Death Penalty

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

For or against the death penalty

For
46%
Against
33%
Conditional (explain)
21%

Total votes : 125

Unread postby James » Mon Oct 21, 2002 9:00 am

Do you think increasing use of the death penalty would serve to enhance the sort of crime we are seeing all around now (child kidnappings/rape, murder, the DC sniper) or do you think it would help the problem?

If you haven’t posted yet, what do you think of the death penalty?
Share your thoughts and tell us about your conclusion.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Cao Ren » Mon Oct 21, 2002 6:54 pm

I think the death penelty is a good thing because certain people must pay for their crimes through death. i do not think that because of some people being put to death was wat sparked kidnappings,rapes, and the sniper
Cao Ren
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Death Penalty!

Unread postby Sam Da Man » Mon Oct 21, 2002 7:08 pm

I say kill all people who are sentenced to life. It really is foolish to keep them alive when you know that they are going to end up being there forever. It is a waste of tax dollars and manpower. I say if you get life then you just get executed. This would be a good way to clear out alot of jail cells and act like a deterrent to future criminals.
"I have come out of the cave, join me" Sam Da Man's younger brother
Sam Da Man
Assistant

Re: Death Penalty!

Unread postby James » Mon Oct 21, 2002 8:15 pm

Sam Da Man wrote:I say kill all people who are sentenced to life. It really is foolish to keep them alive when you know that they are going to end up being there forever. It is a waste of tax dollars and manpower. I say if you get life then you just get executed. This would be a good way to clear out alot of jail cells and act like a deterrent to future criminals.

We can’t really just start killing them. The legal system is not accurate enough for that step. There are too many people locked up because a lineup was used for incrimination, or simply because law enforcement messed up.
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Sam Da Man » Mon Oct 21, 2002 9:50 pm

Zhuge Kongming wrote:
Sam Da Man wrote:I say kill all people who are sentenced to life. It really is foolish to keep them alive when you know that they are going to end up being there forever. It is a waste of tax dollars and manpower. I say if you get life then you just get executed. This would be a good way to clear out alot of jail cells and act like a deterrent to future criminals.

We can’t really just start killing them. The legal system is not accurate enough for that step. There are too many people locked up because a lineup was used for incrimination, or simply because law enforcement messed up.

Well, if they are locked up then they have been found guilty. I just would rather see the money go towards building schools and feeding the poor then keeping convicted criminals alive. :roll:
Sam Da Man
Assistant

Unread postby Harimau » Tue Oct 22, 2002 6:52 am

For some people, death is an escape from the harsh realities of life. Some people there might prefer death than prison, and the point of imprisonment is to punish them as severly as human rights can be scretched. And imprisonment not only effect the body, but also the psychological mind.
If I'm posting here, it means I'm procrastinating.
Harimau
Shangshu Ling

Unread postby James » Tue Oct 22, 2002 6:59 am

Sam Da Man wrote:Well, if they are locked up then they have been found guilty. I just would rather see the money go towards building schools and feeding the poor then keeping convicted criminals alive. :roll:

I wouldn’t shed a tear for the lifetime-convicted criminals if the legal system were fully reliable. Lately we have been bringing the death penalty more often to rapists and murderers though, so I am not too upset about it.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Sam Da Man » Tue Oct 22, 2002 9:43 am

Harimau wrote:

For some people, death is an escape from the harsh realities of life. Some people there might prefer death than prison, and the point of imprisonment is to punish them as severly as human rights can be scretched. And imprisonment not only effect the body, but also the psychological mind.

I actually really don't care about them suffering anymore. I just want them gone. It is really hurting us more if they stay alive then if they are dead. If they do want to kill themselves they can at anytime they want. So this makes me come to the conclusion that they would rather live. No extravegant executions either. One rope for all necks. This should cut the cost of using electricity, buying chemicals or bullets.

Zhuge Kongming wrote:I wouldn’t shed a tear for the lifetime-convicted criminals if the legal system were fully reliable. Lately we have been bringing the death penalty more often to rapists and murderers though, so I am not too upset about it.

Amen to that! Rapists and murderers have no consideration for others so why should others have any compassion for them? :twisted:
Sam Da Man
Assistant

Unread postby Zhao Yun of Changshan » Thu Oct 24, 2002 3:24 am

Kidnappings, rapes, etc. are crimes that shouldn't diserve execution, maybe a long time in jail to life. But any criminal that involved the killing of a person (or people) diserves to pay the price with their own life.
"None dare to engage the warrior at Dangyang....."
Zhao Yun of Changshan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby EERman » Wed Feb 25, 2004 1:09 am

i am all against the death penalty. if someone is convicted of a capitol crime, then the most they should get is life in jail. i think it is very inhumane, and also there might be a chance they are innocent. they could be wrongfully accused and put to death, then later find out that the prosecuters were holding back evidence and he was actually innocent. true story i might add.
Suger Is Sweet
EERman
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Current Affairs