As a society, have we really come so far?

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

well i agree with you(rcsha)... to a point

Unread postby Xu van » Wed Feb 12, 2003 1:48 am

-We waste too much.
-We're greedy.
-We're too hostile and lack a peaceful attitude a lot of times.
-We're unfit physically.
-We're unfit mentally, now that I mention it.
-We lack unity.
-We can't do much of anything right.
-We're not too bright for the most part.

i agree with you about that... :)

but i also, think that also we really haven't changed for 2000(give or take a few) years...for example:

we still use pavement/concrete from the roman days...
we just replace the horse with the car (whoohoo big improvement)...
we still have people starving...
we still percecute people if we don't like them for some strange reason...
we still hunger for power...

this is a small list of things that really haven't changed in thousands of years...

though there are good people who somehow get out of the norm of humanity (which is ignorance, stupidity, all that good stuff) and make a good impact to the human race but as a whole humanity has gone down in morality and intelligence...

oh yea...where are those flying cars we were peomised? :D
The art of war is of vital importance
to the State.
It is a matter of life and death, a road either
to safety or to ruin. Hence it is a subject of inquiry
which can on no account be neglected.
~Sun Tzi
Xu van
Tyro

Re: No.

Unread postby Wen Choung » Wed Feb 12, 2003 5:06 am

rcsha wrote:We have the following problems (to state but a few):
-We waste too much.
-We're greedy.
-We're too hostile and lack a peaceful attitude a lot of times.
-We're unfit physically.
-We're unfit mentally, now that I mention it.
-We lack unity.
-We can't do much of anything right.
-We're not too bright for the most part.

I totally agree here, but then again, I'm going to provide some counterpoints for them. Many or all of those things are caused by the "good" things that have come about our country.

We waste too much - we have more...food, resources, everything
We're greedy - we're pretty much freakin rich
hostile and unpeaceful - I guess it's part of the arrogance of being #1
unfit physically - more food again, more time, less laborous work
unfit mentally - okay, i'll admit there's no excuse for this one. "My cat died, I need a therapist."
We lack unity - perhaps it's because humans are able to live independently; no longer do we rely on the direct services of our neighbors
Can't do anything right - depends on how and what you look at
We're not too bright for the most part - I don't think too many civilizations had a good majority of "bright" people. I believe in there being a small portion of leaders to lead the large portion. I don't mean that people should be idiots and running around like headless chickens, but the fact is that there is no need for 100% thinkers and strategists and politicians.

Those are just a few points I'd like to bring up...for the sake of providing another view and to continue the thread. I am in no way supporting our wastefulness or greediness, but more like looking into why we are.
Wen Choung
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun jian » Wed Feb 12, 2003 12:20 pm

The Yellow Dwarf wrote:I like that. It seems that as science rolls forward at lightning speed, new discoveries and new technology rushes us ahead scientifically, but socially and economically we cannot make sense of all the consequences and effects of our actions and the implementation of new technology. We often see the immediate result and judge it based on the short-term profit and ignore the larger picture in order to make a quick buck. This what they call a "cultural lag" I suppose.

i agree. mankind has been unable to see the forest for the trees and eventually the small things like friendship, fun, and happiness, along with individuality will be lost in the larger scheme of things. society relies too much on $$$$ and that disgusts me. :evil: when are we going to start thinking for ourselves, w\o $$ involved? it's just paper or metal that represents value but if mankind didn't have it they think they'll die but in reality we wouldn't because it only exists because it helps society run smoothly. when are we going to get our faces unglued from computers, our ears unglued from phones, and our eyes off of tv's? probably never, unless those things ceased to exist and that won't happen til some catastrophe happens and i predict something will happen but not in my lifetime. something big has to happen for we open our eyes and by then we won't have anymore resources and life will be too hard to bear. a hard life would kill half our species simply cause it's hard and the other half would love it w\o them cause they made their lives more difficult to begin with(i'm part of this group :wink: ).
Sun jian
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Re: No.

Unread postby Sun jian » Wed Feb 12, 2003 12:28 pm

Wen Choung wrote:...

we're a species of leaders and followers and there aren't enough chiefs to lead the indians w\o chaos. there are just too many indians and not enough for all of them and that leads to the rich and the poor, which destroys unity, which gives the rich power, which is what they want. :shock:
Sun jian
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby The Masked Moogle » Wed Feb 12, 2003 7:12 pm

I think we're definitely making progress. Thus far in this thread we've been comparing ourselves to what we would ideally be, rather than what we were in the past. If we look around and say "We waste too much", the question is "Compared to what?"

With that in mind, we have come a long way. Instead of looking at ourselves, let's look at the civilizations of the past. Rome, the most wasteful and decadent civilization in world history, in which people would watch other people be eaten by lions for fun. Japan, in which people would kill themselves over petty trifles (although some peoples' ideologies would consider this a better practice than what we have today). Or going even further back, the early hominids who lived a completely depraved and meaningless life, barely surviving to the next day.

We have come a long way.

While our capacity to kill has grown, our capacity to save has grown along with it.

While governments are mired in bureacracy, at least we have a government.

People who would once be killed for being nearsighted or sickly at birth now make great discoveries in science, probing the universe for its secrets. Quite an improvement over a time when the greatest secret was how to kill a buffalo, even if science is largely motivated by money.

People now have time to sit and contemplate philosophy and meaning, even if they are just "jumping on the New Age bandwagon". Remember, for every Socrates there's a mob of sophists.

We're not looking ahead to the past.
The Masked Moogle
Narshe Templar

Previous

Return to Current Affairs