Swearing

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Unread postby CK » Sun Mar 02, 2003 1:07 am

Indeed, I would agree with what Azrael had said. The problem with feeling offended is to put it in other words, the other person had failed to meet your expectations. If your expectation was that the f word is swearing, it is obvious that you had already set a standard and developed a subjective viewpoint about the f-word. The point is therefore that we have to look at the f word in a different context.

There is no doubt that by using the f-word in so many scenarios, it spoke of people's inadequancy in their command of the english language. Nevertheless, it does have a deep and direct meaning which perhaps conventional rhetoric cannot replace.
Truth is always partial

Absense of dream creates nothing but dream creates absense if you do nothing
CK
Changshi

Unread postby The Masked Moogle » Sun Mar 02, 2003 3:44 am

Oftentimes swearing expresses a connotation which simply cannot be expressed through more complex terminology...

For instance, if you want to express your apathy toward something, there are 2 different levels; either

I don't care

or

I don't give a damn.

The second one contains a swear word, but how better would you express that level of anger? What could you say without swearing to get the same meaning and feeling?

The taboo of swearing is completely arbitrary and symbolic.. The words should not be abused, but instead should be used as part of every person's vocabulary for a very strong, powerful way to say something.
The Masked Moogle
Narshe Templar

Unread postby Iznoach, Legendary Dragon » Sun Mar 02, 2003 4:38 am

I swear, and I swear a lot. But I also know that there are appropriate times and places to swear, and the converse applies. For instance, this forum isn't appropriate place for swearing, so I don't. Talking to me on AIM, however, you'd be surprised...it's almost like talking to another person entirely! :twisted:

The Masked Moogle wrote:The taboo of swearing is completely arbitrary and symbolic.. The words should not be abused, but instead should be used as part of every person's vocabulary for a very strong, powerful way to say something.

I think this says it best right here, and is practically my 'policy' on swearing. Also, the context of what's being said is usually what would offend me, not the actual wording. But basically it's almost impossible to offend me...
"Armed and dangerous, ain't too many can hang wit us
straight up weed no angel dust, label us Notorious..."--Biggie
Iznoach, Legendary Dragon
Gunslinger

Unread postby Andrew » Mon Mar 03, 2003 3:31 am

I will swear on occasion if i'm frustrated, nothing bad it just kind of lets the anger out, I will always remeber something my aunt said "People that swear can't express themselves." So very true.
Formerly known as XiahouDun-22
Andrew
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Seven at One Stroke » Mon Mar 03, 2003 4:49 am

The Masked Moogle wrote:Oftentimes swearing expresses a connotation which simply cannot be expressed through more complex terminology...

For instance, if you want to express your apathy toward something, there are 2 different levels; either

I don't care

or

I don't give a damn.

The second one contains a swear word, but how better would you express that level of anger? What could you say without swearing to get the same meaning and feeling?

Yes, most of the swear words express anger, hate, and other negative feelings better than non-swear words.
Moderation in pursuit of actual work is no vice.
Seven at One Stroke
Sei's Slave

Unread postby Jimayo » Mon Mar 03, 2003 5:28 am

The Yellow Dwarf wrote:Yes, most of the swear words express anger, hate, and other negative feelings better than non-swear words.

The opposite is true as well.

That was awesome.

That was ****ing awesome! <- Much more enthusiastic.
98% of the internet population has a Myspace. If you're part of the 2% that isn't an emo bastard, copy and paste this into your sig.
Jimayo
Lord of the Thirteen Hells

Location: Nothingness. And that's where I'll be returning in oh, about 15 minutes.

Unread postby Wen Yang » Mon Mar 03, 2003 10:24 pm

madaboutck wrote:The amazing thing about the f word is it is so multi-dimensional, can be applied in possibly all context that I really feel that its an essential part of the language.

Which is why I also do not understand why people would be offended. :roll:

The F word is the only word that I can think of, that can be used in any and every sentance imaginable. Just try to think of a sentance that it cant be used as an explecative in. :lol:
"You fools! Have you then no regard for your lives?" - Wen Yang at Lojia Bridge
Wen Yang
Academic

Unread postby The Masked Moogle » Tue Mar 04, 2003 12:48 am

The opposite is true as well.

That was awesome.

That was ****ing awesome! <- Much more enthusiastic.

This is one of those places that there IS a better way to express yourself. "That was absolutely breathtaking!", or a "My God..." do the job just fine. Or simply adding more words, such as "That was the most amazing thing I've ever seen! Stupendous, breathtaking!" works.

In the case of negative expressions, though, you can't add more words (makes you seem like you're thinking things through, and thus less angry) and there are seldom better words to chose.
The Masked Moogle
Narshe Templar

Unread postby Ender » Tue Mar 04, 2003 12:59 am

Well I don't mind the words it's the reason behind them that is bad. I don't see a difference between someone saying "Oh f***" and "Oh cheese" if they were mad. Both are a result of anger and both are the same. Another instance is.. "you dumb***" and "you dumby". Both are meant to offend someone so they are the same. It is the anger or meaning behind the word that offends not the word itself.
"Tell me not in mournful numbers,
Life is but an empty dream!
For the soul is dead that slumbers,
And things are not what they seem."
-- Longfellow
Ender
Wandering Darkness

Unread postby Mitsunari Ishida » Wed Mar 05, 2003 9:16 pm

I have nothing against swearing. I swear all the time, and no one really cares. It is becoming something most people use to express their feelings. I think that on television, they should not bleep it out for I think that nowadays it is annoying to do so.
Mitsunari Ishida
Scholar

PreviousNext

Return to Current Affairs