are blue,
Omae wa mo shindeiru
Marc
Robot In Disguise
Robot In Disguise

Unread postby Asmodeous_9th » Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:22 pm

The whole point is to teach your child common sense. There are two ways to learn it, through experience(you touch fire and learn it burns), or through your parents teaching you(look both ways when you cross the street). That's what you are supposed to do as a parent, prevent your child from getting hurt by teaching them common sense.

This applies directly to violence in games, or any other media. If you never teach your child that shooting someone could kill them, then when they play a game that shows them that they could use an automatic weapon to gun down a group of people, the people will just get up after.
Asmodeous_9th
Apprentice

Unread postby Marc » Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:56 pm

Asmodeous_9th wrote:If you never teach your child that shooting someone could kill them, then when they play a game that shows them that they could use an automatic weapon to gun down a group of people, the people will just get up after.

And I say that's ridiculous. The very few people that have killed someone after playing a game (and to me, they're just blaming games to avoid any serious punishment) have been in their teens, and they damn well know common sense, even if they didn't exhibit it when they murdered that person. Even if a child doesn't have common sense, there's hardly any chance they'd get up and kill someone after playing a game - the idea is just stupid. I started playing Super Mario Bros when I was younger than five years old - and I didn't go out and stomp on people's heads afterwards.

The point is, videogames do not influence people to kill.
Omae wa mo shindeiru
Marc
Robot In Disguise
Robot In Disguise

Unread postby Shield of Rohan » Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:54 am

SYL wrote:Y'see, in Britain, we already have a system where BBFC classifications (which all films and some games are subject to) make it illegal to sell certain products to people under a certain age. This works in tandem with the ESRB, but where that is a recommendation, anything with a BBFC classification is enforced by law. Perhaps a similar system would be warranted?

As for the Bible Game, unfortunately, I think it's not going to be very good. And, I mean, it's only the Old Testament. Are they planning on doing an expansion with the New Testament? Jesus Add-On Party Pack? Food for thought.

Fully in agreement. ESRB ought to be enforced as underage restrictions are imposed for other media in America.

And I can't wait for the Apocalypse Expansion :lol: .
"I have gained this by philosophy: that I do without being commanded, what others do only from fear of the law." -Aristotle
Shield of Rohan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Asmodeous_9th » Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:39 pm

Marc wrote:The point is, videogames do not influence people to kill.

The reason for that is that they have common sense. They are taught that since birth by their parents. See the connection? I'm not saying that games affect everyone, only those individuals that are not well adapted. When such an individual is a child, then the parents have the responsability to control what they play. If he is an adult, then he shouldn't really be out and about without some sort of supervision anyways.
Asmodeous_9th
Apprentice

Unread postby Marc » Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:20 pm

Asmodeous_9th wrote:The reason for that is that they have common sense. They are taught that since birth by their parents. See the connection? I'm not saying that games affect everyone, only those individuals that are not well adapted. When such an individual is a child, then the parents have the responsability to control what they play. If he is an adult, then he shouldn't really be out and about without some sort of supervision anyways.

I'm saying that games don't influence anyone. And don't take that literally - obviously they influence in terms of imagination and so on, but not to kill, no matter how well adapted they are. Besides, the two teenagers that fired shots down upon a highway after playing Grand Theft Auto (to me, another excuse) seemed pretty normal - they weren't prone to spontaneous outbreaks of shooting people regularly. So my point is that it's the person, not the game, that perpetuates the killing.
Omae wa mo shindeiru
Marc
Robot In Disguise
Robot In Disguise

Unread postby Asmodeous_9th » Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:39 pm

I agree 100% on that Marc, games have no influence on a sane person. They are just used as a scape goat for all the real problems out there. I think it's funny how supposedly a violent game like GTA can make you want to kill someone, while a violent movie will not.
Asmodeous_9th
Apprentice

PreviousNext

Return to Current Affairs