The General News Thread

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Unread postby English_Druid » Wed Oct 29, 2003 8:12 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3217975.stm

2,000 homes have already been destroyed, along with thousands of acres of forest. Its a shame and its gonna create even more problems for the state of California....Our hearts go out to all those victims.
But no one dies in the right place
Or in the right hour
And everyone dies sooner than his time
And before he reaches home.
English_Druid
Scholar of Ying Guo

Unread postby Gan Ning 27 » Wed Oct 29, 2003 8:13 pm

Ma Liang wrote:I have seen that satelite photo, that is amazing. GN27, you live in Simi Valley, right? Have you been evacuated, or is it voluntary evac? I'm over in Santa Clarita, and the flames are looming over the hill. They have already reached Stevenson's Ranch, and almost where my mom works. But, thankfully, there is a fire station next door, so it should be ok. I just looked out the window to see my *future* car covered in ashes, and it's pretty bad. I'm not even allowed to go outside without a resperator/dust mask because of athsmatic conditions. That's how bad this thing is, I hope you guys do ok in Simi though.

(silently cursing Tom for revealing where I live on the Sim)

Yeah, I live in SV. Haven't seen many flames out here since Saturday, the fire moved on. The entire town is covered in smoke though. Ash everywhere. Evacuations have been voluntary, and my neighborhood was barely affected(though, sad to say, the Simi golf course was burned).
Guess who's back? Back again?
Mongo's back. Back again.
Gan Ning 27
Student

Unread postby Lord Lu Bu » Wed Oct 29, 2003 8:45 pm

I hope the fire crew can stop this in time. There's a few lodeges that are in the path of it and these are the ones that are worth A LOT of money. BTw is it me or is there always a drought when there's wildfires spreading?
An artist is critical of their own work. An asshole is a failed artist who's critical of everyone elses work.
Lord Lu Bu
Langzhong

Location: A place where the government doesn't want you to know about!

Unread postby Rhiannon » Thu Oct 30, 2003 3:39 am

Oh, I can load ya up with some links. Though heck, go on www.latimes.com, all the front headlines practically are on it (Los Angeles Times website). I recommend that for the best info you'll get.

Map of the Current Fires, PDF Format

Photo Essay on Fox News of the Fires

NASA's recent images on the CA Fires
"For us to have self-esteem is truly an act of revolution and our revolution is long overdue."
— Margaret Cho
Rhiannon
Joy & Oblivion
Joy & Oblivion

Unread postby Naurek » Fri Oct 31, 2003 6:57 pm

So far the fires combined have burned over 700,000 acres. I wanted to find out how many miles so I calculated it and it is over 1,000 miles! That is horrible. Of course, everyone living in the mountains were waiting for it to happen, with all the dead trees from infestations and the fact that the forests are thinned out to prevent massive fires like this. Though in the end the forest will grow again and be healthier than before, this is a good example where protecting the environment can actually cause more harm than good. If those forests were thinned out some there wouldn't have been as much damage.
Naurek
Master

Unread postby Rhiannon » Mon Nov 03, 2003 5:00 pm

Unfortunately, I heard on the news that these areas were not the mismanaged areas that you heard people whining about the lack of culling, controlled burns, and this beetle. The fires didn't come close to the areas where this beetle lives, and didn't really touch the forests that were under heavy mismanagement.

Nonetheless, the fear of what such a fire COULD do is terrible. And as such, I have to make a small comment, as an environmentalist myself: there are two kinds of environmentalists; those who know about the environment and those who just love the environment. Try not to ever get the two confused. The media gives all its attention to environment-lovers, who have this adoring, loving relationship with nature without understanding or even accepting how it works in reality (it's all a utopia to them). Meanwhile, real environmentalists -- those who still love the environment, but understand how it operates and accept the laws of nature, who realize that it isn't a utopia but rather a constant flux of life and death used to maintain a balance -- get virtually ignored. And it makes our work all the harder, because we not only have to fight the public (who think we are all members of PETA or Greenpeace), but we have to fight against the "environmentalists" who think we don't really love the environment either, and actively oppose us.

I suppose I shouldn't have used this thread to rant on that, but it was a nice springboard and I needed to get it off my chest.
"For us to have self-esteem is truly an act of revolution and our revolution is long overdue."
— Margaret Cho
Rhiannon
Joy & Oblivion
Joy & Oblivion

Unread postby Naurek » Mon Nov 03, 2003 5:12 pm

I have heard it hit the areas where the beetle was infesting, but I have heard many things. I think most of the television news shows are stupid because they report the information as it breaks, which leads to inaccurate information. I did see on the television part of the fire that was burning in the forests, and I noticed that about every other tree was essentially dead and fuel for the fire.

I don't like the environmentalists who think of nothing but nature/animals over humanity. I know it sound humanly egotistical, but I feel that way. When a PETA guy is asked if a Chicken or a human are downing, which he would choose, and he says he would have to think about it, he is an idiot.
Naurek
Master

Unread postby Kong Wen » Sun Nov 09, 2003 5:35 am

Did anybody check out the total lunar eclipse tonight (Nov. 8th)? I checked on the moon periodically throughout the night, and it was a pretty nice sight. We had perfectly clear weather for it where I life, and most of the lights in the neighbourhood were out, so we had a good view.

I know lunar eclipses are a dime a dozen, but it's still a pretty interesting natural phenomenon.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Jon » Sun Nov 09, 2003 5:41 am

No, I couldn't. The weather was too cloudy and I didn't go outside tonight anyway.

Nice avi.
Jon
Ladies' Man

Unread postby Emily » Sun Nov 09, 2003 5:45 am

Kong Zhengshu wrote:Did anybody check out the total lunar eclipse tonight (Nov. 8th)?

I tried, but it was raining and I couldn't really see anything. It was actually kind of disappointed, because I was looking forward to seeing it.
"The person who knows how to laugh at himself will never cease to be amused." --Shirley Maclaine
Emily
Texas Tornado

PreviousNext

Return to Current Affairs