Technology: Can we do w\o it?

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Technology:what could we do without?

all of it, go back to the simple life
36%
none of it, life would suck w\o cars or tall buildings
5%
some of it, cell phones and palm computers are just too much
18%
make more! the computers are too slow as it is
41%

Total votes : 22

Unread postby Rhiannon » Wed Jan 22, 2003 2:22 am

James has a very good point. Technology has many, many advantages. As much as I'd love doing away with modern technology, the advantages can't be forgotten. I'd rather see world societies become less technologically dependant -- to retain the technology but to make it scarce and non-essential (a commodity, not a necessity).
"For us to have self-esteem is truly an act of revolution and our revolution is long overdue."
— Margaret Cho
Rhiannon
Joy & Oblivion
Joy & Oblivion

Unread postby Starscream » Wed Jan 22, 2003 2:45 am

Human civilisations no matter how simple or primitive will have technology to aid them in their daily lives. A simple chisel, rope, wheel, or even clothing are the products of science and technology. Technology will continue to exist, especially technology of communications, because human beings are social animals and contacts between human beings are made all the time. Before the coming of Internet, we have the telephone, telegram, mail services, etc. All these are large-scale coordinated organizational arrangements that operate to facilitate communications from large social organizations to individuals. Technology is important and part and parcel of societal organizations, hence unless there is a breakdown of the "social", there is no way technology will exit from our lives.
”太慢了。“
Starscream
Decepticon Air Commander

Unread postby Lady Lazarus » Wed Jan 22, 2003 3:29 am

If technology means all computerised/machine related equipment we use, then I don't think it would be easy to return to a much simpler life....

Not to memtion the advantages it has brought us, we are far too dependent on current technology, we sure can keep the knowledege we already knew, but will we be able to use is sufficiently without the help of those technology?

I don't want to die young due to the lack of medical equipment :shock: (eg. ambulance) ...
Formerly Zhao_Yun Lover
Lady Lazarus
Langzhong

Unread postby Wen Choung » Wed Jan 22, 2003 5:09 am

Technology that Cai Yan mentioned early on MUST exist. Tools such as the wheel and rope and such are needed to give us at least ONE survival tactic. I mean animals have claws, killer teeth, strong muscles, speed, everything! Humans only have the ability to reason! ONLY! So humans must use that reason to the best of their ability.

But technology such as computers and cars and toasters...mmm toasters...are a bit different. It's all about our experience. We've felt how good it is to be able to eat food without going out to look for it. We want to keep that feeling. But if we've been hunting all our lives and everyone else does the same and we've never known the feeling of NOT hunting, then who would care? We'd go hunting just the same.

The experience of technology "ruins" us in making us lazy. But being the lazy person I am, I'm all for technology! :lol:
Wen Choung
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Iznoach, Legendary Dragon » Wed Jan 22, 2003 9:35 am

After thinking about it for awhile, I think we could lose alot of it, but not all. I mean, I read somewhere a while back that a man thousands of years ago only worked an average of 16 hours a week (a full 7 days), and relaxed the rest of the time. Granted, the work he was doing was hunting and defending his family, but still...
"Armed and dangerous, ain't too many can hang wit us
straight up weed no angel dust, label us Notorious..."--Biggie
Iznoach, Legendary Dragon
Gunslinger

Unread postby Ju Bei » Wed Jan 22, 2003 11:01 am

Im not sure what I would think about this. I mean, yeah less technology would leave out guns and bombs and weapons of that sort. But also, what about our Medical technology, we have found many cures to all kinds of diseases, granted a number of ways to kill people as well, but without medical technology we would be dieing of diseases like small pox, the flu, and weak things that we have cures for. It seems no matter what part of technology you take, whether it be Medicine, Weaponry, Communications, Information, Transportation... You would have to take away a part of technology from the other sections, just because one type would influence another section, and it would then influence something else.
"Let's face it, comedy's a dead art form. Tragedy, now that's funny."

"Fine. I'll go build my own lunar lander! With blackjack! And hookers! In fact, forget the lunar lander and the blackjack! Ah, screw the whole thing."
Ju Bei
The Black Swordsman

Unread postby Sun jian » Wed Jan 22, 2003 12:16 pm

James wrote:Guess it depends on how you define technology? Is technology a hammer, a beautiful sword, a rifle, or a new car? Sure, humanity could survive just fine without technology in any form (I suppose we would want to keep spears and such around), but the real question is would we want to? I may not care for weapons of mass destruction, or even guns, but it would be a damn shame to loose my computer and the Internet in favor of knowing the few in my local area. The loss of knowledge would be a sad price to pay.

well said and i agree with you but i've learned that the more people you know the more likely you are to run into problems. i have a small circle of friends and i do because earlier in my life people envied me and were out to get me in every way possible; until now. 8-) now, with few friends i know who i'm with and everyone leaves me alone when i want to be in solitude, which isn't often. 8-) i like it that way and technology seems to make us run into people constantly. :shock: yes, phones, computers, and other devices are nice but a little time to ourselves every now and then is good, even for the most social people. 8-)
Sun jian
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun jian » Wed Jan 22, 2003 12:19 pm

Wild-Eyes wrote:James has a very good point. Technology has many, many advantages. As much as I'd love doing away with modern technology, the advantages can't be forgotten. I'd rather see world societies become less technologically dependant -- to retain the technology but to make it scarce and non-essential (a commodity, not a necessity).

my point exactly! :D it shouldn't be a necessity to live day to day. it should be a luxury, not taken for granted and over-used. people would appreciate it more and life would be a lot simpler. 8-)
Sun jian
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Iznoach, Legendary Dragon » Wed Jan 22, 2003 12:25 pm

Strategist Ju Bei wrote:Im not sure what I would think about this. I mean, yeah less technology would leave out guns and bombs and weapons of that sort. But also, what about our Medical technology, we have found many cures to all kinds of diseases, granted a number of ways to kill people as well, but without medical technology we would be dieing of diseases like small pox, the flu, and weak things that we have cures for. It seems no matter what part of technology you take, whether it be Medicine, Weaponry, Communications, Information, Transportation... You would have to take away a part of technology from the other sections, just because one type would influence another section, and it would then influence something else.

You know, I thought about the medical impact while formulating my response, and I don't really think it's a major factor. Why? Well, simply put, mother nature has a way of taking care of things, technology or not. It's called survival of the fittest. We all owe a death, that much is certain. If it's your time, it's your time and there's nothing much you can do about it. I have absolutely no problem with "better living through technology" (read: drugs :lol: ), but maybe we wouldn't have a lot of the overpopulation problems, and the illnesses that spring from it. I'm probably in the minority on this one though...
"Armed and dangerous, ain't too many can hang wit us
straight up weed no angel dust, label us Notorious..."--Biggie
Iznoach, Legendary Dragon
Gunslinger

Unread postby Sun jian » Wed Jan 22, 2003 12:26 pm

Wen Choung wrote:Technology that Cai Yan mentioned early on MUST exist. Tools such as the wheel and rope and such are needed to give us at least ONE survival tactic. I mean animals have claws, killer teeth, strong muscles, speed, everything! Humans only have the ability to reason! ONLY! So humans must use that reason to the best of their ability.

But technology such as computers and cars and toasters...mmm toasters...are a bit different. It's all about our experience. We've felt how good it is to be able to eat food without going out to look for it. We want to keep that feeling. But if we've been hunting all our lives and everyone else does the same and we've never known the feeling of NOT hunting, then who would care? We'd go hunting just the same.

The experience of technology "ruins" us in making us lazy. But being the lazy person I am, I'm all for technology! :lol:

yes, and that laziness will only get worse. people will just not move from a computer screen. :shock: what kind of life is that? a life where people don't even need to walk outside to go anywhere. a life where everything is taken for granted. a life of crowded places and lazy people. 8-) who really wants that; i don't.
Sun jian
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Current Affairs