Death Penalty

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

For or against the death penalty

For
46%
Against
33%
Conditional (explain)
21%

Total votes : 125

Unread postby Pang Shiyuan » Mon Jul 29, 2002 6:02 am

Zhuge Kongming wrote:I favor the death penalty for savage murderers and serial rapists. I have no sympathy for them and it pains me to pay for their ability to continue living. People like this deserve no second chance. Child rapists should be killed without question.

I agree so long as the accussed is proven to have committed the crime, after all, I don't want to see an innocent man wrongfully executed.
Pang Shiyuan
凤雏先生

Unread postby James » Mon Jul 29, 2002 6:18 am

Pang Shiyuan wrote:I agree so long as the accussed is proven to have committed the crime, after all, I don't want to see an innocent man wrongfully executed.

Of course. That much should be expected. Our government makes mistakes right now even with the current precautions.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Maria » Mon Jul 29, 2002 6:20 am

One question. Isn't by giving the criminals death penalty, then we make another murderer come? (the one who gives the injection)
Maria
Iron Duchess

Unread postby James » Mon Jul 29, 2002 6:39 am

Dragon_Girl wrote:One question. Isn't by giving the criminals death penalty, then we make another murderer come? (the one who gives the injection)

That is certainly an interesting view, but the difference is the reason why he is killing and the reason why the original killer killed. Death penalty is determined by a court and jury, the fellow at the end just carries it out.

Personally, I would rather have someone who kills children for fun and amusement killed than give him a chance to do it again after living off taxpayer dollars for X years.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Maria » Mon Jul 29, 2002 6:43 am

Zhuge Kongming wrote:
Dragon_Girl wrote:One question. Isn't by giving the criminals death penalty, then we make another murderer come? (the one who gives the injection)

That is certainly an interesting view, but the difference is the reason why he is killing and the reason why the original killer killed. Death penalty is determined by a court and jury, the fellow at the end just carries it out.

Yes, but still, we have this "undefined" killer at the very end. I heard that there's several people giving injections at the same time, but only one of the needle got the poison.

I too personally would kill those criminals, but I can't live with the consequences afterwards
Maria
Iron Duchess

Unread postby Phlegyas » Mon Jul 29, 2002 6:52 am

People who apply for executioner usually do not have the best consiences.

If you have problems with guilt, don't be the one to kill them.
"Woe unto you, ye souls depraved
Hope nevermore to look upon the heavens;
I come to lead you to the other shore,
To the eternal shades in heat and frost.
And thou, that yonder standest, living soul,
Withdraw thee from these people, the dead"
Phlegyas
Langzhong

Location: The dark catacombs of my mind. Longing for love, but getting lost in the labyrinth.

Unread postby Pappy O'daniels » Mon Jul 29, 2002 7:56 am

For, conditionally, depending on perpetrator's reasons, and whether if he lies he's lying to get out of punishment, or just plain delusional. Otherwise just call me the Chainsaw Al of the penal system. Bush'd have nothing on my monthly count, probably need a new power station for ol' sparky alone. :)
Pappy O'daniels
Initiate

Unread postby Alucard » Mon Jul 29, 2002 1:36 pm

im in favor of the death penalty. if they got killed someone he should pay back with his/her life.
this is not part of the topic but why is the electric chair or whatever the execuction thing is used? what happen to heads chop off
I don't regret the decision I made that day. Even now. But...my heart still aches. I..I want to follow my heart. Whether it is right or wrong will be judged by history. - Pahn
Alucard
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: In a house where I open a door and another door appears.

Unread postby Maria » Mon Jul 29, 2002 1:39 pm

Krimzon wrote:im in favor of the death penalty. if they got killed someone he should pay back with his/her life.
this is not part of the topic but why is the electric chair or whatever the execuction thing is used? what happen to heads chop off

Beheading people (Guan Yu's style) is not used anymore because it's considered to be brutal and inhuman. And it leaves a lot of blood marks, which is a not very nice view.

This could lead into protests from humanity groups, and peace groups.
Maria
Iron Duchess

Unread postby Lion's Mane » Mon Jul 29, 2002 3:20 pm

I'm for the death penalty in extreme crimes (instances already been mentioned), where there would be a benefit by removing the person all together. My uncle works at the Utah State Prison.

Honestly, and keep in mind, this is all hearsay, from what I understand of it, prison is NOT suffering. Three square meals a day, regular excercise, work, entertainment, a roof overhead, basic sanitation, health care, and a bed to sleep in. How many people don't have access to that? We're paying for serial rapists, mass murderers, and other high crime criminals to lead a life of general luxury.

Like I said, that's just hearsay I get from someone who works there, how many of us can actually know what it's like without being there?
Remember, children, "No two people are not on fire."
Lion's Mane
Lord of Annwn
Lord of Annwn

PreviousNext

Return to Current Affairs