The General News Thread

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Re: The General News Thread

Unread postby DaoLunOfShiji » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:01 pm

"Break the siege of the Yellow Vests! Humble the rebels!" - DW3 He Jin :lol:
"Looking at Zhong Hui is like viewing an armory, one sees only spears and lances"
— Pei Kai
Check out this list of historical resources I have.
Check out this list of cited biographies I have written.
DaoLunOfShiji
Scholar

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:33 pm

Sun Fin wrote:Anyone following the ‘Yellow Vest’ protests in France? The events are truly awful. However I can't help but picture the Zhang brothers in fluorescent yellow jackets! :lol:

I did think of the Yellow Turbans too. :lol:

I've been following it, only because I think it might end up a lot bigger and widespread in Europe. The media is painting it as "merely a fuel tax" protest, which is definitely the prime motivation, but they've since incorporated something like 50 other issues now, including repealing other taxes and tightening down on immigration and requiring assimilation to French culture.

They are protesting against one of the least-approved administrations in the Western world. Similar to May, Macron might face a no confidence vote soon too, maybe tomorrow. Also similar to May, there doesn't seem to be many good replacements.
Jia Nanfeng
Sage

Unread postby Sun Fin » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:43 pm

I agree that the protest has now become about a whole range of issues which is likely to led to ongoing unrest in France. Personally, I'm not convinced it will spread through the rest of Europe. France have a long history and reputation for political turmoil and heated protests, much of the rest of Europe are more measured. Then again the UK are generally considered the staid, stable European country and we're ripping ourselves apart at the moment so who knows what's going to happen next. It does feel like a lot of countries are making absurd decisions at the moment. The UK, France and the way the Spanish have dealt with the Catalonia issue to name but a few.
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:57 am

-New York Times attempts to get stories of crime in London has not gone well
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:47 am

Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:11 pm

I suspect Gatwick drone story bad for drones (will be tighter regulation after this), environmentalists (the accusation is a environmentalist lone wolf, creates all sorts of ill will for an important cause), Westminster (why hadn't they tightened up regulations?) and of course those poor people with holiday plans wrecked
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:47 pm

Measles cases are at their highest level for 20 years in Europe, thank you anti vaccine movement. I would like if governments could charge the increased medical costs on that movement
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:12 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:Measles cases are at their highest level for 20 years in Europe, thank you anti vaccine movement. I would like if governments could charge the increased medical costs on that movement

Yeah areas of USA had a measles outbreak last year because of the antivaxers.

I’m all for requiring vaccines across the board. There’s no good reason to have the freedom to deny them.
Jia Nanfeng
Sage

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:48 pm

I suspect governments are worried about how, if one does this for vaccines, how it could be a precedent that gets abused by those with less benevolent intent
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:45 pm

Jia Nanfeng wrote:
Dong Zhou wrote:Measles cases are at their highest level for 20 years in Europe, thank you anti vaccine movement. I would like if governments could charge the increased medical costs on that movement

Yeah areas of USA had a measles outbreak last year because of the antivaxers.

I’m all for requiring vaccines across the board. There’s no good reason to have the freedom to deny them.

We all seem to be on the same page for this issue, but lot of Americans would (and with success) argue with this notion. Be it on general freedom grounds or the first amendment.
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Current Affairs