Videogame Violence?

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Unread postby James » Tue Jul 30, 2002 11:10 am

I remember watching a television special on a teenage murderer a few years back. They hypothesized that part of the problem might have been the teenager's interest in video games. They started showing clips from games that included things like Doom, but I remember getting outraged with my friends when they showed Final Fantasy VII.

How pathetic is that? Really? These people know absolutely nothing about the games they accuse, but don't hesitate to attack an entire subculture. It is more than just this. Ask pretty much any parent that says video games lead to violence to list the violent games. They may list a few dead-ons like GTA, but they will usually give a list of other games that their child plays. I have head Pokemon on this list. How pathetic. And people wonder why so many people say “ignorance is bliss”.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Alucard » Tue Jul 30, 2002 11:33 am

Zhuge Kongming wrote:I remember watching a television special on a teenage murderer a few years back. They hypothesized that part of the problem might have been the teenager's interest in video games. They started showing clips from games that included things like Doom, but I remember getting outraged with my friends when they showed Final Fantasy VII.

i remember seeing that special.
pokemon is not violent. it cant be cause there is no fighting but the pokemon. mortal kombat is somethin that is probaly been on the list since day one. with all the heads going off and the pits. but anyway some parents dont even let their children with a game that has violence in it. i know someone that has that kinda of parent.
video games might urge some kids to be all violent but they shouldnt act on them. tv creates violence too. everybody knows wrestlin is fake but everyone make it all violent. some kid was doing a wrestlin move on his friend and the dude got his arms broken. so if kids get violence from video games why not tv. lets take them both out. and lets also take mankind out. violence is pretty much a everyday life. (i know someone is gonna reply to this)
I don't regret the decision I made that day. Even now. But...my heart still aches. I..I want to follow my heart. Whether it is right or wrong will be judged by history. - Pahn
Alucard
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: In a house where I open a door and another door appears.

Unread postby Han Xin » Tue Jul 30, 2002 11:43 am

Blamming voilent on videogames is just a pathetic excuse. Some parents just give birth to their childrens, never really raised them, and just purchase a box for them to look at all day. Yet when ever these kids who never really being taught grow up and become a mass murderer, they blamed it on games, movies, and books. Frankly it just a lame excuse of shifting responsibility of which they had failed as a parents. I am the biggest critic of censorship, and this is just another way irresponsible parents and tyranical goverment got together and influent what we could and could not read/play/watch....
Han Xin
Shu Emperor

Unread postby LittleConqueror » Wed Jul 31, 2002 3:53 am

Indeed, it's the parent's fault for not raising that child better. If a parent raises a child right, then nothing stupid will affect the child. It's the media fault along with parents. Parents hate being responsible and so they blame something, which the Media then magnifies way too much. It's a shame...
"Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence"
LittleConqueror
Scholar

Unread postby Lu Xun » Wed Jul 31, 2002 11:00 am

This is completely off the wall, comparable to "road rage" murders. Why can't people learn to calm down and not let petty problems get to them. Someone is better than you, so what? There is that old saying: "No matter how good you are, there is someone better out there." Now maybe the kid taunted the other, but is that any reason to shoot someone?

[rant] What is so bad about "losing" anyway. If anything the "loser" is the one who learns from the experience the most. I remeber going to arcade and playing people at fighting games. Some people get really competitive, like my friends and are...but it is only playful. Like for instance I was beating all my friends with my first character (of three) in a team match of King of Figthers 99, eventually it was getting old because I kept on winning. Then a certain friend came along and just kept on playing until he eventually beat me, I had so much fun in that last match. Sometimes you can have more fun with a loss than a win. Peole just need to calm themselves and not let their temper get the best of them. 8-) [/rant]
性高潮枪
"Cheap sandal-maker! Do you always send your little bastard to the field?
If I call my little yellowbeard Cao Zhang over, he'll make meatballs of him!"
- Mengde
Lu Xun
Crown Prince of Shen Zhou

Location: Drinking wine, writing poems, and spending time with my concubines

Unread postby Jonathan » Wed Jul 31, 2002 4:54 pm

I would say that in this situation there are a few people to blame.

1-The murderer for doing such an act in the first place, probably a sad man with a delicate ego that obviously was hurt when he lost

2-The parents

3-The girl for flaunting that he was a loser (though I know I haven’t thought ahead of myself a few times and mouthed off to a loser). This goes to show that sometimes there are consequences.

It isn’t the game that leads to violence it is the state of mind a person/persons rests in. I can see why people consider games to be a gateway into violence, but I only see that because I don’t think people really understand what the big problem is. And it isn’t the game it is the child/teen/adult who has an unstable mind, delicate enough to be influenced by a television screen.
Also known as Zhuge Xuanshi
"The problem with the gene pool is, there's no lifeguard."
-Steven Wright
Jonathan
Censored
Censored

Unread postby James » Wed Aug 21, 2002 5:39 am

Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Jonathan » Wed Aug 21, 2002 3:51 pm

*ROTFLMAO* James that’s terrible, it’s awful, I can’t believe you posted that kind of Spam; I love it!

Also known as Zhuge Xuanshi
"The problem with the gene pool is, there's no lifeguard."
-Steven Wright
Jonathan
Censored
Censored

Unread postby Starscream » Thu Aug 22, 2002 4:27 am

Most of us would have heard of Counterstrike. It was really hot in Singapore a year ago, and there were many LAN shops opened to cater for this game. Then there was an incident of a teen being arrested for hurting another with a penknife after being "shot dead" by the latter in the game. I am just amused at how these people can take things so seriously. Supposed if guns were allowed in Singapore, I don't think the victim would be able to just get away with a penknife stab, most likely he would have been killed.

So just a question out of curiosity, can videogames actually control our minds? :wink:
Starscream
Decepticon Air Commander

Unread postby Asellas » Thu Jun 12, 2003 7:23 pm

From that article, I would find that a lot of people aren't mature enough to handle defeat. It is like playing Chess, losing and flicking the pieces.
People who do this haven't separated reality from VR. They also don't lead a good life a they probably greedy and selfish and act like a stuck-up 5 year old, it is horrible to hear of people being killed namingly for beating another person at a game.

I blame the parents, they probably don't care about the content games contain and don't get a lil bit of info to see if there son/daughter would be able to handle it. They obviously don't know there offspring, children ned to be shown IMo from a early age a sense of Decency and right and wrong though that isn't the case. The parents probably don't teach them all aspects of life so the child is not brought up propally.

I blame the murderer for not being a mature, sophistacated and grown up about the possibilty of losng at a game, everyone is always beat by someone else and I blame the parents for not bringing them up in a decent society. That is all.
"Winter is coming".
"I like hurting people...it's what I do best because I am heartless".
"Love is for poets, romance is for playwrights, and sex is for procreation - I desire none of them"
Asellas
Lord of Winterfell

PreviousNext

Return to Current Affairs