Human cloned.

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Do you think that cloning humans is ethical?

Yes.
30%
No.
35%
I am kinda torn...
35%

Total votes : 20

Unread postby Jonathan » Tue Dec 31, 2002 1:06 am

Taishi Ci wrote:Not all men are good people. If we learned to play God some one along the line would exploit it to thier advantage. It could be devastating if some one like Saddam Hussien or Osama Bin Laden were cloned could you imagine? We have hard enough a time killing just one.

well I think another clone of Bush might come around and shot them. 8-)
Also known as Zhuge Xuanshi
"The problem with the gene pool is, there's no lifeguard."
-Steven Wright
Jonathan
Censored
Censored

Unread postby Justin » Tue Dec 31, 2002 1:17 am

Cloning has the potential to rid the world of many ills. Lots and lots of diseases will go the way of the dodo. Organ donations will be a thing of the past. rare blood donations will no longer be needed. Right now I don't see a need for an entire human to be cloned but I am 100% for the pursuit of science in all forms. I do hope they were responsible and did not kill many fetuses in the process but we may never know that answer.

In my mind this brings up a big religious problem, if every person is supposed to have a unique spirit how does a clone fit it? They are genetically identical to their parent. Unless 1 spirit can be in 2 people which as far as I know it can't how does God fit into this equation?
My Website

My Blog

The Dungeon

Trouble maker extraordinaire!
Justin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Travis » Tue Dec 31, 2002 5:53 am

Wan Hung Lo wrote:In my mind this brings up a big religious problem, if every person is supposed to have a unique spirit how does a clone fit it? They are genetically identical to their parent. Unless 1 spirit can be in 2 people which as far as I know it can't how does God fit into this equation?

This will sound mean, but they won't have any souls.... This is another reason I don't like it. Man creating a creature from a test tube is souless a experiment, not a person. People were meant to be created a certain way, now humanity exploits God's generous gifts of technological advancements to play his role? You create a creature, and expect it to obey you... What happens when these things decide they don't won't to donate thier organs and simply kill the original persons and replace them. This doesn't disprove anything about the Christian Religion. What this is to Christianity is the tampering of something that shouldn't be messed with.
"Be on your Guard, Stand Firm in the Faith, Be Men of Courage, Be Strong, Do everything in Love" - Master Lee's School Motto-

Formerly Schwarz Bruder/Taishi Ci
Travis
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jonathan » Tue Dec 31, 2002 9:12 am

Okay I am not saying this to piss anyone off at all; I mean this as a genuine question. What proof is there that anybody has a soul? And if we do why wouldn’t someone who is cloned have one? After all if we were “playing god”, wouldn’t the same effect be cast down upon our creations?
Also known as Zhuge Xuanshi
"The problem with the gene pool is, there's no lifeguard."
-Steven Wright
Jonathan
Censored
Censored

Unread postby Ci Cao » Tue Dec 31, 2002 10:57 am

I don't belive it, and even if it's true, I don't think you want a looking-like-you-and-running-after-you-Spare-parts-depot!? That's what they want to use it for and that's not ethical.
Do you remember the sect wanted to clone Hitler some years (months?) ago - IMO, they are totally crazy...
But the largest question is: is it true?
They said, they used the same method as with the Clone-Sheep. Isn't it much more complicated to clone a human than a sheep (since you can't see what the sheep is thinking)?
Ci Cao
Academic

Unread postby Travis » Tue Dec 31, 2002 8:19 pm

Jonathan wrote:Okay I am not saying this to piss anyone off at all; I mean this as a genuine question. What proof is there that anybody has a soul? And if we do why wouldn’t someone who is cloned have one? After all if we were “playing god”, wouldn’t the same effect be cast down upon our creations?

Really there is no proof, you just have to have faith. Secondly, They will have no soul because only God can give you a Soul. We are not God no matter how hard we try to be him.
"Be on your Guard, Stand Firm in the Faith, Be Men of Courage, Be Strong, Do everything in Love" - Master Lee's School Motto-

Formerly Schwarz Bruder/Taishi Ci
Travis
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Cheng YU » Wed Jan 01, 2003 3:32 am

Clones...we can use them for wars, experiments, or slaves.

We can even eat them many years later i suppose since they'll not be considered our species. And we can eat anything now...

So is it ethical? That's a very tough question...thinking...thinking... :roll: ...still thinking'...thinkin' hard...too hard the cerebral fluids got spilled...can't think anymore...someone think for me
Cheng YU
Initiate

Unread postby James » Wed Jan 01, 2003 3:40 am

Taishi Ci wrote:Really there is no proof, you just have to have faith. Secondly, They will have no soul because only God can give you a Soul. We are not God no matter how hard we try to be him.

Although I believe we have a soul, I really cannot imagine why I would want to devote my faith to someone so reliant upon humanity. I think many of us feel that way.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Justin » Thu Jan 02, 2003 11:40 pm

Taishi Ci wrote:
Jonathan wrote:Okay I am not saying this to piss anyone off at all; I mean this as a genuine question. What proof is there that anybody has a soul? And if we do why wouldn’t someone who is cloned have one? After all if we were “playing god”, wouldn’t the same effect be cast down upon our creations?

Really there is no proof, you just have to have faith. Secondly, They will have no soul because only God can give you a Soul. We are not God no matter how hard we try to be him.

If they have no soul how can they live? According to the LDS faith a soul is required for life. How is this possible with a clone?
My Website

My Blog

The Dungeon

Trouble maker extraordinaire!
Justin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Thu Jan 02, 2003 11:48 pm

Wan Hung Lo wrote:If they have no soul how can they live? According to the LDS faith a soul is required for life. How is this possible with a clone?

Women are inseminated via cloned goods and then the child develops normally from that point. Science is just basically bypassing the man, but the rest is natural. It is perfectly conceivable that the clone has its own identity and soul, from that point of view, as the steps bypassed are before the child is actually alive.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

PreviousNext

Return to Current Affairs