Law.

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Unread postby Dragon » Wed Feb 05, 2003 3:17 pm

I don't understand why some parents are hypocritical. Not that they mean to be but by acciedent. When parents say "Don't drink booze" and their drinking at that moment it doesn't really enforce what they say. Personal, I never drink because I'm sick and tired of seeing people waste their money just to throw up. Some friends of my drink to get drunk and throw up. Here in Canada, the law is 19 but that doens't stop kids from getting alcohol (like my 18 year old friends). I can't see this law really doing much good. I believe if they strengthened the punishment then perhaps people may listen.
My power is stronger then any you will ever see.
Dragon
Sage

Unread postby Sun jian » Thu Feb 06, 2003 7:31 pm

Dragon wrote:I don't understand why some parents are hypocritical. Not that they mean to be but by acciedent. When parents say "Don't drink booze" and their drinking at that moment it doesn't really enforce what they say. Personal, I never drink because I'm sick and tired of seeing people waste their money just to throw up. Some friends of my drink to get drunk and throw up. Here in Canada, the law is 19 but that doens't stop kids from getting alcohol (like my 18 year old friends). I can't see this law really doing much good. I believe if they strengthened the punishment then perhaps people may listen.

true. i'm a parent and i will make sure my kids don't drink. i don't drink so they won't; at least til they're old enough, then if they want to drink they can but there are always consequences for such things, whether they're meant to be good or bad. i think drinking age should coincide with the age you can defend your country or be tried as an adult in court. and yes, penalties should be more harsh, not just a slap on the hand. kids nowadays need more to convince them, like real life situations. when i was a teenager you didn't drink cause you were afraid the cops would put you in jail and Dad would be mad( i never wanted to anger my father, ever). nowadays, parents are too lenient and that's allowing these things to get out of hand. discipline should start at home; if it did kids would be less prone to modern 'cool' things like drugs, booze, etc. the world would be a lot less dangerous w\o fear of drunk drivers or drug dealers and i'd be happy with that. wouldn't you?
Sun jian
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Seven at One Stroke » Fri Feb 07, 2003 1:07 am

Dragon wrote:I don't understand why some parents are hypocritical. Not that they mean to be but by acciedent. When parents say "Don't drink booze" and their drinking at that moment it doesn't really enforce what they say. Personal, I never drink because I'm sick and tired of seeing people waste their money just to throw up. Some friends of my drink to get drunk and throw up. Here in Canada, the law is 19 but that doens't stop kids from getting alcohol (like my 18 year old friends). I can't see this law really doing much good. I believe if they strengthened the punishment then perhaps people may listen.

I think there's a big difference between people who drink moderately and those who drink to get drunk (a staple of drunking teenagers). When parents say "don't drink booze," most of them worry about the consequences of teenage-drinking, which often includes intoxication that can, and often does lead to traffic accidents and unwise actions. Of course there always are exceptions.
Moderation in pursuit of actual work is no vice.
Seven at One Stroke
Sei's Slave

Unread postby Jonathan » Wed Feb 12, 2003 12:16 am

Well there doesn’t seem to be any debate, just opinions, which is cool, so onto the next law. In America the thirty-eight out of fifty states the issue capital punishment the legal age is sixteen. Which surprised me a little, I think it should be around thirteen or fourteen, I know when I was that young I could have planned a murder with the knowledge of knowing exactly what I was doing, and not just being subject to “adolescent behavior”.
Also known as Zhuge Xuanshi
"The problem with the gene pool is, there's no lifeguard."
-Steven Wright
Jonathan
Censored
Censored

Unread postby rcsha » Wed Feb 12, 2003 3:42 am

Jonathan wrote:Well there doesn’t seem to be any debate, just opinions, which is cool, so onto the next law. In America the thirty-eight out of fifty states the issue capital punishment the legal age is sixteen. Which surprised me a little, I think it should be around thirteen or fourteen, I know when I was that young I could have planned a murder with the knowledge of knowing exactly what I was doing, and not just being subject to “adolescent behavior”.

I say 10. I strongly believe in capital punishment. I am happy to see that 16 is an agreeable age for capital punishment, but I'd prefer it was much sooner.

I know that by the time I was 10, I was coherent enough in killing, to plan out an entire set of murders. Addmittingly however I'd have been caught, I wasn't as meticulous, then, as I am now. But I was only 10, unfortunately they' probably have kept me in Juvenille Hall until I was 18 or 21 and then set me free upon the world...pity the way our government is set up.
Dickjutsu.com
The Bruce Lee of Dickery.
rcsha
Ao Kaio Nankou

Unread postby Doozer » Thu Feb 13, 2003 7:36 pm

The only problem I have with a low age for Capital Punishment, is that most kids that would kill somebody at an age of 10 would have to have serious problems, such as child abuse and what not. If you grow up as an abused child, your views and ability to reason and understand that murder is wrong, can become very warped. It is a sticky question, and I don't know what the correct answer would be. Children that young who would kill somebody really would have to be in a state that they didn't truely understand the consequences of their actions.
Doozer
Initiate

Previous

Return to Current Affairs