Death Penalty

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

For or against the death penalty

For
58
47%
Against
41
33%
Conditional (explain)
25
20%
 
Total votes : 124

Unread postby dirtybird » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:49 am

Oh, i understand now. I thought he was speaking in general.
Everything i've obtained, and all i know; i give it away just to know you Lord.
User avatar
dirtybird
Scholar of Shen Zhou
 
Posts: 802
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:27 am
Location: I pray were GOD wants me to be.

Unread postby Frank » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:13 am

FuguNabe wrote:In an ideal world nothing should be above well enforced and maintained laws. It's not reducing itself to anything if it commits to dishing capital punishment. It would likely just provides more order.


But that same order is provided from simply locking away such maniacs.

FuguNabe wrote:Humane way? Do they deserve to be treated in humane way? It's not like prison treats them any nicer but it would just be a waste of space. How many prison would they have to build to contain all the criminals sentenced for life.


No, they don't deserve it, but that's what seperates us from them: a genuine value for the sanctity of life.

FuguNabe wrote:I've stated before I would rather pay more to ensure they're gone for good.


Hey man, I'm still in high school, so I don't have to worry too much about taxes. But if you're willing to pay a little more to go that extra mile, then by all means. :wink:

Granted, life in prison ensures the same results with less cost to you.

FuguNabe wrote:If they have no fear of death sentence to commit crime that shows that they are ready to face death at the hand of justice. Yes many have mental disorder so assuming that they can't survive in society and should either be sentenced to life in asylum or death sentence for being not fit to conformto society.


Actually, I don't believe they even consider the consequences of their actions. It's not so much that they don't fear death, just that they don't predict it as a possible outcome. I honestly don't believe that the guy that robs a liquor store and busts a cap into the cashier wonders to himself if he will die because of doing this, he only considers his short-term actions of escaping the authorities.

FuguNabe wrote:Again you are trying to make capital punishment and murder have the same literal meaning when it doesn't. You're probably the type refuse mercy killing even at a request right? If not I apologise for my assumption. Obviously I have to agree to disagree on this view. You have your opinion there and I have mine though I am following literal meaning.


Well, I am for mercy killing, and also for euthanasia, but there's no need to apologize.
Agreeing to disagree is fine by me.

FuguNabe wrote:So please tell me your why Frank? My why is so these garbage would be forever erased from this world. Literal life sentence is IMO providing a waste of living space for these criminals. Like I said before there are some criminals that still has sphere of influences outside the prison despite being locked up. This erases such possibilty altogether hence preventing further crime. Death sentences also examplifies and would likely have more of an effect to deter future crimes too as I've said many times over.


Because I don't believe in taking away life just for the sake of convenience in order simply to accomodate room for more criminals.

FuguNabe wrote:Then there's no need to bring it up. There's no comparison between the two because they are different topic.


I think you understand the connection I've tied between the two, just as you do witht he connection Kong Wen made earlier in his post regarding rape, but I'm not so sure you want to touch on it for some reason. So fine then, if you won't humor me, then let's just drop it.
/b/lackup has arrived.
Frank
Florida’s Finest
 
Posts: 2250
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:31 pm
Location: Cape Coral, FL

Unread postby FuguNabe » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:45 am

Frank wrote:But that same order is provided from simply locking away such maniacs.


Like I said before locking them away does not deter others with the same impact as capital punishment. Yes idiots will still do it but that's their problem and not mine. I've also brought up a point before asking how many prison do you expect the to build to accommodate all the life sentences. Waste of land IMO. From all my arguments I would say there's greater chance of order from bringing back capital punishment

Don't take this as belittling your arguments but you're high school student, so when you make serious money then come and talk to me again about where our money should go after it gets taxed ne... Seriously I wish I could live carefree like in high school days again. Damn now I'm sounding older than I really am (I'm only 29)... haha :P
Cynicism in my lyricism? Life has been series of questions and sessions of lessons to enhance my essence...

Knowledge is god as despite my iaido skills my pen is is mightier than my sword...

With a tongue to match my wit your mental death swift...
User avatar
FuguNabe
Scholar of Shen Zhou
 
Posts: 1276
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:26 am
Location: You'd find me at some karaoke drinking and singing with ladies on the weekend

The Death Penalty

Unread postby Xian Xu » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:10 am

I disagree with the death penalty for moral reasons; it is my personal belief that taking a life because it is justified by peers is no better than murder.

However, I would never use the opinion above in a debate or argument, because no one would ever be able to change my personal beliefs easily, I would not expect to change other people’s beliefs easily.

My main argument in debates and arguments has always been that you cannot rely on a human judicial process to make reliable enough decisions to grant the power of the death penalty. In the last 30 years, about 125 death sentences have been overturned in the United States, this exemplifies how a human process is prone to error and is not reliable enough to decide the execution of a person. No matter how great our tools are, the system will always be human and as a result, it will always be flawed.

Philosophically, it is wrong because the process brutalizes the society at large and promotes discrimination. In addition, the judicial process desensitizes and dehumanizes participants.
Xiǎn Xù (冼旭)
User avatar
Xian Xu
Scholar
 
Posts: 326
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 2:11 am
Location: Grand Rapids, MI, US

Unread postby Ju Bei » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:50 am

dirtybird wrote:Isn't that what maximum security prisons are for? Maybe it's just me but i and the death penalty do not agree.


It's cool, no one will agree or like everything.

Yes to a degree. No matter how secure a prison may be it has its holes. Since these men/women have all the time in the world to observe the prison system they can find the flaws and they do. The leaders of the largest Aryan race gang leaders are in supermax prisons but they still call the shots. From them they send out messages to their soldiers about hits and drug deals both inside and outside of the prison systems even prison systems that are 400 miles away. The flow of information(and influence) is something that isn't slowed or stopped just because they are in the most secure prison.

The only way to avoid the death penalty would require all prisoners to be segregated in single cells and only let out one hour a day. No contact with anyone and the cells would have to be completely closed in, otherwise "kites" can still be used to pass info. However segregation would be expensive and detrimental to the psyche of the individuals, as if being locked away in the same room everyday is any better.

To anyone - if I miss spelled or used incorrect terms let me know :wink:
"Let's face it, comedy's a dead art form. Tragedy, now that's funny."

"Fine. I'll go build my own lunar lander! With blackjack! And hookers! In fact, forget the lunar lander and the blackjack! Ah, screw the whole thing."
User avatar
Ju Bei
The Black Swordsman
 
Posts: 1347
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2002 11:15 am
Location: A Crimson Cosmos

Unread postby Jebusrocks » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:33 am

I have no idea wat u guys just posted, but,,,

Death Penalty should not exist. Life sentence in prison should. It would save some innocent lives. But i just dont believe in Killing. He could work his life out in jail to pay money for the families he or she killed in prison
It is curious that the Americans, who calculate so carefully on the possibilities of military victory, do not realize that in the process they are incurring deep psychological and political defeat.
User avatar
Jebusrocks
Scholar of Shen Zhou
 
Posts: 2407
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:22 am

Unread postby dirtybird » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:12 pm

Ju Bei wrote:
dirtybird wrote:Isn't that what maximum security prisons are for? Maybe it's just me but i and the death penalty do not agree.


It's cool, no one will agree or like everything.

Yes to a degree. No matter how secure a prison may be it has its holes. Since these men/women have all the time in the world to observe the prison system they can find the flaws and they do. The leaders of the largest Aryan race gang leaders are in supermax prisons but they still call the shots. From them they send out messages to their soldiers about hits and drug deals both inside and outside of the prison systems even prison systems that are 400 miles away. The flow of information(and influence) is something that isn't slowed or stopped just because they are in the most secure prison.

The only way to avoid the death penalty would require all prisoners to be segregated in single cells and only let out one hour a day. No contact with anyone and the cells would have to be completely closed in, otherwise "kites" can still be used to pass info. However segregation would be expensive and detrimental to the psyche of the individuals, as if being locked away in the same room everyday is any better.

To anyone - if I miss spelled or used incorrect terms let me know :wink:


i see what you are saying, no matter how secure a prison may seem to be, there are always things going on inside that shouldn't be. Understandable. It seems as though the justice system will never be satisfied unless they take another human life.
Everything i've obtained, and all i know; i give it away just to know you Lord.
User avatar
dirtybird
Scholar of Shen Zhou
 
Posts: 802
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:27 am
Location: I pray were GOD wants me to be.

Unread postby Mistelten » Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:44 am

jebusrocks wrote:I have no idea wat u guys just posted, but,,,

Death Penalty should not exist. Life sentence in prison should. It would save some innocent lives. But i just dont believe in Killing. He could work his life out in jail to pay money for the families he or she killed in prison


Not railing against your point, I just want to know the rationale behind this.
His use for prison labor aside (currently under attack by criminals who willfully misread the 13th amendment), why is it less humane to kill someone quickly than to do it by life internment, in a facility where he will inevitably be raped repeatedly?
User avatar
Mistelten
Scholar of Shen Zhou
 
Posts: 2832
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2004 5:12 am

Unread postby Ju Bei » Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:55 am

Mistelten wrote:
Not railing against your point, I just want to know the rationale behind this.
His use for prison labor aside (currently under attack by criminals who willfully misread the 13th amendment), why is it less humane to kill someone quickly than to do it by life internment, in a facility where he will inevitably be raped repeatedly?


Don't forget being beaten, used as currency which goes along with the rape, shanked/racial wars, easy drug addiction, and also use as slave labor.. Yes its slave labor, otherwise they would make more than eight cents an hour. All of these are common among prisons.

To be honest, if I ever end up in a position where I have to got to jail for a long period of time, Im going to either request a speedy death penalty or just shoot it out with the cops (although I would miss on purpose).. Heh.. Death is much more appealing to me than prison.
"Let's face it, comedy's a dead art form. Tragedy, now that's funny."

"Fine. I'll go build my own lunar lander! With blackjack! And hookers! In fact, forget the lunar lander and the blackjack! Ah, screw the whole thing."
User avatar
Ju Bei
The Black Swordsman
 
Posts: 1347
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2002 11:15 am
Location: A Crimson Cosmos

Re: Death Penalty

Unread postby Iain » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:29 am

I am against death penalty's its too easy to kill the wrong person then and anyone who thinks they'd rather be dead than rehabilitated in prison hasn't tried being dead lately. ^^
User avatar
Iain
Lord of Nanchang
 
Posts: 4753
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2003 7:55 am
Location: Lost in the fun world of Vana'diel.

PreviousNext

Return to Current Affairs

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests

Copyright © 2002–2008 Kongming’s Archives. All Rights Reserved