Swearing

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Unread postby Rhiannon » Sat Apr 05, 2003 4:52 pm

I think swearing can lead to a more base vocabulary, and that it can lead to abusive behavior, but I think the majority of people who swear are not in any close danger of these things because they use it in appropriate situations.

As Captian_Emily mentioned, emotional expressions really fit this catagory. Let's face it, it makes no difference whether you grit your teeth and say Fudge, or grit your teeth and say f•••. Either way, you're gritting your teeth and using your vocal cords to express your frustrations. The word doesn't matter; your emotions and feelings behind it do. In such cases, it wouldn't be the word that is unhealthy -- it would be the emotion behind it.

In most other situations, there is no real need for swearing, though I see no harm in an occassional swear word added in for emphasis. I also disagree with the need to censor swear words using *, it may make a discussion look cleaner, but there isn't a person who doesn't know what the word is unless they don't know English.

Insulting someone by swearing, ironically, is still one of the most painful things you can do. As open as our society is to swearing, most people are absolutely offended if you insult them with swear words. Society's creed for swearing is that it's okay to use it, just not to use it against someone else.
"For us to have self-esteem is truly an act of revolution and our revolution is long overdue."
— Margaret Cho
Rhiannon
Joy & Oblivion
Joy & Oblivion

Unread postby King Mulu » Sat Apr 05, 2003 9:55 pm

I just dont like swearing,it seems like someone is just trying to deliver a message with a lack of vocabulary,perhaps besides the conventional swear words,you could look in the handy dictionary and find other words with which to offend someone without them even knowing it,now that is fun.Or make someone thinking that you are offending them when you are not is fun also,it yells aloud "Hey!Look at this guy,he is a real moron!"
-------------------------------------------------------
If trees could scream,would we still cut them down?Probably,if they screamed all the time.
King Mulu
Tyro

Unread postby moshiman » Tue Apr 08, 2003 2:55 am

i think swearing's fun.

but i don't really get why swear-words were invernted or created or whatever.

i mean, what kind of idiot would make words that we're not allowed to say? somethings may never be answered.......

:P heh heh
'You live all your life, but you only die once.'
moshiman
Initiate

Unread postby Evil Azn Chris » Tue Apr 08, 2003 3:04 am

moshiman wrote:i think swearing's fun.

i mean, what kind of idiot would make words that we're not allowed to say? somethings may never be answered.......

well swearing may be "fun", but it may offend some people, and in turn, that may cause you to be hit or get bashed... Like i wouldn't find swearing fun, if consequences of doing it may be broken bones, or bruises and stuff...
When you've done things right, people wont be sure you've done things at all...
Evil Azn Chris
Sage

Unread postby rcsha » Tue Apr 08, 2003 8:54 pm

moshiman wrote:i think swearing's fun.

Actually swear words were not 'invented' as swear words. For instance the word Damn (one of the, now, less risque words) is actually a biblical term, it means to be sent to hell after you die, by god. It evolved into it's current uses when people started crying "Damn Whatever/whoever/whenever/wherever, etc." when something made them angry. It was actual kind of a prayer as they wanted God to banish that object/person to hell upon death, and eventually before death.

Most words that are considered swear words, are actually only in that status because of the overwhelming amount of stupid people in the world. I personally think it's kind of retarded that s*** can't be said, but crap can. They are exact synonyms, literally, s*** has no other meaning than 'a piece of human/animal waste' or 'to dispose of said waste naturally' (poopin', lol).

Here's something for you to think about (as noted by George Carlin), C*** Sucker. It's meaning nowadays is entirely reversed...it now means bad man, but we all know that it's real meaning is...good woman, lol.
rcsha
Ao Kaio Nankou

Unread postby Asellas » Thu Apr 10, 2003 3:22 pm

Can i ask a question well 2 actually. 1st one is who decided that that f***, Bas**** and S*** and others were (are) Taboo. Could these words have been changed over the years as these words may have had a different meaning. Like Gay for example in the 40's to the 70's it did not mean two people of the same gender 'being together' is how i could put it.It actually meant you were very happy and if you said i am gay then people would just think you are happy. But now it means two of the same gender being together. It is also used to insults other students in schools.

In England, crap is up there with the swear words but how can that insult?

So I think S*** and F*** may have had a different meaning centuries or thousands of years ago.
"Winter is coming".
"I like hurting people...it's what I do best because I am heartless".
"Love is for poets, romance is for playwrights, and sex is for procreation - I desire none of them"
Asellas
Lord of Winterfell

Unread postby Liang Erdao » Thu Apr 10, 2003 8:00 pm

An intersting tidbit. In the NBA, players get a technical foul if they swear, but in hockey, (the NHL) the sport is the king of swearing. Even the referees swear! ("Stop fighting and whining you f***ing H*s! when trying to break up a fight, and then when the player pleads innocent but gets called anyways, he'll say "You're a f**king homer because you grew up in f**king Toronto you f**king homo!" "Well, that's too f**king bad, f*8ker. You're going to the f**king penalty box for the f**king penalty." "There was no f**king way that that f**king play was a f**king penalty." 'Yes, sorry, selfish little f**king suck, it is a f**king penalty. You f**king tripped him." "He got his f**king legs caught up under my f**king stick." (player he tripped breaks in) "That's because you f**king put it there, f**king homo! And by the way, your mother is a f**king H*!" "Well, sois yours. (spits at the other player...) they fight.....)

Get the picture? :wink:

BTW: That was a true exchange on the "ref-cam". NHL Cool Shots bleeped out the words, but we knew what they said.... :P :P it was a Flyers-Leafs game in Toronto, and I won't name names..... :wink:
Our enemies are a bunch of sassy little brats, are'nt they....? Aren't they?! Hey! NO........ I should never have played as Liu Yong against Sun Ce! How can I be such a dumbass...?!
Liang Erdao
Academic

Location: Home of the infamous Xiahou Mao, greatest general ever......

Unread postby Liang Erdao » Fri Apr 11, 2003 7:57 pm

I think F**k was an old medieval English peasant term for "doing it on an unwilling woman." It was pronounced Fook in the old days, i read it in an Oxford Dictionary, Canadian edition. It's similar to the French term "Fourre" or something, means the same. The Middle finger is the English peasant symbol, and the arm on the bicep with the arm moving up is the french peasant symbol of the same thing....
Our enemies are a bunch of sassy little brats, are'nt they....? Aren't they?! Hey! NO........ I should never have played as Liu Yong against Sun Ce! How can I be such a dumbass...?!
Liang Erdao
Academic

Location: Home of the infamous Xiahou Mao, greatest general ever......

Unread postby rcsha » Fri Apr 11, 2003 7:59 pm

Hayate wrote:Can i ask a question well 2 actually. 1st one is who decided that that f***, Bas**** and S*** and others were (are) Taboo. Could these words have been changed over the years as these words may have had a different meaning. Like Gay for example in the 40's to the 70's it did not mean two people of the same gender 'being together' is how i could put it.It actually meant you were very happy and if you said i am gay then people would just think you are happy. But now it means two of the same gender being together. It is also used to insults other students in schools.

In England, crap is up there with the swear words but how can that insult?

So I think S*** and F*** may have had a different meaning centuries or thousands of years ago.

A note on the word Gay:
Gay by definition means "Merry; frolicsome; showy; dressed out; dissipated"
The word became a slang term for Homosexuals, after the stereotype that all homosexuals were, for lack of a better term, 'fruity'. So Gay was used to describe their overtly 'happy-go-lucky' nature.

As for your first question:
The old Church had a lot to do with some words, especially F***. Sex was seen as something that should only be done between married people, and at one time it was considered a sin to have sexual intercourse at all. So F*** which is a slang term for sex (and usually represents sinful or 'hardcore') sexual intercourse is so taboo. And the word B***ard means a child that was concieved in an impure nature, so the church (church meaning Papal personnel and church goers alike) felt that such a sinful-based word should not be spoken of in public debates. Henceforth, taboo.
As for words like S***, it has to do with human exrement, right? During the Black Plague and other such disease ridden times, human exrement was nearly synonymous with disease and death, so it became taboo to talk about it alot. Taboo, heh.
rcsha
Ao Kaio Nankou

Unread postby CaTigeReptile » Fri Apr 11, 2003 10:39 pm

To add onto the reason why swear words are considered so bad is simply because of the reason why people say them: An exclamation of passionate anger or frustration, although natural, is considered boorish.

That I don't believe should be hated, but using a swear word about or to someone is simply an insult, and even if you use a word like "Fudge", as some people do, it simply makes "Fudge" a bad word, as the same thing is meant: You might as well swear, because I don't believe that it's the word itself that is bad, rather what the person means by it.
CaTigeReptile
Langzhong

PreviousNext

Return to Current Affairs