The General News Thread

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Re: The General News Thread (formerly "Minor Headlines")

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:33 pm

Sun Fin wrote:
Dong Zhou wrote:
Eurovision to celebrate it's 60th anniversary with Australia taking part this year. Welcome to the greatest song contest on earth!

I'd like to challenge this statement, but I can't think of a good song contest right now...

Challenging it would be heresy!

Also why hasn't Obama resigned in shame for failing to get the US into Eurovision? :wink:
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:19 pm

I'd be more supportive of Eurovision if the participants hadn't heckled and bullied two Russian teenage girls merely for being Russian. With very few exceptions, it's all teenybopper pop shite anyway - the closest any Eurovision band ever came to playing real music that I ever heard was Teräsbetoni.

Also, Australia? Not in Europe.

Oh well. They have as much right to be there as Turkey does, I guess.
Some more blood, Chekov. The needle won't hurt, Chekov. Take off your shirt, Chekov. Roll over, Chekov. Breathe deeply, Chekov. Blood sample, Chekov! Marrow sample, Chekov! Skin sample, Chekov! If I live long enough... I'm going to run out of samples.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:36 pm

WeiWenDi wrote:I'd be more supportive of Eurovision if the participants hadn't heckled and bullied two Russian teenage girls merely for being Russian. With very few exceptions, it's all teenybopper pop shite anyway - the closest any Eurovision band ever came to playing real music that I ever heard was Teräsbetoni.

Also, Australia? Not in Europe.

Oh well. They have as much right to be there as Turkey does, I guess.

Happened every time they got points in the final, I complained about that at the time (I thought it was just the audience, not the participants). It was disgusting to watch at any rate and Russia would have had every right to be outraged or to take firmer action like boycotting.

Quite a variety, though not enough (rock fans lucky to get one or two a year for example, rap almost none), of music gets played and I have enjoyed quite a few tunes down the years. Not usually the ones that win mind.

Or Israel. I believe the logic is Austrlia has a long history of watching it, of having people participate and even win through other countries and they want to do something nice for 60th anniversary. May also be looking at having a different guest country every year
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:49 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:Happened every time they got points in the final, I complained about that at the time (I thought it was just the audience, not the participants). It was disgusting to watch at any rate and Russia would have had every right to be outraged or to take firmer action like boycotting.

I do remember you said that at the time. I still agree.

Dong Zhou wrote:Quite a variety, though not enough (rock fans lucky to get one or two a year for example, rap almost none), of music gets played and I have enjoyed quite a few tunes down the years. Not usually the ones that win mind.

Indeed. I was surprised to see a power metal band like TB on stage at all!

Dong Zhou wrote:Or Israel. I believe the logic is Austrlia has a long history of watching it, of having people participate and even win through other countries and they want to do something nice for 60th anniversary. May also be looking at having a different guest country every year

That could make sense, I guess. Then I could see America getting in on the ground floor.

But if Canada sends Bieber, I'll have to declare my boycott that year. :P
Some more blood, Chekov. The needle won't hurt, Chekov. Take off your shirt, Chekov. Roll over, Chekov. Breathe deeply, Chekov. Blood sample, Chekov! Marrow sample, Chekov! Skin sample, Chekov! If I live long enough... I'm going to run out of samples.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Unread postby Sun Fin » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:11 pm

WeiWenDi wrote: With very few exceptions, it's all teenybopper pop shite anyway - the closest any Eurovision band ever came to playing real music that I ever heard was Teräsbetoni.

I actually really enjoyed Latvia that year as well!
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:19 pm

Seems that Greece and other Finance Ministers unable to agree even on the process of discussing their debt crises and their demands. Current rumour is that it was agreed but when the Greek Finance Minister phoned home, Athens vetoed.

Can't agree even on the easy bits, not sure how anything major is going to be agreed.

WeiWenDi wrote:
I do remember you said that at the time. I still agree.

Sorry, didn't mean to be defensive.

Indeed. I was surprised to see a power metal band like TB on stage at all!

I'm not a fan of that type of music but I did love the show they put on.

One of the big flaws of Eurovision is that it only does certain types of music, only 3 or so finalists a year, will do something different. For my sister and I, it is the type of music we enjoy anyway so suits us but yeah, can see why it wouldn't work for someone like you.

But if Canada sends Bieber, I'll have to declare my boycott that year. :P

In fairness, we have had worse :P

Sun Fin wrote:I actually really enjoyed Latvia that year as well!

That was nice and silly
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:33 pm

Greece rejects current bailout offer with meeting ending badly when Greeks accused of briefing against draft statement while meeting was still going on.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:06 pm

Finland will enter the first ever punk band into Eurovision.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:27 am

Finland just have to be rebels, don't they? :D

I was just reading about them, actually - a Finnish friend of mine from grad school posted about them on FB. Isn't this band made up of all men who have learning disabilities?

My liking for punk generally extends only to crossover and crust, but these guys actually sound pretty awesome.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:37 pm

Can we have invade Finland to stop them entering rock and punk in future?

WeiWenDi wrote:I was just reading about them, actually - a Finnish friend of mine from grad school posted about them on FB. Isn't this band made up of all men who have learning disabilities?

Yep, that's the one.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

PreviousNext

Return to Current Affairs