America, a democracy?

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

America, a democratic country?

yes
18%
no
80%
never thought of it
2%

Total votes : 49

Unread postby Baka_Neko » Sun Aug 24, 2003 8:34 am

cao vhal wrote:
Enrique M. wrote:
Lion's Mane wrote:Well, other than the simple fact that America is a Republic and not a Democracy doesn't change my views.

Exactly, no more discussion is neccessary after this point. America isn't a democracy, it's a republic.

I think it's more so the fact that saying we're a Democracy when we aren't than that we actualy aren't we are getting at. Plus we have stray talks about the electoral college going on. :roll:

For me.. Democracy == Mobb rule
Considering some of the people in this country.. thats a seriously scary thought.
Baka_Neko

Unread postby Admiral Horthy » Wed Aug 27, 2003 6:58 am

For all the talk about institutional racism (cause, lets face it, personal racial bias can never be eliminated entirely) here's a stat to keep in mind..

In america, black couples who are married earn on average 85% of what white couples make. In economic terms, this percentage is even closer to white couples considering that a huge chunk of the black population lives in the south, where wages (and cost of living) are lower. So it's close, not 100%, but hopefully one day we'll get there.

The problem however can be explained with another statistic. 70% of black children are born out of wedlock. While having divorced/single parents dosen't automatically mean your headed for a life of poverty and crime, it certainly is another obstacle to clear.

The whole point of this is to claim that while certainly there are racists that exists, and even cases of institutionalized racism, the whole concept of "blame the white people" does not hold water in the 21st century. Minority communities of course should confront injustice wherever it exists, however, they also must look inward to their own commmunities, and fix the problems that exist within their own group.
This username does not condone many actions taken by Admiral Horthy during his reign.
Admiral Horthy
Tyro

Unread postby Yuan Seth » Tue Oct 07, 2003 2:22 am

On a sidenote, I voted no.

I think that most of the white populace feels...threatened? They were the ones who made America their colony. They fought for their rights and were the majority, and were running their land. Now you have swarms of Mexicans coming in the United State's borders, taking away American work, and having all these outsiders being given special treatment by the government.

Just the other day, I went to Greenbay (A very large city here in Wisconsin), and I counted several different languages being spoken at the mall. Now, I'm sorry, but this is America. If you go to America...you really should learn how to speak English. It should be a necessity. You don't go to live in China without learning a bit of Chinese, would you? Well, I have a lot of issues about the US, and that is why I plan on moving to the UK or Canada in my later years, unless some reform goes on in the US.
袁 "Since the dawn of time every one will die,
Let the history books note my death with loyalty at heart." --Wen Tianxiang
Yuan Seth
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: Outskirts of Beiping - Driving Gongsun Zan to suicide

Unread postby Fan Kong » Tue Oct 07, 2003 4:29 am

Sun Yuan Seth wrote:I think that most of the white populace feels...threatened? They were the ones who made America their colony. They fought for their rights and were the majority, and were running their land. Now you have swarms of Mexicans coming in the United State's borders, taking away American work, and having all these outsiders being given special treatment by the government.

Yea, white folks loving picking grapes and bussing tables. "Mexicans" as you like to call them dont take jobs aways from "Americans"......they do the jobs "Americans" don't want. Plus, those "Mexicans" become "Americans" after a generation anyways.

Just the other day, I went to Greenbay (A very large city here in Wisconsin), and I counted several different languages being spoken at the mall. Now, I'm sorry, but this is America. If you go to America...you really should learn how to speak English. It should be a necessity. You don't go to live in China without learning a bit of Chinese, would you? Well, I have a lot of issues about the US, and that is why I plan on moving to the UK or Canada in my later years, unless some reform goes on in the US.

Who says they don't know english. Unlike many Americans, many non-whites speak several languages. Forcing them to speak english and only english is just plain idiotic. So next time you visit a foreign country, you should follow your own rules and only speak that language while you are there, you are not allowed to speak english among those you came with.
Fan Kong
Langzhong

Location: Chasing the citizens of Shu........ChangBan part deux!!! >:)

Unread postby Admiral Horthy » Tue Oct 07, 2003 5:58 am

Sun Yuan Seth wrote:

I take a moderate stance on this. I feel that "speak english or get out" is far too harsh of a stance. I feel it should be "know english or get out", at least at a basic level. If nothing else this is for their own saftey, for we are an English speaking society, and not knowing the language can spell disaster for a person. However, if two people are out in public and want to speak their native tounge, dosen't bother me. I was born here in America, but sometimes me and a friend of mine will speak German to each other when we don't want to be understood (and no, I do not come from a German speaking family.)
This username does not condone many actions taken by Admiral Horthy during his reign.
Admiral Horthy
Tyro

Unread postby Griffinmore » Tue Oct 07, 2003 2:35 pm

I agree with Admiral Horthy on the language issue. "When in Rome, do like the Romans." If you can't understand English, then your better off not being here.

As for whether the U.S. is a democracy or not, it is not a pure democracy. A pure democracy on such a large scale could never work. There would be too many voices shotuing for what they want and nothing would get done. That's why a Representative Republic was setup and that the people of the U.S. would be able to vote for representatives in Congress. All the policy making happens in Congress rather than with the President since they hold the purse strings.

One more thing, whoever pointed out eralier that you need an Ivy League degree to be President must have overlooked both Carter and Reagan as well as a few others. Carter garduated from the Naval Academy and Reagan graduated from Eureka College. Correct me of I am wrong, but I believe that neither school is in the Ivy League.
Griffinmore
Tyro

Unread postby Jiang Xun » Wed Oct 08, 2003 8:02 pm

1) America is NOT a deomcracy

2) America is NOt supposed to be a democracy

3) Recent crime studies show that there are now more black on white hate crimes, then white on black, but they are not treated as such.

I feel that America is one of the more liberal places in the world, I mean, look at the gay community, i don't know for a fact, but aren't gays hated in England? More so then here, do they have gay-pride parades over there?

While America still has a long way to go, we have also come a long way.
Jiang Xun
Langzhong

Unread postby English_Druid » Wed Oct 08, 2003 8:25 pm

Jiang Xun wrote:I feel that America is one of the more liberal places in the world, I mean, look at the gay community, i don't know for a fact, but aren't gays hated in England? More so then here, do they have gay-pride parades over there?

No we dont 'hate homosexuals', yes there are gay pride parades, and madigras(sp?) are a common thing throughtout the country for both gay and straight people to enjoy.

I feel were pretty open about things like that, gay people are becoming increasingly equal to hetrosexuals in terms of rights and theres even controversy over gay priests in the Anglican church (thought I might add that its from areas of America and Arfica that dissaprove of this)
The only major area over gay rights is there right to adopt a child, only because this could be very damaging to the child they choose to adopt.
Labour is a very liberal party and alot of changes have occured while they were in power, but if a conservative Government is brought in, you could probably kiss all that goodbye.

Back on topic,
I dont think there will ever truely be a democracy in the world, we will never all get our say on what we want done. And lets face it, an Dictatorship is far more efficient that a Democracy :D

You don't go to live in China without learning a bit of Chinese, would you? Well, I have a lot of issues about the US, and that is why I plan on moving to the UK or Canada in my later years, unless some reform goes on in the US.

If you hate that then NO NOT come to England, I repeat do not move to the UK. Were full of immigrants who cannot speak a word of English, IMO part of the criteria for being granted asylum should be the ability to speak basic English. Its not that hard to learn a few words and you think that if their gonna spend their lives here then it would be smart to pick up a few words and phrases.
But no one dies in the right place
Or in the right hour
And everyone dies sooner than his time
And before he reaches home.
English_Druid
Scholar of Ying Guo

Unread postby Yuan Seth » Tue Oct 14, 2003 12:49 am

I'm sorry if I'm sounding overly conservative on the point. Let me make myself clear. I am fine with others speaking different tongues, but if you are to move to another country, you should at least know a survival course of the language.
袁 "Since the dawn of time every one will die,
Let the history books note my death with loyalty at heart." --Wen Tianxiang
Yuan Seth
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: Outskirts of Beiping - Driving Gongsun Zan to suicide

Unread postby Emily » Tue Oct 14, 2003 5:15 pm

America is a democracy, but it's a representative democracy.

It's true that it's not like the ancient Greek democracy wherein the citizens (a.k.a. the male aristocrats) get together in a public forum and vote on major issues. That would never work in the U.S.

Think about the last time you were in a group of five or more people that had to make a decision- even one as small as deciding what movie to rent or where to go for dinner- that resulted in a minor conflict. Raised voices, pouting, compromises- whatever.

Now according to the last census, the United States has approximately 288,368,698 people. If five people have problems deciding between Mexican or Chinese food, there's no way in hell that 288,368,698 people are going to be able to peacefully elect a president.

Hence the representative democratic system.
"The person who knows how to laugh at himself will never cease to be amused." --Shirley Maclaine
Emily
Texas Tornado

PreviousNext

Return to Current Affairs