The General News Thread

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Unread postby Naurek » Fri Jan 02, 2004 4:51 pm

In my state we had the Northridge quake, which took up the news (probably around the country) for weeks, and only 60 something people died. In Bam, tens of thousands of people died and it was a minor story...
Naurek
Master

Unread postby Kong Wen » Fri Jan 02, 2004 7:42 pm

Kül Tigin wrote:Hasn't anyone heard about the horrible earthquake disaster happened in Bam, Kerman, Iran some days ago? 27,000 deads have been buried, and 50,000 dead in total are estimated (the number might become 80,000).

Reports are that the total death toll won't reach 40000. Which is still an incredible amount! An entire city razed to the ground by nature. It's good to see the rest of the world extending aid to our fellow men.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Ninjastarfish » Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:09 pm

Kül Tigin wrote:Hasn't anyone heard about the horrible earthquake disaster happened in Bam, Kerman, Iran some days ago? 27,000 deads have been buried, and 50,000 dead in total are estimated (the number might become 80,000).

I heard about it yes. The tragedy of earthquakes in 3rd world countries is magnified by the shoddy building materials which are used. When California has a serious earthquake fewer than a hundred people usually die, wheras when it happens in a country like India, China, or Iran, the death toll is always tens of thousands. It's not that these countries have more powerful earthquakes, but that none of the buildings are built to withstand an earthquake of any magnitude. If the entirety of Iran were impovrished I would understand, but as is the case with all OPEC nations, the .05% who rule the oil wells control 90% of the wealth. And people bitch about inequitable distribution of wealth in the US, hah! If they only knew...
Ninjastarfish
Student

Unread postby Rhiannon » Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:31 am

Building types are indeed the major problem, but you also can't discount soil type. Most soils in those areas of the world are rather loose and amplify the intensity of an earthquake past its magnitude. NOW add the poor building structures on top of that, and you've got disaster.
"For us to have self-esteem is truly an act of revolution and our revolution is long overdue."
— Margaret Cho
Rhiannon
Joy & Oblivion
Joy & Oblivion

Unread postby Ranbir » Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:57 pm

Ninjastarfish wrote:

I heard about it yes. The tragedy of earthquakes in 3rd world countries is magnified by the shoddy building materials which are used. When California has a serious earthquake fewer than a hundred people usually die, wheras when it happens in a country like India, China, or Iran, the death toll is always tens of thousands. It's not that these countries have more powerful earthquakes, but that none of the buildings are built to withstand an earthquake of any magnitude. If the entirety of Iran were impovrished I would understand, but as is the case with all OPEC nations, the .05% who rule the oil wells control 90% of the wealth. And people bitch about inequitable distribution of wealth in the US, hah! If they only knew...

Thats corruption for you, it's amazingly obvious in India (we receive daily news from India) This is a country which has an amazing potential to be a world power, but the old generation, (from the British Raj), are causing problems. One reason is that the method of Government is still in the same style as it was when Britian was in control. I can't even begin to mention the corruption on it. Money to go to infrastructure is seemingly lost, most of India's roads and rails are ones which were built during the British Raj!

Sorry that went slightly off topic, but here is some more "small news"

Islamist group claims it attacked Flash Airways

Cairo, January 5
A man claiming to represent an Islamist group in Yemen said today the Egyptian charter plane that crashed at the weekend was brought down in an "attack" by his group, in an anonymous telephone call to AFP.

It was not immediately possible to verify the authenticity of the claim by the caller who spoke Arabic with an Egyptian accent.

The man, who said he was an Egyptian calling from Cairo, said he represented a group called Ansar el-Haq (Apostles of Truth), which he said carried out an attack that brought down the plane.

Ansar el-Haq is based in Yemen, he said, although nothing is known of the group.

A Boeing 737 operated by a Cairo-based charter firm, Flash Airways, plunged into the Red Sea on Saturday shortly after taking off from the Egyptian resort of Sharm El-Sheikh, killing all 148 persons on aboard, mainly French holidaymakers.

Egypt has ruled out terrorism as a cause of the crash and pointed to an unspecified technical fault. While French officials declined to rule out any cause, they said it appeared to have been a classic accident on take-off.

The caller also warned that his group would stage an attack "soon" against Air France "if France does not go back on its decision to ban the Islamic headscarf" in state schools.

Meanwhile, the French Navy deployed a robot submarine to find the fuselage and flight data recorders of the aircraft.

The parts of bodies recovered from the sea so far bore no burns, suggesting there was no explosion on the plane. — AFP, AP

This was taken from TribuneIndia.com
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Kül Tigin » Wed Jan 07, 2004 7:50 pm

I guess you people have heard or read that 80% of the historical city of Bam has been destroyed, incluiding it's famous citadel (from which the Islamic Castle in AoK and one of the scenes in Prince of Persia:3D was designed) :cry:
Admin of SHF
Kül Tigin
Khaghan of the Türüks

Unread postby Ranbir » Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:10 pm

I have a query.

Here in the UK, there is the Hutton Inquiry, which is investigating if the Dossier which was used to give the go ahead for war was "spiced up".

I was wondering if there is anything similar in America...
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Ninjastarfish » Thu Jan 08, 2004 1:40 am

HiddenRanbir wrote:I have a query.

Here in the UK, there is the Hutton Inquiry, which is investigating if the Dossier which was used to give the go ahead for war was "spiced up".

I was wondering if there is anything similar in America...

No. There will likely be no official inquiry, though the press had a small but joyous field day with it.

Republican President + Republican controlled Congress + War Powers Act + Patriot Act = unchecked executive power with no external control

The founding fathers are rolling over in their graves, but this is the way it is.
Ninjastarfish
Student

Unread postby Emily » Sat Jan 17, 2004 3:47 am

A mummified lion has been in an Egyptian tomb. I thought this was interesting, and had to share. Anyway, here's the article from CNN.com.

First lion mummy found in tomb near King Tut

(AP) -- For the first time, archaeologists have discovered a preserved lion skeleton in an ancient Egyptian tomb, demonstrating the exalted reputation enjoyed by the king of beasts more than 3,000 years ago.

A research team led by French archaeologist Alain Zivie found the lion's remains in 2001 as they excavated the tomb of Maia, wet nurse to Tutankhamun, the "boy king" popular with museum visitors today for his opulent gold funeral relics. He ruled for 10 years and died around 1323 B.C.

"It confirms the status of the lion as a sacred animal," Zivie reported in Thursday's issue of the journal Nature.

Inscriptions in ancient Egypt mention the breeding and burial of lions, but no lion remains previously had been found, said Zivie, who is with the French Archaeological Mission of the Bubasteion.

The tombs associated with King Tut are situated in a burial ground south of Cairo, across the Nile River from Memphis, ancient Egypt's first capital. Zivie found Maia's elaborate tomb in 1996.

The complete and undisturbed lion skeleton was found in an area of the tomb dedicated to the cat goddess Bastet. The section also contained vast quantities of bones of humans and animals, including many cats.

The lion's bones were not wrapped in linen bandages familiar to human mummies. But the bones' position, along with their coloration and mineral deposits on their surface, are similar to those of other mummified cats discovered elsewhere at the burial ground.

Zivie said the worn condition of the bones and teeth suggest it lived to an old age and was kept in captivity. The lion is not believed to have belonged to Maia.

The lion may have been considered an incarnation of the god Mahes, the son of Bastet, Zivie said.

Hunters nearly exterminated regional lion populations by 1100 B.C. Commemorative artwork has been found telling of how the pharaoh Amenhotep III killed more than 100 lions during a single hunt. Ramses the Great had a pet lion named Slayer of his Foes.

An Egyptologist who did not work on the specimen said the discovery is an important addition to knowledge of ancient ritual.

Archaeologists previously have found vast cemeteries for baboons, ibis, fish, smaller cats, dogs and crocodiles. Mummifying a large animal like a lion would have been an expensive and elaborate task.

"This is not any old lion. It's an important lion," said Emily Teeter, an Egyptologist at the University of Chicago.

Other researchers said Zivie's report leaves several questions unanswered.

Robert Pickering, a forensic anthropologist with the Buffalo Bill Historical Center in Cody, Wyoming, said the bones' discoloration is irrelevant because they would have been affected by the tomb's environment over thousands of years. The lack of linen wrapping and soft tissue preservation also does not support mummification, he said.

"It seems to be treated different from other animals that were entombed as part of ritual," Pickering said. "Maybe this lion's importance is as a family pet rather than as a representative of a god. The context doesn't seem to fit."

Neat, huh? :P
"The person who knows how to laugh at himself will never cease to be amused." --Shirley Maclaine
Emily
Texas Tornado

Unread postby Ranbir » Wed Jan 21, 2004 8:34 pm

I just HAD to post this....I feel ashamed that she had to be british...it's a double whammy. :oops:

Taken from the BBC news website.

A 21-year-old British student who was arrested at an American airport after joking she had a bomb in her bags has said she is "very sorry".
Samantha Marson was released on Wednesday after a visit by British consular officials and payment of a bond of $5,000 (£2,700).

She told the BBC she had made a "foolish mistake".

Miss Marson triggered a security alert as she boarded a British Airways flight from Miami to Britain on Saturday.

She was told to return to court on 6 February for an an arraignment hearing, when there will be a formal reading of the charge that she made a false bomb report, an offence that carries a 15 year jail sentence.

BBC correspondent Jeremy Cooke, in Miami, said Miss Marson was "clearly delighted" to have been released.

He understood she was free to return to the UK because she had not been required to surrender her passport, although a spokesman for the public defender's office said their advice to Miss Marson was to stay in the US until the issue was resolved.

Asked what was she thinking when she made the bomb claim, the student replied: "I wasn't thinking, that was my problem."

'In a daze'

She said she hoped to be allowed to return to the UK and be allowed back into the US in the future.

Her father said she was childish and not very worldly.

Jim Marson, 75, originally from Bridgnorth in Shropshire, told BBC Radio 4's PM programme that when he spoke to her she seemed to be in a daze, asking: "Daddy, what did I do, why am I here?"

He agreed that her comments were stupid, but said a slap on the wrist or a night in prison and $100 fine would have been enough.

"Although Samantha will be sorry for what she said, I just hope it won't leave any scars," he said.

Mr Marson, who lives in Poland, said a businessman in the Midlands had put up the money for his daughter's bail.

Later it emerged that Virgin chairman Sir Richard Branson had also offered to help Miss Marson - whether financially or with airline tickets - after hearing of her jailing.

Mr Marson said the tycoon telephoned and said he wanted to assist "not as Richard Branson, the owner of an airline, but as Richard Branson as a father".

According to the arrest report, Miss Marson placed her bag on the belt at a security check, telling a Transportation Security Administration screener: "Hey be careful, I have three bombs in here" - before allegedly repeating the joke twice more when confronted by officials.

State law

Sergeant Joe Wyche from Miami Airport Police told BBC Midlands Today that officers had been left with no choice but to arrest Miss Marson.

"First of all, it's a violation of our state law.

"Before 9/11 we took it seriously - after 9/11 there's no room for kidding or joking, if that's the person's intention, so it's taken in a serious manner."

Sgt Wyche added: "There's no room for playing games at security checkpoints.

"I'm sure probably over in Britain if similar comments are made it's not laughed upon."

She had been in the US for three months with her American boyfriend and was returning to the UK to renew her visa when she was detained.

Oh wait, here's the real killer.

BBC hires former Al-Jazeera editor-in-chief!

Unfortunately I can't seem to get a good source from the internet, but the basic jist is, the former editor-in-chief of Al-Jazeera has been hired by BBC. This was the man who gave the go ahead to broadcast dead British soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan (I'm assuming American too, but only British soldiers shown in UK). He aired tapes from Osama and co which urged muslims to join them in battle against the west. Also he has been know to be a sexist...

I'll get an official report, as soon as I find one.
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

PreviousNext

Return to Current Affairs