Videogame Violence?

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Unread postby Jimayo » Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:40 am

DynastyWarriors6 wrote:I will admit I am more prone to do a violent act after playing a violent video game, and I bet most people are.


You'd bet wrong. Very few people are prone to violent acts at all, regardless of stimuli.
98% of the internet population has a Myspace. If you're part of the 2% that isn't an emo bastard, copy and paste this into your sig.
Jimayo
Lord of the Thirteen Hells
 
Posts: 3308
Joined: Sat Jun 15, 2002 1:38 am
Location: Nothingness. And that's where I'll be returning in oh, about 15 minutes.

Unread postby EVERYTHING » Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:27 am

Jimayo wrote:You'd bet wrong. Very few people are prone to violent acts at all, regardless of stimuli.

Prone to aggressive behavior I'd say. Espically if the game annoyed you (of course anything that really annoys you makes you more aggresive). An aggressive/ adjatated person is more likely to solve a problem with violence.
User avatar
EVERYTHING
Scholar of Shen Zhou
 
Posts: 1583
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:28 am

Unread postby bodidley » Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:43 am

Perhaps a person might be agitated by a game, much like being agitated when unable to work a $20 gizmo that was recently purchased. However, if someone arms himself and goes somewhere to indiscriminately attack people, then he's crazy regardless of what stimuli he encountered at any given moment, and there is a much deeper problem. Something I've noticed about the perpetrators in several cases of meaningless violence (like the Columbine shooting, you know the type), and I'm sure I'm not the first to notice, is that they tend to be either narcissistic, megalomaniacal, or both. What really motivates them? Fame by any means. Maybe our culture of celebrity worship isn't taking enough blame.
bodidley
Scholar of Shen Zhou
 
Posts: 1019
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:33 am
Location: I'm an everywhere man

Unread postby Jordan » Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:52 am

Why I said maybe I should not have posted. Regardless I know many people who get a little more aggressive playing a game, is it fact? no and you can't prove otherwise either.


Different people are affected differently from the same stimuli. So if you know people who go nuts after they play videogames (nuts not necessarily meaning crazy but implying a sort of hyper, adrenaline-rushed emotions), it's possible and likely that they respond differently to videogames than other people might.

... where are these riots coming from? No I didn't say video games invite wide spread violence.


And...that's exactly what I'm saying. They don't spread wide-spread violence, in fact they hardly spread any violence. Certainly not enough to justify a claim that "Videogames spread and cause violence," and thus should be eliminated from markets or modified like Grand Theft Auto: Vice City.

No the vidoe game isn't the trigger, it's the fact that they start to live out a fantasy. Not saying this would be a common thing, but as I said like child pornography if they don't have the ability to see and enjoy their wrong fantasy they'd be less likely to act on the fantasy.


Well then practically any stimuli could affect the person in question, not just videogames. They could also watch...say a violent movie and start wanting to go ballistic.

aggressive =\= violence. Besides a single article proves nothing, and yes I should not have brought up something I couldn't backup.


If you read it somewhere I trust your word. Often I have trouble finding links to pages that I've read in the past, even with search engines. I understand your point. A single article proves nothing and often a study or even a few studies prove little. In essence, studies are experiments and like all experiments they are not "fact." The results of an experiment need to be the same or similar nearly every time before an educated theory or thesis can be made on the subject. In this particular case, I have a feeling that if you did this "experiment" or "study" over and over, the results would vary slightly or even majorly every time. The results, being inconsistent, then might prove that the results of the original study were not absolute in every case.

I do believe the thing about those that video games inspire violence thoery is the person isn't right to begin with. Sure I doubt anyone here would go on a killing rampage but a video game might tip someone over the edge is the idea. I can see it as a possible but don't believe a video game alone can cause violence in a person.


But basically any stimuli could affect the "crazed" person in question. And besides this it is the slightly mental, miserable or unstable person who is really responsible for the violence, not the videogames themselves. Even if videogames are really the final step to make somebody go over the edge, I'm sure other things like stress, personal anguish, mental instability, etc. would be a greater factor in causing a person to resort to violence than videogames.

Maybe our culture of celebrity worship isn't taking enough blame.


Death to Celebrities! :devil:

I think you might be right. But I also think that many of these people feel that their life is pointless, it sucks, etc. and so they, seeking fame and an end to it all, want to go massacre a bunch of people and possibly commit suicide/escape. So bullying plays a role in this stuff as well and is a bigger root of the problem than videogames. (Which have practically no effect in influencing sensible people to act a certain way...) Quite honestly I think that many people in this world, more people than one might think, are a little bit or even quite a bit unstable. I have heard tales of women who committed suicide or almost went down this path because their boyfriend dumped them, a very minor thing in my opinion. I'm not sure what causes this instability, but it would be foolish to try to blame one aspect of society as it stands today. Some things are even scientific...for instance there are higher suicide rates in places that have less sunlight.
User avatar
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou
 
Posts: 5934
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:52 am

Unread postby Dragonus » Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:42 pm

I can understand how video game violence is such a problem, but the politicians got what they wanted and everything now has a rating. The ratings are meant to warn an individual of the content of the game, this system is especially useful for parents who are or should be worried about what kind of games their children are wanting to purchase. Now I have played one of the most violent games ever. That game being God of War. This game contains some of the violent scences I have seen in gaming and with the power of the PS2 these graphics are even more.....graphic. Video game violence is being given to much attetion, with my example of God of War, the violence and nudity were not the only things in the game. The game contained a story, puzzles, dialogue, characters, etc. Unfortunately the only two things that God of War is being famous for is the violence and the sex mini game. If anything this emergence of sex in video game is what needs to be stopped. God of War, GTA, and even Final Fantasy7 had a slight sex symbol in it. That being Don Corneo and his brothel. FF7 isn't remebered for the sex or the violence it is remembered because it was a great game. Violence is present in games and in some cases there is more of it then there needs to be, that is why there are so many markings on the box, reviews in magazines and on t.v. Now you shouldn't trust everything on t.v. that is said about video games unless it is actually a commercial for the game. To close, video games, not just video games but all media, being targeted as the corruption of the youth of America is ridiculious and politicians should actually be working on more important things such as healing our still wounded country of America.
Tigers like me, are always searching for Chaos.
User avatar
Dragonus
Master
 
Posts: 242
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2004 4:19 pm
Location: Searching for Odessa

Unread postby SYL » Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:44 pm

I'm sure I'm not the first to notice, is that they tend to be either narcissistic, megalomaniacal, or both.


Often emotionally or physically abused, as well. That's an important one.
aortic high arctic part mood altered paradise is lost
SYL
Esswhyell
 
Posts: 1698
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:44 pm
Location: Ivory Tower

Unread postby Jordan » Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:13 pm

I don't even think there's such a thing as emotional abuse. I don't agree with the whole idea of "Words hurt as much as violence." It seems dumb to me.

To close, video games, not just video games but all media, being targeted as the corruption of the youth of America is ridiculious and politicians should actually be working on more important things such as healing our still wounded country of America.


Yes and Hilary Clinton should stop this nonsense. Seriously it's so stupid and is being targetted for no reason. The ratings labels are all videogames need. As long as parents are smart enough to keep their kids away from what they deem as evil, then there should not even be a discussion about videogame violence. So in short I think most people here agree that, once again, lazy parents are to blame for videogame violence, along with every other problem in the world. So when you go home kids, yell at your lazy parents or someone else's lazy parents for not taking care of their kids well enough and blaming everything else imaginable instead when, in reality, they are to blame. When I was a kid I knew that I was making the world a safer, less violent place by forcing my dad through mid-life crises ten years before his deadline.

Unfortunately the only two things that God of War is being famous for is the violence and the sex mini game.


Indeed I think when people see sex or any kind of violence (including depicted violence to animals or something) they immediately rush on that, ignoring everything else about the videogame. I have not played God of War but I've heard good things. And the sex + violence does not define the entire game.

If anything this emergence of sex in video game is what needs to be stopped


Meh, it's not needed. I don't see why it's good or bad. It pretty much does not really do much for the game itself but if it's in the game I don't see the problem.
User avatar
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou
 
Posts: 5934
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:52 am

Unread postby SYL » Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:38 pm

I don't even think there's such a thing as emotional abuse.


Physical violence is usually ephemeral. Emotinal abuse can screw you up for life, especially if perpetrated at a young age.

Damage done to a personality by the various forms of empotional "abuse" can and do lead to low self esteem, deficiency in interpersonal skills, a warped worldview, social phobias, and so on and so forth. There is plenty of evidence to support these claims, as well, both from simple common sense but also more importantly from plenty of research studies and psychological analysis.

Saying "there's no such thing as emotional abuse" is a counterintuitive statement at best, considering nearly everyone encounters it to some degree in their lives.
aortic high arctic part mood altered paradise is lost
SYL
Esswhyell
 
Posts: 1698
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:44 pm
Location: Ivory Tower

Unread postby EVERYTHING » Sun Aug 21, 2005 12:51 am

SlickSlicer wrote:I don't even think there's such a thing as emotional abuse. I don't agree with the whole idea of "Words hurt as much as violence." It seems dumb to me.

You must have had a sheltered childhood. I seem to remember being rather hurt by the words of others. It does add up rather quickly.

SlickSlicer wrote:Yes and Hilary Clinton should stop this nonsense. Seriously it's so stupid and is being targetted for no reason.

No, actually it does help thier career's.

SlickSlicer wrote:So in short I think most people here agree that, once again, lazy parents are to blame for videogame violence, along with every other problem in the world.

I totally disagree with this. I agree that parents should take a large part of the blame but there aren't the only thing. You may believe that emotional abuse doesn't exist but a person that has gone on a killing rampage most likely has been emotionally abused for years amongst other things.

Dragonus wrote:The game contained a story, puzzles, dialogue, characters, etc. Unfortunately the only two things that God of War is being famous for is the violence and the sex mini game.

But did it need that degree of violence? Did it need the sex mini game? Story,dialogue and characters are expected in every game. Puzzles can be expected but generally isn't needed. Besides the problem with the sex and violence is the question of what they do to people. Seeing someone get shot in a video game/ movie/ tv show we should be horrified but we aren't. The sex I'm not touching just because I don't see what negative effects it would have...

Dragonus wrote:To close, video games, not just video games but all media, being targeted as the corruption of the youth of America is ridiculious and politicians should actually be working on more important things such as healing our still wounded country of America.

But video games are new. And those politicians didn't grow up with them but did grow up with a tv and watching movies. So clearly the thing they didn't have is the reason they are acting the way parents don't want them to act.

SlickSlicer wrote:Different people are affected differently from the same stimuli.

Agreed. The point is this stimuli very well may push over 1 in a billion people to do something wrong. Thus making it an issue.

SlickSlicer wrote:If you read it somewhere I trust your word.

Thanks Slick :P But the reason I feel it to be true and there being something to do was that I know being who can get extremely annoyed and aggressive when and after playing video games. So it's basically my own experiences that tell me there has to be some true to it.
User avatar
EVERYTHING
Scholar of Shen Zhou
 
Posts: 1583
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:28 am

Unread postby bodidley » Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:28 am

Plenty of people get "emotionally abused", and adolescent boys are particularly enthusiastic about taunting eachother. I would also say that physical abuse can cause emotional damage. Yet, so many people get teased or bullied and don't go on kill-crazy rampages. I suspect that any bullying or social alienation that the kind of perpetrators of which we are speaking experience might only be small fuel to a much greater psychological disturbance and not a "cause" at all. Of course, it's a much better explanation than "brainwashing" video games.
bodidley
Scholar of Shen Zhou
 
Posts: 1019
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:33 am
Location: I'm an everywhere man

PreviousNext

Return to Current Affairs

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Copyright © 2002–2008 Kongming’s Archives. All Rights Reserved