Swearing

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Re: Swearing

Unread postby Antiochus » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:27 pm

I swear a lot in the typical Quebecois manner. Everyone outside Quebec tends to find it hilarious...
If they can abolish fanaticism, let us pray for the advent of the sceptics.

Raymond Aron
The Opium of the Intellectuals
Antiochus
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:50 pm

I'm more disciplined when it comes to swearing than most folks I've met. I guess it is all the time I've spent in management, corporate environments, and with clients (I could say that living around Mormons has influenced me, but I would be lying). I can work with people for half a year and then, during a break, I will use some kind of vulgar term, and people will look at me wide-eyed as if something unearthly has just happened. "I didn't think you swore!" is something I've heard many times. I usually just laugh (mostly because it wasn't even a deliberate effort).

When I'm around old friends I swear a bit more often. I'm relaxed around them so I tend to express myself with a little less energy devoted to what I say. I remember last year, while walking through Costco with my brother, I swore once a bit louder than I intended. An elderly Mormon fellow immediately began to admonish me, to which I quickly responded, "I'm sorry, sir. I should have taken others around me into consideration. I apologize." He looked like he had just witnessed the end of the world and soon stammered out a, "Thank you..."

When I am playing games with friends, all bets are off. Every word is fair game.

Antiochus wrote:I swear a lot in the typical Quebecois manner. Everyone outside Quebec tends to find it hilarious...

Any way you can give us a sample? :lol:
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Antiochus » Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:35 am

Quebecois swearing has a religious source, which is why its called "sacre". It basically consist of deformed terms such as Criss (from Christ), câlice (chalice), ostie (host) or tabarnak (tabernacle) (among others).

The swearing is amusing to others because of two facts.

1) The "sacre" can take a "composed" form. In cases of mild irritation, the Quebecois will yell out something along the line of "Crisse!" or "Tabarnak!". But in the cases of great anger, it can become much longuer, such as "Ostie de tabarnak de câlice de criss de mauzusse de siboire!!!"

For humor's sake, I would state that the amount of "sacre" employed shows the level of irritation :lol: .

2) Sacre are used as verbs. Criss (from the word christ) becomes the verb crisser (in french obviously), which can take several meaning, though usually linked to violence. Its the same with câlice (chalice), that has its own list of different meanings.

These terms can also be used as names. To call someone "mon tabarnak" (my tabernacle) is also an insult. It also serves as introduction to more common insults, such as calling someone "Ostie d'imbecile".

You can get other explanation from Bon Cop Bad Cop, but its easier to understand if you speak french:
Edit: This one is better than the original one I found because it has subtitles
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U72QVCgh_Q&feature=related
If they can abolish fanaticism, let us pray for the advent of the sceptics.

Raymond Aron
The Opium of the Intellectuals
Antiochus
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:28 am

Haha... thanks! Learn something new every day! :lol:
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Vanman » Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:39 am

Ah yes, there is no language like Quebecois French to swear in. I am not at all what you would call fluent in it, but I know enough of it to turn the air a light shade of blue. Also I can swear a bit in German, Spanish Russian and know a word or two in Cree. It does help when you can't swear in English or English just isn't enough to get whatever is bothering you out of your system.

Yes I do swear alot, but I do work in a manufaturing enviroment where the public has limited access so it is no problem. I have to start watching my words at home though. My boy is just starting to learn words on his own and it would not be good if he picked up that habit of mine.
"Sweat saves blood, blood saves lives, and brains save both." -Erwin Rommel
Vanman
Assistant

Previous

Return to Current Affairs