Cloning...

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Unread postby ballista99999 » Mon Jan 27, 2003 10:54 pm

DNA 99.9999 percent the same? Really? :shock:

I didn't think .00001 percent would make such difference, but then again, we're all belong to the human race, so I'll believe that.
"I shall defeat thee with a single blow!!" - Ma Chao
"Blood... Darkness... Come to me!" - Nightmare of SC
ballista99999
Assistant

Unread postby Lady Lazarus » Tue Jan 28, 2003 1:46 am

Hope mankind use this technology wisely...
Formerly Zhao_Yun Lover
Lady Lazarus
Langzhong

Unread postby rcsha » Tue Jan 28, 2003 2:08 am

Zhao_Yun Lover wrote:Hope mankind use this technology wisely...

I agree...

Who's up for a Clone War?! I'll bet 5 of me can take down...7 of James! Or maybe 3 of me against 9 of Harimau? :D j/k.

Nonetheless, though...I support cloning, it can be used well. Unfortunately if the wrong people (you know them...the WRONG people...lol) ere to get a hold of the technology, then bad things would happen.

For instance...Saddam Hussein gets hold of the technology. He gets a little sample of blood from Dolph Lundgren. He reproduces 5 thousand Dolph Lundgrens...

I'd rather fight 10 thousand Iraqi rabble, than 5 thousand Dolph Lundgrens!

But if the right people were to get their hands on it...
They could exume the people who died of Cadmium poisoning and clone them. Thus giving the dead people a chance to get reveng on the people who poisoned them (assuming it is true that foul play was involved).

Or for a less war-mongering view...
Clone the most recent Chemistry Nobel Prize Winner...make 10 of him and send them all to work. Imagine what 11 of the best people could think up? They'd have so many new Elements that it would take generations for High School sutdents to cath up and get a grip on the Periodic Table of Elements! :lol:
rcsha
Ao Kaio Nankou

Unread postby DianWei » Tue Jan 28, 2003 4:16 am

does anyone have a firm understanding of cloning technology?
a clone does not know anything of the person they are cloned from unless informed, they are only geneticly the same, and no one will confuse a 1 year old clone of you for the real you...
Im in ur vanguard, vanquishin ur d00ds.
DianWei
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lady Lazarus » Wed Jan 29, 2003 2:43 am

Anyone read Aldous Huxley's 'Brave New World'? Written in 1931 but a wonderful sci-fi on a detailed world of cloning...
Formerly Zhao_Yun Lover
Lady Lazarus
Langzhong

Unread postby DianWei » Wed Jan 29, 2003 3:21 pm

i was doing research on this topic and I found out that the debate on cloning was sparked in 1978 when the book "In his Image, The Cloning of Man" by David Horvik was published...
the earliest thing i found in cloning was when a german scientist named Hans Speman "theroretically" developed the modern day method of cloning... however it wasnt practically used until 1952.
Im in ur vanguard, vanquishin ur d00ds.
DianWei
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Seven at One Stroke » Sat Feb 08, 2003 1:34 am

DianWei wrote:i was doing research on this topic and I found out that the debate on cloning was sparked in 1978 when the book "In his Image, The Cloning of Man" by David Horvik was published...
the earliest thing i found in cloning was when a german scientist named Hans Speman "theroretically" developed the modern day method of cloning... however it wasnt practically used until 1952.

I don't know much about genetics or cloning, but is the "cloning technology" we are talking about the reconstruction of an organism from a stem cell?

If so, then technically, cloning has been going on since life began. Single-cell organisms reproduce asexually and make exactly replicas of themselves thousands of times in one hour; you take a willow twig and stick it in the soil, and couple years later you get a fully-grown willow with the exact genetic make-up (or close to it); in our bodies, our skin cells make exact copies of themselves to replace the lost skin cells. Cloning in general isn't new at all, although cloning animals from stem cells are just introduced recently and people are very anxious about the consequences of this new development. The research of cloning technology doesn't really pose a problem until put into real life situations, and unless these issues are properly addressed cloning shouldn't be introduced into the private sectors.

By the way, is there a Science/Technology thread anywhere?
Moderation in pursuit of actual work is no vice.
Seven at One Stroke
Sei's Slave

Unread postby Justin » Sat Feb 08, 2003 3:39 am

rcsha wrote:
Zhao_Yun Lover wrote:Hope mankind use this technology wisely...

I agree...

Who's up for a Clone War?! I'll bet 5 of me can take down...7 of James! Or maybe 3 of me against 9 of Harimau? :D j/k.

Nonetheless, though...I support cloning, it can be used well. Unfortunately if the wrong people (you know them...the WRONG people...lol) ere to get a hold of the technology, then bad things would happen.

For instance...Saddam Hussein gets hold of the technology. He gets a little sample of blood from Dolph Lundgren. He reproduces 5 thousand Dolph Lundgrens...

I'd rather fight 10 thousand Iraqi rabble, than 5 thousand Dolph Lundgrens!

But if the right people were to get their hands on it...
They could exume the people who died of Cadmium poisoning and clone them. Thus giving the dead people a chance to get reveng on the people who poisoned them (assuming it is true that foul play was involved).

Or for a less war-mongering view...
Clone the most recent Chemistry Nobel Prize Winner...make 10 of him and send them all to work. Imagine what 11 of the best people could think up? They'd have so many new Elements that it would take generations for High School sutdents to cath up and get a grip on the Periodic Table of Elements! :lol:

Yes 7 James is just what we need........ :lol:

Kidding aside who we need clones of are sarah michelle geller. Yes cloning indeed....
My Website

My Blog

The Dungeon

Trouble maker extraordinaire!
Justin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby The Masked Moogle » Sat Feb 08, 2003 4:39 am

Humanity is really hurtling towards its own de-humanization.. When we start implementing cloning and genetic engineering in general, it's only a matter of time before we end up with "designer babies". Middle-of-the-road government restrictions would wind up completely useless... Where do we place them? And how are they enforced?

However, on the same note I don't agree with the "If God wanted it done he would have done it himself" argument. If we said that about everything, we'd still be living in caves. What if the Wright Brothers had decided, "If God wanted us to fly, he would have given us wings"? We'd have no airplanes, World War I & II would have been completely different, the world as we know it wouldn't exist. So we can't stop ourselves from doing something simply because it wasn't done by God.

The argument is more one that it will lead to the de-humanization of society, rendering us a colony of robots. Something which, considered heartlessly, is good; but our hearts are what separate us from.. well.. robots.
The Masked Moogle
Narshe Templar

Unread postby CnB2186 » Mon Feb 10, 2003 2:22 pm

[quote="Mu Shu"]Whats the big deal over cloning.... within a few decades (or maybe centuries??) the technology to make the human race as we know it obsolete will exist. They'll be able to improve on humans the way computers have improved over the past 20 years.... humans will become like the commonly published pictures of aliens with the enormous brains... they'll have IQ's of 500... or maybe 5000....

Is cloning really nessecary. Why do we need more people? The poplulation growth is crazy. If you want to clone go to the moon or something.:lol: The world is made up of avg. people, why try to make them smarter. It'll just cause problems in the end. Thank about it. Also did God step off the throne and make us the gods to create. No. not at all. I dont thank we should try to make something that God made first(in his image). There is no need for cloning. There is really no use for it. What if someone bad got ahold on the tech. and started cloning a army. Yeah that would go down well wouldn't it.
CnB2186
Apprentice

PreviousNext

Return to Current Affairs