What does it mean to be American?

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Unread postby James » Wed Jan 01, 2003 3:03 am

Kid- wrote:I most americans i meet but still they should accept that somethings in history they have done VERY WRONG.

Those who are properly educated about international affairs know quite well that we have committed international crime in the past. No other nation is an exception though, welcome to humanity.

Kid- wrote:Selling weapons to indonesia or some countries so they could kill tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands of people who just learned that they are apart of indonesia.

Freedom vs. Equality in the Current Affairs forum, read it.
That was a huge screw up, but not everything involved is so simple.
The US is now attempting to right the wrong, it is the best they can do. I still cannot believe how many nations were in on that.

Kid- wrote:And at the UN, only USA disagreed to helping the country, therefore the poor people could not be helped.

The finger gets pointed at more than just the US, trust me. I posted a huge wad of links in Freedom vs. Equality.

Kid- wrote:You know what for... All these deaths for Oil. ...

It is not all about oil.

Kid- wrote:The bombing of hiroshima and Nagasaki...
The japanese bmbed the ships of USA. The Navy.
Usa attacked the innocent people of Japan.

You are comparing apples and oranges. Japan attacked Perl Harbor out of the blue as a strategic part of their war. They felt they could destroy the US if they took the first step. The US was faced with attacking Japan because Japan was assisting the Nazis. Furthermore, those atomic bombs only took a small amount of life compared to what would have happened if there was a land invasion. Even just one of the European firebombings killed more than the atomic bombs combined. If you want to debate it, go to “The Atomic Bomb: Was it Necessary?” (or something to that effect) in Current Affairs.

Kid- wrote:I agree.
There was an university student who was saying.
DONT SEND OUR GRANDFATHERS AND GRANDMOTHERS (might be mothers and fathers) TO THAT FRIDGE! (Meaning Canada). Most americans i met dont know anything about Canada.

Haha, okay. Don’t even try to use the “some I met who was related to a person who knew a person once said” argument. Some of the crap that comes out of random people is hardly worth quoting, especially when you are making comparison to a whole nation.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Xiao Gui » Sat Jan 04, 2003 9:56 pm

US fascinates me. Its entire existence is a huge paradox being the best and yet the worst in absolutely everything.
US citizens are warm blooded, passionate, intelligent, and open minded just like everyone else in this world. The rest of the world, especially Middle East, might think all US citizens are pure evil sent from hell to make their life miserable, but nothing is that black and white like the protagonist and the antagonist in action movies (I watched too much Gundam). Nobody in their right mind would want to blow up millions of innocent people or create the weapons to do so. However, greed for money and power of few prevents the good will and hearts of the wonderful US citizens from bring happiness to everyone in the world.

Only if the US citizens know just a tiny fraction of what the US government is doing to its OWN people and the world, can the world be a better place. (The monopolization of media information and media who are more interested in profits than the enlightenment of its audience are one of the primary sources of this problem.) This is the paradox of US.
Let’s ignore US’s notorious international policy for now:
US is number one in millionaires, number one in billionaires, and number one in becoming the first society in history in which the poorest group in the population are children.
US is (or used to be) number one advocate in human rights and basic freedom, and is number one in the number of international human rights treaties no signed.
US is the most famous advocate for civic freedom and rights in human history (American revolution and civil war), is (used to be) number one advocate for the rights of children to life and basic needs, is number one among countries in UN with a legally constituted government to not ratify the UN convention on the Rights of the Child, is number on in number of known executions of children offenders, and number one defiance to UN human rights agreements resulting in the UN removing US from its Human Rights Commission (thanks to Bush).
US citizens recycle, hug trees, and worry about global warming and depleting ozone layer. US is number one in per capita energy use, number one in carbon dioxide emissions (more than Australia, Brazil, Canada, France, India, Indonesia, Germany, Italy, Mexico, and UK combined,) number one in total and per capital municipal waste, number one in hazardous waste produced, number one in oil consumption, and number one in natural gas consumption.
US is one of the richest nation on earth and has great living standards. US is also number one in the least amount of tax revenue generated, the least amount of federal and state government expenditure (as a percentage of GDP), number one in budget deficit (as a percentage of GDP)
Well, I prefer US over Iraq.
"...pia fraus, the heritage of all those who have 'improved' mankind....ever doubted their right to tell lies. Nor did the doubt their posession of other rights..."
Xiao Gui
Cannibalistic Kitten

Unread postby Iznoach, Legendary Dragon » Sun Jan 05, 2003 8:49 am

Xiao Gui wrote:Only if the US citizens know just a tiny fraction of what the US government is doing to its OWN people and the world, can the world be a better place. (The monopolization of media information and media who are more interested in profits than the enlightenment of its audience are one of the primary sources of this problem.) This is the paradox of US.
Let’s ignore US’s notorious international policy for now:
US is number one in millionaires, number one in billionaires, and number one in becoming the first society in history in which the poorest group in the population are children.
US is (or used to be) number one advocate in human rights and basic freedom, and is number one in the number of international human rights treaties no signed.
US is the most famous advocate for civic freedom and rights in human history (American revolution and civil war), is (used to be) number one advocate for the rights of children to life and basic needs, is number one among countries in UN with a legally constituted government to not ratify the UN convention on the Rights of the Child, is number on in number of known executions of children offenders, and number one defiance to UN human rights agreements resulting in the UN removing US from its Human Rights Commission (thanks to Bush).
US citizens recycle, hug trees, and worry about global warming and depleting ozone layer. US is number one in per capita energy use, number one in carbon dioxide emissions (more than Australia, Brazil, Canada, France, India, Indonesia, Germany, Italy, Mexico, and UK combined,) number one in total and per capital municipal waste, number one in hazardous waste produced, number one in oil consumption, and number one in natural gas consumption.
US is one of the richest nation on earth and has great living standards. US is also number one in the least amount of tax revenue generated, the least amount of federal and state government expenditure (as a percentage of GDP), number one in budget deficit (as a percentage of GDP)
Well, I prefer US over Iraq.

You forgot to mention that the U.S. has the 4th largest population in the world, behind only China, India, and Russia. I think it's fair to say that we are far more of a developed nation than those three, which would explain an aweful lot of the energy consumption.
"Armed and dangerous, ain't too many can hang wit us
straight up weed no angel dust, label us Notorious..."--Biggie
Iznoach, Legendary Dragon
Gunslinger

Unread postby James » Sun Jan 05, 2003 11:02 am

Xiao Gui wrote:US citizens recycle, hug trees, and worry about global warming and depleting ozone layer. US is number one in per capita energy use, number one in carbon dioxide emissions (more than Australia, Brazil, Canada, France, India, Indonesia, Germany, Italy, Mexico, and UK combined,) number one in total and per capital municipal waste, number one in hazardous waste produced, number one in oil consumption, and number one in natural gas consumption.

Not only does the United States have a very large population, we are also the most industrialized nation on earth. Stats of this nature must not be considered on a nation-by-nation basis, but rather by how much the average person in those nations uses on their own. Even that said, the fact that we are the most industrialized nation means that numbers resulting from this, if horrible, have a visible cause.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Xiao Gui » Sun Jan 05, 2003 11:56 pm

Iznoach wrote:You forgot to mention that the U.S. has the 4th largest population in the world, behind only China, India, and Russia. I think it's fair to say that we are far more of a developed nation than those three, which would explain an aweful lot of the energy consumption.

I don't think US has more population than all Australia, Brazil, Canada, France, India, Indonesia, Germany, Italy, Mexico, and UK combined. However, it produces more CO2 than those countries combined
"...pia fraus, the heritage of all those who have 'improved' mankind....ever doubted their right to tell lies. Nor did the doubt their posession of other rights..."
Xiao Gui
Cannibalistic Kitten

Unread postby Xiao Gui » Mon Jan 06, 2003 12:01 am

James wrote:Not only does the United States have a very large population, we are also the most industrialized nation on earth. Stats of this nature must not be considered on a nation-by-nation basis, but rather by how much the average person in those nations uses on their own. Even that said, the fact that we are the most industrialized nation means that numbers resulting from this, if horrible, have a visible cause.

it is by per capita and percent of GPD
or you can do the math yourself:
US pollution divided by US population
then compare it with that of other big industrial nations: Germany, Canada, Maxico (maybe), and China.

Note: hey, don't give me wrong. I don't have anything against American's, but I do believe they deserves better than what they have now, and they should stand up be make the government be accountable for its actions.
Xiao Gui
Cannibalistic Kitten

Unread postby Justin » Mon Jan 06, 2003 1:04 am

World’s Largest Countries in 2002

Rank Country Population (millions)
1 China 1,281
2 India 1,050
3 United States 287
4 Indonesia 217
5 Brazil 174
6 Russia 144
7 Pakistan 144
8 Bangladesh 134
9 Nigeria 130
10 Japan 127
11 Mexico 102
12 Germany 82
13 Philippines 80
14 Vietnam 80
15 Egypt 71

The US is the most industrialised nation on earth, which is why I believe we have such a high standard of living.
My Website

My Blog

The Dungeon

Trouble maker extraordinaire!
Justin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xiao Gui » Mon Jan 06, 2003 1:22 am

Wan Hung Lo wrote:The US is the most industrialised nation on earth, which is why I believe we have such a high standard of living.

US does have one of the lower standard of living comparing to other industrialized countries. *please refers to stats in Freedom or Equality*
We can sure compare US to China and India and for sure we will find that US is much better is soo many ways. But how many more countries can we compare before we finding ourselves in shame?
Xiao Gui
Cannibalistic Kitten

Unread postby Justin » Mon Jan 06, 2003 2:07 am

Xiao Gui wrote:
Wan Hung Lo wrote:The US is the most industrialised nation on earth, which is why I believe we have such a high standard of living.

US does have one of the lower standard of living comparing to other industrialized countries. *please refers to stats in Freedom or Equality*
We can sure compare US to China and India and for sure we will find that US is much better is soo many ways. But how many more countries can we compare before we finding ourselves in shame?

Sorry but everyone I know has a pretty good standard where I live. I think I have stated this before if you were giving away place tickets to anywhere in the wold most people would come the USA for it's high standards of living and great benefits. And it what way should be be shamed? I am free to pursue whatever dersires and pastimes I want here. How many countries can claim that? How many countries can claim the enormous amount of diveristy in food, culture, and ethnicity that the US has? Yes we have screwed up but no other country can ever throw stones because they aren't innocent themselves. Has China ever apologized for the whole Tibet incident? Nope and I don't think the Dali Lama is ever going to go back, at least in his current incarnation.
My Website

My Blog

The Dungeon

Trouble maker extraordinaire!
Justin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xiao Gui » Mon Jan 06, 2003 2:28 am

Wan Hung Lo wrote:Sorry but everyone I know has a pretty good standard where I live. I think I have stated this before if you were giving away place tickets to anywhere in the wold most people would come the USA for it's high standards of living and great benefits. And it what way should be be shamed?

OY!!! here is the stats I was talking about.

Jia Wenhe wrote:
Mercer's Survey wrote:
The aim of Mercer’s survey is to provide an objective, consistent, and comprehensive evaluation of the differences in quality of life in any two cities. The information is used by governments and major companies world-wide to determine appropriate allowances that reflect differences in the quality of life for personnel transferred abroad. The study is based on detailed assessments and evaluations of 39 key quality of life determinants, grouped in the following categories:

* Political and social environment (political stability, crime, law enforcement, etc)
* Economic environment (currency exchange regulations, banking services, etc)
* Socio-cultural environment (censorship, limitations on personal freedom, etc)
* Medical and health considerations (medical supplies and services, infectious diseases, sewage, waste disposal, air pollution, etc)
* Schools and education (standard of schools)
* Public services and transportation (electricity, water, public transport, traffic congestion, etc)
* Recreation (restaurants, theatres, cinemas, sports and leisure, etc)
* Consumer goods (availability of food/daily consumption items, cars, etc)
* Housing (housing, household appliances, furniture, maintenance services, etc)
* Natural environment (climate, record of natural disasters)

Now for the rankings:
1 ZURICH, Switzerland
2 VIENNA, Austria
3 VANCOUVER, Canada
4 SYDNEY, Australia
5. GENEVA, Switzerland
6. FRANKFURT, Germany
7. AUCKLAND, New Zealand
8. COPENHAGEN, Denmark

Screw it! Skipping ahead!!

Quote:

31. SEATTLE, United States

The only one of 2 cities in the continental US that rated in the top 40 for quality of life ratings based on the above outline.
I implore you Americans! Save yourselves!!

US citizens have more freedom than people in China. However, their lack of freedom is also notorious amongst other industrialized nations (and laughed at in Europe). *please refer to my first post in this topic*

I am free to pursue whatever dersires and pastimes I want here. How many countries can claim that? How many countries can claim the enormous amount of diveristy in food, culture, and ethnicity that the US has? Yes we have screwed up but no other country can ever throw stones because they aren't innocent themselves. Has China ever apologized for the whole Tibet incident? Nope and I don't think the Dali Lama is ever going to go back, at least in his current incarnation

Canada has everything US has and doesn’t have. My parents and I have chosen Canada over US for lower crime rate, friendlier people, cleaner environment and many more. Wild-Eye has also said if she can choose, she will move to Canada.
Note: Canada is not innocent either. (East Timor) I prefer Denmark instead.

Ethnocentrisms, lady and gentlemen, is a problem all of us have. After visiting Vancouver for two weeks, my grandfather declares that Taiwan is a better place than Canada, because Canada only dumps garbage per week (people living in apartment will automatically see the problem here) and there are no factories in the residential areas of Vancouver. I almost laughed at him. He really actually believed that people if given a choice would all move to Taiwan to live and North American white trash had brain washed everyone. Ha! Let’s send in the marines!! Let us see beyond the little world (bubble thing) we call America.
Xiao Gui
Cannibalistic Kitten

PreviousNext

Return to Current Affairs