What does it mean to be American?

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Unread postby Han Xin » Tue Dec 31, 2002 9:09 am

I saw some guy making a joke about American on Australian TV.

"One person ask, what does it mean to be an American?" then they insert a clip of Charltons Heston at the NRA conference saying "GUNZZZZZZZZ" :lol:
Han Xin's past-time - 沉湎於酒, 淫於聲色, 左手擁華姬,右手抱越女:lol:
Han Xin
Shu Emperor

Unread postby Kid- » Tue Dec 31, 2002 9:20 am

Americans are cocky, too proud and more.
Their econmic status is on going down fast like a waterfall. Their army is rather good, but not invincible. More people hate US then the people who love US.
Kid-
I have the power give, but have no power to take.
Check what you are doing, before you do it
Kid-
Initiate

Unread postby James » Tue Dec 31, 2002 11:56 am

Kid- wrote:Their econmic status is on going down fast like a waterfall. More people hate US then the people who love US.

Actually, the first point I disagree with, and the second point I would be unsure of. There are foreigners that may not like all of our policies, but the majority does not hate us.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Kid- » Tue Dec 31, 2002 5:08 pm

This may be untrue but this is what i think

The Two Main Countries Who Hate USA

China doesnt like USA. They only like the trading going on in their country.

OK thats about 1.3 billion people

Iraq hates USA and you know why.
23million people

Canadian Citizens They dont really like the american's attitude and more.

Some middle eastern countries Muslim. Iraq's neighbors. The rest you might know.

And also when i meant econmic status goiing down like a waterfalll is when the war starts.
Kid-
Kid-
Initiate

Unread postby Jimayo » Tue Dec 31, 2002 5:28 pm

I've never met a canadian who didn't despise americans(and I am canadian).
98% of the internet population has a Myspace. If you're part of the 2% that isn't an emo bastard, copy and paste this into your sig.
Jimayo
Lord of the Thirteen Hells

Location: Nothingness. And that's where I'll be returning in oh, about 15 minutes.

Unread postby Kid- » Tue Dec 31, 2002 5:45 pm

Well... I got plenty of friends who does doesnt like (Not dispise its too strong a word) Americans. I know a few others, but when i meant by Small ones i meant some people not all.
Kid-
Kid-
Initiate

Unread postby Zhou Gongjin » Tue Dec 31, 2002 7:10 pm

I once had a discussion with an American about the bombing of Hiroshima. Though I know perfectly well that the Japanese were anything but innocent in the war, the excuse of "retalliating for one atrocity with another" doesn't go well with me. At one point he said something to the effect of, "the US was the most powerful nation and it had the right to fully retaliate on japan." I don't believe causing so many deaths of innocent people was in their right, even if they did win the war.
He was totally mad at me for "sticking up for the nazis" but I call it sticking up for all the people who died without having a chance to defend themselves.
Now, I'm fine with discussing WWII, but not when every pro humanity arguement is seen as some kind of attack on the US, and that resulting in being some kind of Nazi.
I know a lot of Americans are very keen on defending their country in a debate, but it's things like this that make me mad, because being aggresive when defending your country this way will only make people think less of the country you stand for.
All in all, I like most Americans that I met, some of them are actually quite intelligent. ^_~
He who exercises government by means of his virtue may be compared to the north polar star, which keeps its place and all the stars turn towards it.
-孔夫子
Zhou Gongjin
鋼のチビ

Unread postby Kid- » Tue Dec 31, 2002 7:24 pm

I most americans i meet but still they should accept that somethings in history they have done VERY WRONG.

Selling weapons to indonesia or some countries so they could kill tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands of people who just learned that they are apart of indonesia.

And at the UN, only USA disagreed to helping the country, therefore the poor people could not be helped.

You know what for... All these deaths for Oil. Maybe one person in these deaths could have been another thomas edison or a Einstein and found a way to replace feul...

The bombing of hiroshima and Nagasaki...
The japanese bombed the ships of USA. The Navy.

Usa attacked the innocent people of Japan.
Kid-
Kid-
Initiate

Unread postby Rhiannon » Wed Jan 01, 2003 1:22 am

I'm not proud to be an American, but I'm not despising of this place either. I realize that the US is a pretty darned good country, and I do give a nod to that. However, as free and pretty as we all are, I think our Freedom is a bad cover up for all the thousands of unsolved problems we have, especially our declining education system.

If I had the choice, I probably will move to Canada, or maybe somewhere in Europe (UK? I dunno honestly). Japan would be nice too, but I'm not sure. Mainly because I have a huge disagreement with the governmental system here, and because I'm terrified of what I personally see the US turning into in the future. Nice as the liberties are here, I kinda just want the hell out.

I don't like "America". That doesn't mean I'm anti-American. I'd love to see this place change, and I do voice my opinions out to those who matter, and I vote. I'm an American: it doesn't make my chest swell with pride, but I don't hunch up and sigh either. It's the accident of my birth, and it's a pretty good accident. I just don't feel it's the place for me, unless something radically changes.

I have no problem with a little arrogance; every country I think has its own arrogance even if they know they're nothing compared to the US. It's ignorance and the growing loss of individuality and responsibility that really concerns me about this nation, because I feel that we Americans are far, far too accepting of what happens with our government. "Oh, well, we elected him, nothing we can do until a new election comes along", and "Well, my vote doesn't really count much anyway," and "Yeah, he's my representative but he won't really listen, dirty politician will play his own game" are the burdens we carry on our shoulders. We don't do anything because we don't percieve ourselves as having the power to.

As for other countries not liking us...it's the same kind of ignorance we give them, honestly. People who go "Bah, stupid Americans are all war mongering, money hungry, idiots" usually have no idea what the real inside of the country is like, who the real people of America are. It's a cultural stereotype they put on us because that's all they know from their sources; and I won't deny that a lot of that stereotype speaks truly, but it isn't what an American is.
"For us to have self-esteem is truly an act of revolution and our revolution is long overdue."
— Margaret Cho
Rhiannon
Joy & Oblivion
Joy & Oblivion

Unread postby Kid- » Wed Jan 01, 2003 1:49 am

I agree.

There was an university student who was saying.

DONT SEND OUR GRANDFATHERS AND GRANDMOTHERS (might be mothers and fathers) TO THAT FRIDGE! (Meaning Canada). Most americans i met dont know anything about Canada.
Kid-
Kid-
Initiate

PreviousNext

Return to Current Affairs