The General News Thread

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Unread postby Omega52 » Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:25 pm

Elven Fury wrote:Yea this is one of those things you pray will never happen b/c the losses would be so tremendous but i saw these shows on The Discovery Channel too and its scary b/c all these things are overdue to happen... IMO this is leadding to the end of the world... but i wont bring that into it...

Well, it wouldn't necessarily be that, because places in the eastern hemisphere would be innefected by this.
"I mistrust the judgement of every man in a case in which his own wishes are concerned."- Field Marshal Arthur Wellesley
Omega52
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Hitokiri Battousai » Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:39 pm

I just hope the crazed "hippie" people dont find out or they will be running around yelling "the end is coming! the end is coming!"

Oh can u imagin... :x
Clutching my cure, I tightly lock the door
I try to catch my breath again
I hurt much more, than any time before
I have no options left again
Hitokiri Battousai
Changshi

Unread postby Asellas » Wed Mar 24, 2004 11:27 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/South/03/23/ ... index.html

I just saw this thread about this topic and followed the link to CNN...
Do you think the parents really cared, even if they have "Bad" backgrounds of their own with the police and courts?
"Winter is coming".
"I like hurting people...it's what I do best because I am heartless".
"Love is for poets, romance is for playwrights, and sex is for procreation - I desire none of them"
Asellas
Lord of Winterfell

Unread postby Rhiannon » Fri Mar 26, 2004 6:31 am

Asellas wrote:http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/South/03/23/kindegarten.marijuana.ap/index.html

Do you think the parents really cared, even if they have "Bad" backgrounds of their own with the police and courts?

Of course they don't. It's a wonder children of some of those parents even survive, to be honest. Oh wait, oftentimes they survive just to get free money from the state for drugs.

Yes, I'm stereotyping there, but it ticks me off.
"For us to have self-esteem is truly an act of revolution and our revolution is long overdue."
— Margaret Cho
Rhiannon
Joy & Oblivion
Joy & Oblivion

Unread postby Rhiannon » Wed Apr 07, 2004 1:00 am

From a previous thread:

Han Xin wrote:
Man Chong wrote:http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1541&ncid=1541&e=3&u=/afp/20040405/en_afp/cambodia_birthday_040405095801

Interesting....Can you really do that....?

This is not uncommon in a country rampant by wars. Neither of my parents had their real birthday recorded on their birth certificate. My dad was over a 6 months older than what is written on his birth certifcate and my mum had no idea about her real birthday, all my grandmother told her was that she was born during the rice harvest season in the year of the boar.
"For us to have self-esteem is truly an act of revolution and our revolution is long overdue."
— Margaret Cho
Rhiannon
Joy & Oblivion
Joy & Oblivion

Unread postby Gaara of the Desert » Mon Apr 26, 2004 2:57 am

Wild-Eyes wrote:
Asellas wrote:http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/South/03/23/kindegarten.marijuana.ap/index.html

Of course they don't. It's a wonder children of some of those parents even survive, to be honest. Oh wait, oftentimes they survive just to get free money from the state for drugs.

Yes, I'm stereotyping there, but it ticks me off.

I think i have enough knowledge to say your stereotyping is "unjust". Kids will be kids, they have a habit of finding things. The comparable example is a kid who's told to only ring 999 in an emergency. The kid will still go on and do it anyway sometimes. Marijuana is nothing in this world nowadays, it doesn't stop anyone being a good person. If they were smacked out on Heroin or Cocaine then fine, but there really is no need to stereotype Marijuana users.

*Mini-rant over*
Signature: This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
Gaara of the Desert
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Cao Lu » Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:28 pm

I found a somewhat interesting article about a new elastic metal here: http://www.radioactif.com/technologie/1 ... st-ne.html (It's a french article, however). Here is my attempt at translating it (i translated only the intro and the most important stuff about this):

''Elastic metal can be fold just like a leaf, stretched just like an elastic and even be heated up to 200 Celcius degrees. In any case, it will return to its initial shape. Scientists are currently concerned about the production of large sheets of this form of metal (30.5cm2) which takes approximatly 3 days for robots to make, as elastic metal is constructed one molecule after another.''

(Then they explain how exactly the metal is made. Sorry, I could not traduce this parts, as many words are beyond my knowledge of english.)

''The potential of this new material is very promising and many future applications are already being thought of; such as planes with variable morphology and flexible, sensitive gloves of handling. However, the first uses of this material are going to be more simple such as equipping our electronical portable gadgets (i.e cellphones, laptops, etc...) with cables made of this material, so that they will resist any torture we cast upon them.

Production of elastic metal should begin in approximately 1 year.''

Sorry if some parts are unclear.

A most interesting thing, IMO.
''Leave the rest to us, I beleive it is well past your bedtime!'' -Takeda Shingen to Date Masamune, Samurai Warriors
Cao Lu
Assistant

Unread postby Elven Fury » Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:41 pm

Hmm i would love to have a car made out of this stuff when it becomes cheaper...
It is important to draw wisdom from many different places. If we take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale. Understanding others - other people, other beliefs, and other nations - will help you become whole.
Elven Fury
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Cao Lu » Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:45 pm

Cars made out of this could have more resistance to crashes. I don't think we'll see cars made out of this until a loooooooooong time, however.
''Leave the rest to us, I beleive it is well past your bedtime!'' -Takeda Shingen to Date Masamune, Samurai Warriors
Cao Lu
Assistant

Unread postby Elven Fury » Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:48 pm

Cao Lu wrote:Cars made out of this could have more resistance to crashes. I don't think we'll see cars made out of this until a loooooooooong time, however.

i wouldnt be surprised to see a high rate company like ferrari to have one by 2008... but for the others to have one will be 10 yrs or more due to prices being so high..
It is important to draw wisdom from many different places. If we take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale. Understanding others - other people, other beliefs, and other nations - will help you become whole.
Elven Fury
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Current Affairs