Affirmative Action?

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Affirmative Action?

Unread postby Shi Jing Xu » Wed Jan 29, 2003 3:46 am

Can someone please explain this to me? I heard this guy talk about it after the President's State of the Union today.
"As if you could kill time without injuring eternity." ~ Henry David Thoreau
Shi Jing Xu
Hermione G

Unread postby Chen Kun » Wed Jan 29, 2003 3:50 am

I think it is something related to racial issue.The minorities could sue people who discriminate them :?
I AM CHEN KUN OF SOC,WHO DARE TO CHALLENGE ME?
Chen Kun
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Rhiannon » Wed Jan 29, 2003 4:59 am

Umm, well, there's differing approaches to Affirmative Action.

Affirmative Action itself is the ideal/policy/belief that minorities should get fair chances in society -- mainly in school enrollment and employment. This "fair chances" means that minorities should not be discriminated against in any way, and also means (usually) that they should be given equal opportunities to achieve their potential (ie, in forms of scholarship, training, etc).

Mild affirmative action believes that this can be done with simple things like scholarships, grants, loans, employee training programs, local area advertising, etc.

Extreme affirmative action believes that this should be achieved by helping minorities get into schools and workplaces by establishing racial/gender quotas, or by "aiding" their assessment with inflated scores (ie, in an assessment exam, adding an extra 20 points because of a person's racial identity, whereas whites would not recieve those points regardless of their achievements).

The quota system I believe was done away with nationwide, but I could be wrong. We had it here in California for a while but declared it unconstitutional, and went to mild affirmative action programs. The instance (in Michigan I believe) that everyone's upset with Bush over, is the 20 point assessment score thing.

Does that make sense?
"For us to have self-esteem is truly an act of revolution and our revolution is long overdue."
— Margaret Cho
Rhiannon
Joy & Oblivion
Joy & Oblivion

Unread postby Lightsyde » Wed Jan 29, 2003 5:09 am

Wild-Eyes has it pretty much nailed.

Quotas were declared unconstitutional in most of the states, but because of this veritable breeding ground of lawsuits, many de facto quotas are still enforced. Many places, schools especially, will accept or hire a minority before a white or asian applicant despite qualifications. It's just ridiculous how far it will go, but lately there have been reverse discrimination suits by white and asian people.

Incredibly, democrats have been pushing for stronger affirmative action over the past 5 years. It goes hand in hand with such things as Civil War reparations. My family had to pay 1.3 million dollars to a black family because of events that took place 150 years ago. Well, AA is much the same. These days, minorities refuse to accept equality and continue to demand more and more. It sickens me.
Guess what? I've got a feevah, and the only prescription, is more cow-bell.
Lightsyde
Master

Unread postby Rhiannon » Wed Jan 29, 2003 5:19 am

Lightsyde wrote:These days, minorities refuse to accept equality and continue to demand more and more. It sickens me.

Well, that depends on what minority you're talking about and where they're living. Blacks for the most part, I'd agree with. Mexicans, so-so. Asians don't seem to want anything at all. Indians...sigh...if anyone deserves reparations its the Indians.
"For us to have self-esteem is truly an act of revolution and our revolution is long overdue."
— Margaret Cho
Rhiannon
Joy & Oblivion
Joy & Oblivion

Unread postby Wen Choung » Wed Jan 29, 2003 5:57 am

Lightsyde wrote:These days, minorities refuse to accept equality and continue to demand more and more. It sickens me.

True. It disturbs me as well. Sometimes, people play the race card to get ahead in life while at the same time they argue for equality. And I'm a minority as well but I'm not so blind as to not see through these things.

I know I went off topic but I had to let that out... :x
Wen Choung
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Iznoach, Legendary Dragon » Wed Jan 29, 2003 8:29 am

Wen Choung wrote:

True. It disturbs me as well. Sometimes, people play the race card to get ahead in life while at the same time they argue for equality. And I'm a minority as well but I'm not so blind as to not see through these things.

I know I went off topic but I had to let that out... :x

Yes, it's true that some minorities will play the race card to try to get ahead, but I don't really blame them. I blame the government for actually imposing the ludicrous AA in the first place. I say if its there, go for it, ya got my blessing. I tell you what though, there is a flipside to the Affirmative Action giving lesser qualified minorities jobs over more qualified whites: the "good ole' boy" system which still exists. It's mostly in small towns, and your pal Iznoach was a victim of it a couple years ago. It was a case of me being extremely qualified for the position, but a lesser qualified candidate received the job because she knew the president of the company. :x That sickens me even more than the rediculous quotas of AA.
"Armed and dangerous, ain't too many can hang wit us
straight up weed no angel dust, label us Notorious..."--Biggie
Iznoach, Legendary Dragon
Gunslinger

Unread postby Harimau » Wed Jan 29, 2003 9:13 am

What is interesting about this is that Bush is hypocrite when talking about Affirmative Action. He himself got into Yale by using the Alumni favourtism from his dear old dad. His SAT was absolutely disgraceful and would have not have been allowed to enter Yale is he hadnt been Bush's son. Affirmative Action indeed.
If I'm posting here, it means I'm procrastinating.
Harimau
Shangshu Ling

Unread postby Shi Jing Xu » Wed Jan 29, 2003 12:04 pm

I think that AA in most cases seems wrong now, especially in the cases like w/ Bush as Harimau said, and with Iznoach. I don't see how that is fair at all. :?
"As if you could kill time without injuring eternity." ~ Henry David Thoreau
Shi Jing Xu
Hermione G

Unread postby Sun jian » Wed Jan 29, 2003 12:09 pm

Wild-Eyes wrote:

Well, that depends on what minority you're talking about and where they're living. Blacks for the most part, I'd agree with. Mexicans, so-so. Asians don't seem to want anything at all. Indians...sigh...if anyone deserves reparations its the Indians.

i agree. i'm asian and Native American and i think the descendants of slaves want redemption for their ancestors, and they don't realize what happened then won't happen again. they just want an easier life and want to have ten kids w\o working for their money. they just milk our gullible government out of more money. Mexicans just want what Mexico can't give them so they immigrate to US. Asians just want peace and Indians just want what they diserve for their long endured hardships. honestly, i agree w\ you, Wild-Eyes, Indians diserve that money more than others. i don't wish to offend anyone but it's the truth as i see it. 8-)
Sun jian
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Current Affairs