The General News Thread

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Re: The General News Thread (formerly "Minor Headlines")

Unread postby Gray Riders » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:55 am

James wrote:Woman Who Stopped for Ducks Sentenced in 2 Deaths
"A Canadian woman who caused a fatal traffic accident after stopping her car to help ducks on a busy highway was sentenced Thursday to 90 days in prison and a 10-year driving ban."

:(

A lot of mixed reactions to this case. Some think the punishment is too harsh, others too lenient. According to the Montreal Gazette, the judge believes the motorcycle was speeding, but the crash would probably have happened without that factor.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:57 am

Gray Riders wrote:A lot of mixed reactions to this case. Some think the punishment is too harsh, others too lenient. According to the Montreal Gazette, the judge believes the motorcycle was speeding, but the crash would probably have happened without that factor.

The part that struck me—given the limited information in the article—is the prison time. What is the point? She did this trying to save some ducks. She obviously didn't mean to hurt anyone. Maybe she shouldn't be driving, but what possible good is prison time going to accomplish?
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Gray Riders » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:17 am

James wrote:The part that struck me—given the limited information in the article—is the prison time. What is the point? She did this trying to save some ducks. She obviously didn't mean to hurt anyone. Maybe she shouldn't be driving, but what possible good is prison time going to accomplish?

This older article might shed some light. Apparently the charges she was accused of could have been a life sentence, and the witnesses suggest shocking negligence on her part in the accident. The Crown also asked for significantly more jail time.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:49 am

Swedish elections cancelled as Stefan Löfven manages to get his budget passed at the second attempt.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:06 pm

Fox News apology may not be enough as Paris is now suing it. Wonder if Birmingham should join in? :wink:
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby James » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:05 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:Fox News apology may not be enough as Paris is now suing it. Wonder if Birmingham should join in? :wink:

I read about that. And actually a series of apologies on FOX News. That's what surprised me. They routinely publish lies and exaggeration but almost never do they circle back and take ownership of them. Maybe what's happened in this case is that they've targeted an allied country.

I wonder if a lawsuit could really accomplish much? I'm certainly curious to see how it plays out. And a little more exposure to what their 'experts' have said, giving people an opportunity to question, can only be a good thing.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:54 pm

A couple of allied countries, possibly the image of having a row with Paris, possible risk of boycott for other Fox stuff. Maybe also the risk of a city or two suing like this as the city will be able to afford expensive lawyers

James wrote:I wonder if a lawsuit could really accomplish much?.

It makes us all amused!
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:55 am

An early edition of Magna Carta, for Sandwich, has been found in a Victorian scrapbook in Kent County Council archives
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:00 pm

Fiji to change it's flag, seems the right thing to do as it's symbols are pretty colonial.

Eurovision to celebrate it's 60th anniversary with Australia taking part this year. Welcome to the greatest song contest on earth!
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:10 am

Dong Zhou wrote:
Eurovision to celebrate it's 60th anniversary with Australia taking part this year. Welcome to the greatest song contest on earth!

I'd like to challenge this statement, but I can't think of a good song contest right now...
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Current Affairs