How do you think our world would be affected if...

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

How do you think our world would be affected if...

Unread postby Stefanos » Mon Jan 27, 2003 1:47 am

We discovered that other life exists in the universe? Would we go into a mad confusion and the world would be in uproar or would be take it as a hoax and continue their lives as normal?

Personally I think that our world would be turned upside down, yet there would be the small resistance group ignorantly sticking to their opinion. This alteration of life would be unfathomable... I would just be speechless and yet exhilerated at the same time.
I told you I get paid for every letter.. like abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
Stefanos
我的甜孩子

Unread postby Lady Lazarus » Mon Jan 27, 2003 2:08 am

Personally I always believed in life outside earth...

but of course the majority narrow-minded public would panic if that is proved true, after all it's the 'survival of the fittest'. Too much 'star-wars' movies and the greedy nature of humanself had lead to a definite belief that 'invasion' would be the first thing on the mind of aliens....

Maybe our kind had contacted other races a long time ago (pyramids), but the degrading personality of mankind ever since had scared them away :shock:

I would be one of the first to welcome them 8-) , and to those scared of invasion, why would a millionare want to stole money off some poor beggar on the side of streets??
Formerly Zhao_Yun Lover
Lady Lazarus
Langzhong

Unread postby Rhiannon » Mon Jan 27, 2003 2:13 am

I'd like to think along the lines of the heliocentric universe announcement, but at the same time, we've been searching and hoping for signs of life in the universe for long enough now, I think it'd become accepted.

I don't think it would be a major uproar -- unless something about those beings existance radically challenged science's knowledge as we know it (eg, that life can't possibly be carbon based or that singularities are impossible).

However, if it came to interactions with human-like beings (if that's more along what you're referring to), I think it'd become a love or hate relationship. Some people would love them and want to know everything they did; a lot more people would probably hate them indescribably and go so far as to form organizations and take actions (ie, kill and harm) them.
"For us to have self-esteem is truly an act of revolution and our revolution is long overdue."
— Margaret Cho
Rhiannon
Joy & Oblivion
Joy & Oblivion

Unread postby Russell » Mon Jan 27, 2003 2:29 am

I believe that there is other life in the universe, only those ignorant would not. But what most people don't realize, is that even with the grandest of travel means, the universe is infinitely large, so the odds against us ever 'meeting' them are staggering.
I suppose I should put something here, shouldn't I?
Russell
Genuises of the ISS
Genuises of the ISS

Unread postby The Masked Moogle » Mon Jan 27, 2003 2:40 am

Remember "Signs"? Aliens would have a good reason to invade.. Labor.

There's also the possibilty of us finding a LESS advanced civilization.. That'd be interesting.
The Masked Moogle
Narshe Templar

Unread postby Justin » Mon Jan 27, 2003 3:19 am

well considering the size and age of the univerise there has to be something out there. But what are our chances of contacting it? Especially using radio waves which have no long term transfer power. I think that life is out there, but it will come to us not the other way around. Imagine the scenes from contact, that's what I imagine. People freaking and getting all weirded out.
My Website

My Blog

The Dungeon

Trouble maker extraordinaire!
Justin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Chen Kun » Mon Jan 27, 2003 5:32 am

we will send the investigators to that planet to search for bio/nuke weapons, if they have the weapons we will clasiffy them as axis of evil and invade them :twisted:
seriously, I think people will become panic :?
I AM CHEN KUN OF SOC,WHO DARE TO CHALLENGE ME?
Chen Kun
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby zhaozilong158 » Mon Jan 27, 2003 5:53 am

Well it depends on what life you're talking about. If it's bacteria or some form of algae found on Mars or Europa, then no, people won't even care. But if it's aliens that have a backbone, organs, head, abdomen, walks on two legs, talks in an unintelligible language, holds some sort of weapon, and clearly visible to the naked eye then people will freak out. As to whether the aliens are capable of invading and destroying us all depends on who's being the visitor and the guest. If we humans have the capability to discover and visit them, obviously we are a more advanced race. But if they, with their UFOs come and visit us, then I would have a reason to be scared of being abducted and destroyed since they have more advanced technology than us, therefore equalling to better capability to kill us.
zhaozilong158
Academic

Unread postby Mengdez New Book » Mon Jan 27, 2003 5:54 am

At least the whole World suffer together with you, how great !!! :lol:
Remember independence day? it is interesting. :D
Mengdez New Book
No Title

Unread postby Sun jian » Mon Jan 27, 2003 12:49 pm

i think at first people would panic; they like to know they're the best species in the universe. then, after a while we would be curious; picking up an alien corpse to examine it w\ autopsy. :shock: finally, we would learn to except them, maybe after a war where mankind becomes humble and accepts the fact that we're not the only intelligent life in ths universe or after we've almost been annihilated and we have no choice but to live with them. either way, our arrogance as a species has made us blind to the possibilities of other life out there. those few that do believe there is other intelligence besides us are very enlightened and would be the ones that welcomed the aliens. i'm one of them. 8-) everyone else would try to kill them so mankind can feel good about himself; which only leads to war and chaos if aliens ever visited Earth for one day. we're not the only species in this vast universe; why would the Lord put life on just one planet? he wouldn't, too much risk of extinction. 8-)
Sun jian
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Current Affairs