The General News Thread

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Re: The General News Thread (formerly "Minor Headlines")

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:34 pm

The Republic of Ireland becomes first country in Europe to go for plain packaging of ciggerates, legal challenges expected.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby James » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:30 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:The Republic of Ireland becomes first country in Europe to go for plain packaging of ciggerates, legal challenges expected.

Philip Morris et al. in 3... 2... 1...

Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:50 pm

Thorbjoern Jagland becomes the first Noble Prize chair to resign, though remains on committee. Some speculate it is due to some strange choice of winners, others in a bid by Norway to appease China, others due to Norway changing government.

EU reviewing policy towards Ukraine and to migrants from outside EU

Chicago’s Volo Auto Museum has committed to giving away its Back to the Future DeLorean Time Machine if the Chicago Cubs can win the 2015 Major League Baseball World Series.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:12 pm

Jeremy Clarkson suspended from Top Gear after allegations of a fight with producers and no episode this weekend.

European Parliament has come up with a deal to cap the fees retailers pay to process debit and credit card transactions (0.2% for debit cards and 0.3% for credit cards)
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:33 am

Dong Zhou wrote:Jeremy Clarkson suspended from Top Gear after allegations of a fight with producers and no episode this weekend.

Sacked. Some view this as a left-ist conspiracy to axe a populist right-winger, others see it as punching your underlings is a no no and doing it when BBC is reeling from what their untouchable stars have done in the past was really bad timing.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:40 am

I don't like the leftist agenda within the BBC but Clarkson punched his boss for crying out loud. He had to go.
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby SunXia » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:14 pm

Not to mention him using racist slang during recordings in the past, using generalizations about truck drivers when it comes to murders and other such nice things Clarkson is known for. I used to really love Top Gear, so much so that while I hoped he didn't die, I was sad that he Hamster might not be able to do more when injured. But I stopped watching, Clarkson just gone too farm dd too many things that others are fired for and considered himself untouchable.
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:03 pm

Yeah, I thought BBC should have sacked him in recent years and that may have played into a sense of being untouchable.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:13 pm

I'm sure everyone by now is familiar with the bad news from the world of late-night talk television that Jon Stewart is leaving The Daily Show.

The good news, though, is that the guy they got to replace him, South African stand-up comic Trevor Noah, actually isn't half bad. He's excellent at observational humour, and a lot of his jokes rely on cultural misunderstandings for a lot of their traction. Check it out:

Unfortunately, Twitter and the professional blogosphere are out to destroy his reputation because of a few unfunny jokes that he made four or five years ago on Twitter. That's why I've generally found it a good idea to give the blue bird a big blue... well, bird. But yes - do watch his stand-up routine, it's actually fairly funny. It's clear that he's not out to get black people or Mexicans or Germans, so much as trying to relate the absurdity of the cultural response which he gets and observes from all sides.
Some more blood, Chekov. The needle won't hurt, Chekov. Take off your shirt, Chekov. Roll over, Chekov. Breathe deeply, Chekov. Blood sample, Chekov! Marrow sample, Chekov! Skin sample, Chekov! If I live long enough... I'm going to run out of samples.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:54 pm

Juha Sipilä, leader of the opposition Centre party, has won the Finnish elections but will need a Coalition. Seems EU-sceptic parties did well
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

PreviousNext

Return to Current Affairs