Swearing

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Unread postby Asellas » Wed Mar 05, 2003 9:42 pm

I can't ever say i have been offended by swearing,however i would like to know who decided that sticking your middle-finger or two fingers up on the outside of your hand means well you know.I have swore but it is due to banging my foot,well toe on the corner of the chair. :lol: :(
"Winter is coming".
"I like hurting people...it's what I do best because I am heartless".
"Love is for poets, romance is for playwrights, and sex is for procreation - I desire none of them"
Asellas
Lord of Winterfell

Unread postby rcsha » Wed Mar 05, 2003 9:57 pm

Hayate wrote:I can't ever say i have been offended by swearing,however i would like to know who decided that sticking your middle-finger or two fingers up on the outside of your hand means well you know.I have swore but it is due to banging my foot,well toe on the corner of the chair. :lol: :(

It's a play on the similar 'Italian' act. Nonetheless, for the record don't ever flip someone off on the highway or such...it's a $350 fine, first offense. And the gov't wanders why we have Road Rage....:roll:
rcsha
Ao Kaio Nankou

Unread postby Sun jian » Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:49 pm

swearing is to be expected in a society where people are so stubborn they don't understand a normal sentence w\o those words. :shock: i remember when kids would get their mouth washed out with soup for swearing but now it's so commonplace a kid learns the f-word in elementary school and what they learn is what they say. unless swearing is completely removed from everyday speech, which will never happen, those words will be used constantly. i'm only offended if i'm in my home cause that's the only place i control. in public i just ignore it; that's all i can do. 8-)
Sun jian
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gaara of the Desert » Fri Mar 07, 2003 11:08 am

Swearing gives extra strengh, when i swear -> "That was ****ing awful" <- Then the language, and strengh of the sentance is multiplied. However if its overused then all meaning is lost. Although i swear a reasonable amount, its only to strengthen what i say.
Signature: This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
Gaara of the Desert
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby The Heroic Lao Zhe » Mon Mar 10, 2003 3:11 am

Ferarra is right...

At least for me, swearing is to add impact to what I say.

If someone comes up to my and randomly toe punts me in the shin, no one will take me seriously if I say "What was that for you big doody-head?"

Of course, I can get my anger, suprise and frustration across if I say..."What the f--- was that for?"

If you swear in every sentence like some kids do, you deserve to get your mouth washed out with soap. *My friend's mother still does that to my friend sometimes, its hilarious to watch. :lol:

But it is true that swearing is, for the most part, used to show anger, frustration and suprise, non-swear words are just not as effective.
"What do you call an XBOX fanboy without the ability to say the word graphics?"

--A Mute

http://www.nuklearpower.com/memory.php

Follow the adventures of the mighty Lao Zhe!
The Heroic Lao Zhe
Student

Unread postby Russ » Mon Mar 10, 2003 3:57 am

I have no problem with profanity. Obviously some do, we should probably cut down the swearing for them. Swearing isn't needed. The *** blocks on swearing is fine. Azrael's Signature could say I'm a "fencing" demon, so no need to complain about it.
Russ
Legendary

Unread postby Mega Zarak » Mon Mar 10, 2003 8:41 am

I have no problem with many profanities especially when they are not directed at me personally. Uttering profanities were common during any normal conversations during my 2.5 years stay in the Army (esp. when it was in a male-dominated environment). When I entered the University, I was pressurized (mainly by the people, esp. the ladies around me who gave me the impression that they expected us to be gentlemen or whatever) to tone down on profanities. Perhaps it is reasonable for a lady to say that you're not showing her the proper respect when you're uttering stuffs that have sexual connotations. However, I find it difficult to understand how anyone can be deeply hurt by those meaningless words, especially in the situations where those profanities were clearly not directed at them. That does not mean that I condone the act of uttering profanities all the time since it is obviously pointless and you won't be able to convey your thoughts effectively across if your words are mixed with stuffs people don't like to hear.

All in all, I'm a person who take actions much more seriously than mere words. Perhaps I should confess that just today, I involuntarily uttered the f word when I was in the cafeteria rather loudly when I stained my pants (newly washed and ironed) accidentally with chilli after I opened a badly-packaged meal which I bought for my lunch. :D
Mega Zarak
Grand Tutor of Wei

Unread postby rcsha » Tue Mar 11, 2003 3:50 am

I personally have no problem with swearing, aside from it's a little ungentlemanly to do it in public and it shows a lack of education.

Afterall the phrase F*** You, is kind of stupid. Think about it can only be presented as: F*** You! F*** You. And, F*** You?

The first is an exclamatory remark, which makes no sense whatsoever, unless presented in an Imperative context meanig that you demand to have sex with the person. The second can be both Imperative and Declarative meaning that a. you demand to have sex with them or b. you want to have sex with them. The final one is presented as an interrogitory phrase meaning 'can I have sex with you?'

Or for another example...
Sh** is a form of human waste, it's exrement. It has no other literal meaning...so it's not vulgar, really. And anyon who takes offense in it for it's meaning, is proven uneducated as well.

That's a general diea on my outlook of it.
rcsha
Ao Kaio Nankou

Unread postby Emily » Fri Apr 04, 2003 10:50 pm

I do agree with those who said that there are times and places for which swearing is inappropriate. For instance, I was brought up to believe that a gentleman should not swear in front of a lady because it is improper and might offend her 'delicate sensibilities.' (I'm not kidding about this.) It really doesn't offend me, but I don't like it either. It's coarse-sounding and ungraceful, like comparing the words of Shakespeare to ghetto slang.

However, I have to disagree with those that said it showed a lack of education and ability to express oneself. I believe that there are some instances for which there simply is no other way to clearly express one's true emotions. For instance, I remember clearly an example in which I myself am guilty. Not a week after we had the car repaired from a run-in with a tree limb (it fell on it and broke the back glass and two side windows and dented the trunk and spoiler), we were at a club when a drunk 15 year old in her mother's jalopy plowed into the car, leaving a gaping hole in the side and bending the frame in the trunk. (She took off, but they got the license plate.)

Now when I saw this, I was understandably upset. For some reason, saying, "Oh my stars! I am feeling greatly distressed at this unfortunate occurence" (or something to that effect)- although sounding more intelligent- just seemed insufficient. Nor would "Oh, cheese!" have worked. So, no one batted an eye when I loudly yelled "mother f*****" at the top of my lungs. (They did- however- begin to worry when I started giggling hysterically soon after. I couldn't help it though; the irony was just too much.) But, there is a moral to this story: sometimes swearing is fitting. However- even when it's not- it doesn't effect a person physically, so quit b****ing and let it go.

And by the way, this totally made me chuckle:
Emperor Sun Ce wrote:Azrael's Signature could say I'm a "fencing" demon, so no need to complain about it.
"The person who knows how to laugh at himself will never cease to be amused." --Shirley Maclaine
Emily
Texas Tornado

Unread postby Evil Azn Chris » Sat Apr 05, 2003 8:17 am

Censoring swear words with "*" isnt really that useful. Everyone knows what you are trying to say, so there is no difference if you censor it or not. If the non-censored word offends you, then the word with "***" will also offend you, as you know what the person is trying to say...
When you've done things right, people wont be sure you've done things at all...
Evil Azn Chris
Sage

PreviousNext

Return to Current Affairs