Swearing

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Unread postby rcsha » Sat Apr 12, 2003 12:20 am

CaTigeReptile wrote:That I don't believe should be hated, but using a swear word about or to someone is simply an insult, and even if you use a word like "Fudge", as some people do, it simply makes "Fudge" a bad word, as the same thing is meant: You might as well swear, because I don't believe that it's the word itself that is bad, rather what the person means by it.

Exactly! There is no difference between saying, "Back the F*** off!" and "Back the Fryin' Pan Off!"

They're both words that don't belong in that sentance and henceforth both make the speech quite useless, heh.
rcsha
Ao Kaio Nankou

Unread postby Fen Dian » Mon Apr 21, 2003 1:23 pm

I'm not offended by any swearing that is put in the forum. You get used to it when you live in my house.
'You sir are drunk...'
'and you madame are ugly...
but tommorow I shall be sober
ain't that a beauty'
Polite exchange between Sir Winston Churchill and a woman at a party.
Fen Dian
Academic

Location: In a nice white padded room wearing the styleish Jacket with long sleeves

Unread postby Humble Fisherman » Thu Apr 24, 2003 2:54 pm

Swearing is so ******* stupid, only an ******* would want to do it. I ******* hate that ****.

Seriously, I don't have a problem with swearing. I'll wholeheartedly admit I do it sometimes, especially when something in a video game isn't going my way. Sometimes I will do it in conversation to show a certain gutteral emphasis, but I often find that other adjectives work just as well.
"He who thinks he has no faults has one"
Humble Fisherman
Langzhong

Unread postby Fen Dian » Mon Jun 02, 2003 7:30 pm

Swearing when not aimed directly at me doesn't offend me in the slightest. If anything it ammuses me.
'You sir are drunk...'
ain't that a beauty'
Fen Dian
Academic

Location: In a nice white padded room wearing the styleish Jacket with long sleeves

Unread postby timon » Mon Jun 02, 2003 7:34 pm

i guess it's just a matter of manners ... whatever happened to good old GMRC?
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat drinking beer all day.
timon
Changshi

Unread postby Fen Dian » Wed Jun 04, 2003 5:29 pm

perze wrote:i guess it's just a matter of manners ... whatever happened to good old GMRC?

What's GMRC?
'You sir are drunk...'
ain't that a beauty'
Fen Dian
Academic

Unread postby Bismark » Wed Jun 04, 2003 6:26 pm

rcsha wrote:
CaTigeReptile wrote:That I don't believe should be hated, but using a swear word about or to someone is simply an insult, and even if you use a word like "Fudge", as some people do, it simply makes "Fudge" a bad word, as the same thing is meant: You might as well swear, because I don't believe that it's the word itself that is bad, rather what the person means by it.

Exactly! There is no difference between saying, "Back the F*** off!" and "Back the Fryin' Pan Off!"

They're both words that don't belong in that sentance and henceforth both make the speech quite useless, heh.

Yeah, but it just feels different, you gotta admit.
And do you mean the PMRC? The organization so lame that John Denver kicked it's ass?
Can you blow me where the pampers is?
Bismark
Academic

Unread postby Humble Fisherman » Wed Jun 04, 2003 9:06 pm

Bismark wrote:Yeah, but it just feels different, you gotta admit.

I agree.

For instance, when you're watching a movie on TNN or Fox or another channel that edits content, and Harvey Keitel calls someone a 'Fuzzy Sock Sucker' it just doesn't have the same impact.

It may well convey the same basic meeting (i.e. Mr. Keitel does not care much for the character he is referring too) it doesn't have the same power that it could.
"He who thinks he has no faults has one"
Humble Fisherman
Langzhong

Unread postby Bismark » Wed Jun 04, 2003 9:13 pm

Nothing was worse that Mallrats on ABC. Suddenly, Jay's line: "All it took was a fat chronic blunt," turned into "All it took was a fast karate punch." Okay, so it's not a swear, but you get my point.
Can you blow me where the pampers is?
Bismark
Academic

Unread postby anon » Fri Jun 13, 2003 12:31 pm

a swear word is exactly what it says on the packet, only a WORD
I don't see how people can take offence to a word like f*** and not something like cheese. They're both words after all.

I never take offence when someone swears at me, rather I laugh at their stupidity, to have to resort to those types of words. :lol:
Words like fornication means the same as f***, but isn't considered as taboo, I mean what gives :?:
anon
Apprentice

PreviousNext

Return to Current Affairs