Technology: Can we do w\o it?

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Technology:what could we do without?

all of it, go back to the simple life
36%
none of it, life would suck w\o cars or tall buildings
5%
some of it, cell phones and palm computers are just too much
18%
make more! the computers are too slow as it is
41%

Total votes : 22

Unread postby Sun jian » Wed Jan 22, 2003 12:32 pm

Iznoach wrote:After thinking about it for awhile, I think we could lose alot of it, but not all. I mean, I read somewhere a while back that a man thousands of years ago only worked an average of 16 hours a week (a full 7 days), and relaxed the rest of the time. Granted, the work he was doing was hunting and defending his family, but still...

i'd rather hunt and defend my family than work 40 hours a week just to keep food on the table. all work and no play is not a happy existence. i also know this from experience. :wink: 3 jobs just to support my parents and siblings; i was the oldest child after all. now our play isn't running through the woods on a sunny day; instead it's sitting at a desk or in a chair web or channel surfing, not enjoying the simple things in life. 8-)
Sun jian
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Iznoach, Legendary Dragon » Wed Jan 22, 2003 12:39 pm

Sun jian wrote:i'd rather hunt and defend my family than work 40 hours a week just to keep food on the table. all work and no play is not a happy existence. i also know this from experience. :wink: 3 jobs just to support my parents and siblings; i was the oldest child after all. now our play isn't running through the woods on a sunny day; instead it's sitting at a desk or in a chair web or channel surfing, not enjoying the simple things in life. 8-)

That's exactly what I'm talking about! Life's too short to spend it cooped up in an office all day (or all night, in my instance), when you could be outside, playing with your kids, or getting drunk :lol: When you get rid of the technology, though, you can't get rid of the alcohol!
"Armed and dangerous, ain't too many can hang wit us
straight up weed no angel dust, label us Notorious..."--Biggie
Iznoach, Legendary Dragon
Gunslinger

Unread postby Sun jian » Wed Jan 22, 2003 12:39 pm

Iznoach wrote:You know, I thought about the medical impact while formulating my response, and I don't really think it's a major factor. Why? Well, simply put, mother nature has a way of taking care of things, technology or not. It's called survival of the fittest. We all owe a death, that much is certain. If it's your time, it's your time and there's nothing much you can do about it. I have absolutely no problem with "better living through technology" (read: drugs :lol: ), but maybe we wouldn't have a lot of the overpopulation problems, and the illnesses that spring from it. I'm probably in the minority on this one though...

i definitely agree with that point. :wink: overpopulation is the most prominent reason for widespread illnesses. AIDS wouldn't be so common if there were less people. :wink: and yes, mother nature does take care of things; she uses hurricanes to keep humans off her beaches, fires to burn the old and allow renewal, etc. why? to keep humans from totally filling the land w\ skyscrapers, or roads, or other technological things.
Sun jian
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun jian » Wed Jan 22, 2003 1:36 pm

Iznoach wrote:That's exactly what I'm talking about! Life's too short to spend it cooped up in an office all day (or all night, in my instance), when you could be outside, playing with your kids, or getting drunk :lol: When you get rid of the technology, though, you can't get rid of the alcohol!

the office life sucks, simply put. i'd rather have wine over a game of chess on my porch than typing or sitting in my house constantly. we're just to spoiled by all this technology and we've forgotten the hardships past generations went through to get us this far. 8-)
Sun jian
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Tianshan Zi » Wed Jan 22, 2003 3:01 pm

The aspects of my tech-related job that just kill me are working in front of a PC monitor all day and sitting for hours on end. In a few years, my job will have rendered me blind and fat. :lol:
Tianshan Zi
Headless Thompson Gunner

Unread postby Sun jian » Wed Jan 22, 2003 3:32 pm

Tianshan Tzu wrote:The aspects of my tech-related job that just kill me are working in front of a PC monitor all day and sitting for hours on end. In a few years, my job will have rendered me blind and fat. :lol:

that seems to be a common problem and i don't like that at all. technology may be helpful but it can be harmful too; just like anything. there are pros and cons to everything. people only see what computers are good for; no one looks at the bad and that will lead to problems later on. why don't people use technology in moderation, as a luxury, instead of like a necessity? simple technology is good, like wrenches and rope, but the complex stuff has a lot more cons than pros in my opinion.... 8-)
Sun jian
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lady Lazarus » Thu Jan 23, 2003 9:29 am

Sun jian wrote:
Iznoach wrote:You know, I thought about the medical impact while formulating my response, and I don't really think it's a major factor. Why? Well, simply put, mother nature has a way of taking care of things, technology or not. It's called survival of the fittest. We all owe a death, that much is certain. If it's your time, it's your time and there's nothing much you can do about it. I have absolutely no problem with "better living through technology" (read: drugs :lol: ), but maybe we wouldn't have a lot of the overpopulation problems, and the illnesses that spring from it. I'm probably in the minority on this one though...

i definitely agree with that point. :wink: overpopulation is the most prominent reason for widespread illnesses. AIDS wouldn't be so common if there were less people. :wink: and yes, mother nature does take care of things; she uses hurricanes to keep humans off her beaches, fires to burn the old and allow renewal, etc. why? to keep humans from totally filling the land w\ skyscrapers, or roads, or other technological things.

Still I think our past generations worked so hard to get to this technology, and if you are talking about survival of the fittest, humans are obviously so vulnerable compare to other species when it comes to nature, without their intellengence (thus technology), they wouldn't have made this far...

If it's your time, it's your time and there's nothing much you can do about it sure that sounds nice, but how many women died of childbirth back then without technology? so is that their time??

we all know life is too short, so it's right to make it longer for everyone...
Formerly Zhao_Yun Lover
Lady Lazarus
Langzhong

Unread postby Iznoach, Legendary Dragon » Thu Jan 23, 2003 10:39 am

Zhao_Yun Lover wrote:Still I think our past generations worked so hard to get to this technology, and if you are talking about survival of the fittest, humans are obviously so vulnerable compare to other species when it comes to nature, without their intellengence (thus technology), they wouldn't have made this far...

To some extent, that is indeed true. We are lacking in physical strength, so we have much more complicated brains and reasoning power, along with a thumb, and that gives us a huge advantage over other species on earth. I just think a whole lot of technology is totally unnecessary.

Zhao_Yun Lover wrote:If it's your time, it's your time and there's nothing much you can do about it sure that sounds nice, but how many women died of childbirth back then without technology? so is that their time??

I hate to sound cold-hearted (because I'm really a sweatheart :wink: ), but yes it was their time. I'm a believer in destiny, and that things are going to happen. You can't know what's going to happen in the future in any detail, so there's no way that you can change what's gonna happen. You can lessen the risks of things happening, such as mothers dying in child birth, but that still happens today even with all the technology. Who's to say that by that person being saved, she won't be hit by a car and killed after she's released from the hospital? Or maybe when she gets home and takes a shower, drop the radio in the tub and get electrocuted? I know that sounds harsh, but that's the way I view it. It's just my belief that if it's your "time", than it's gonna happen one way or another. That's not me being religeous, cause I'm not. That's just my view, based on my life experiences and learnings.

By the way, I was just using the pregnant mother as an example, I meant in no way to come off as a sexist, if indeed I did. And if I did, I sincerely apologize. :)

Zhao_Yun Lover wrote:we all know life is too short, so it's right to make it longer for everyone...

That's a good sentiment, and I plan on living as long as possible. :lol: Also though, I'd like to add that just living isn't enough, you must have fun and live life to the fullest!
"Armed and dangerous, ain't too many can hang wit us
straight up weed no angel dust, label us Notorious..."--Biggie
Iznoach, Legendary Dragon
Gunslinger

Unread postby Sun jian » Thu Jan 23, 2003 11:54 am

Iznoach wrote:That's a good sentiment, and I plan on living as long as possible. :lol: Also though, I'd like to add that just living isn't enough, you must have fun and live life to the fullest!

that's definitely true and i wish more people would think like that. there wouldn't be so much abuse of the technology we have and life would be a lot better in every way. we can have fun with technology but the day it isn't fun is the day we need to slow down and enjoy it more or just have it as a luxury, like now. we all enjoy our luxuries, mostly, right? technology is a luxury that's seriously over used and eventually will become a burden. 8-)
Sun jian
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lady Lazarus » Fri Jan 24, 2003 6:48 am

Sun jian wrote:
Iznoach wrote:That's a good sentiment, and I plan on living as long as possible. :lol: Also though, I'd like to add that just living isn't enough, you must have fun and live life to the fullest!

that's definitely true and i wish more people would think like that. there wouldn't be so much abuse of the technology we have and life would be a lot better in every way. we can have fun with technology but the day it isn't fun is the day we need to slow down and enjoy it more or just have it as a luxury, like now. we all enjoy our luxuries, mostly, right? technology is a luxury that's seriously over used and eventually will become a burden. 8-)

I don't totally disagree with the things you guys said, but to live a longer and fuller life we still need some technology. Mankind is so fragile in nature, we cant help but use technology to live longer. If people just live until 'their time comes', then what happens to those unachieved dreams? how to live life to the fullest if you don't have time to? or I suppose life is just like a game of DW where you have to complete the 'stages' in set time?? :shock:

And to live life to the fullest, I know our past generations also had fun without the supplies of current technology, but today we are able to do more things we want with the help of it. Man is born with curiosity, sure it would be more difficult to explore the world on a horse...

I know past dreams have been shattered by overuse of techonolgy (eg. world peace), but really we can't blame technology for what happened, mankind developed them, it's the nature of human today that we really to be concerned about, it's the hand that uses technology that's important...

so yeah let's just blame human race for being evil :twisted: ...
Formerly Zhao_Yun Lover
Lady Lazarus
Langzhong

PreviousNext

Return to Current Affairs