Child Discipline?

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Is child discipline good for a child?

Yes
83%
No
8%
Other (please explain)
10%

Total votes : 40

Child Discipline?

Unread postby Jonathan » Tue Jun 25, 2002 7:31 pm

It has become next to impossible to discipline your child in the United States now, if you do you can be called abusive. I think discipline is important when a child is growing up, never to the extent of a closed fist. But, a paddle or a belt to the butt when he/she is out of line can help a child for their future. In the sense that they understand that there are times when they should not be "acting out".
Also known as Zhuge Xuanshi
"The problem with the gene pool is, there's no lifeguard."
-Steven Wright
Jonathan
Censored
Censored

Unread postby Zhou Gongjin » Tue Jun 25, 2002 8:04 pm

I think people blow things out of proportion, discipline is what kids need to understand right and wrong, you can argue with a kid all you want but they will be damned to see your point of view. Moderated discipline is healthy, however abusive parents need to get their butt to a counselor and stop their nonsense before they screw up their child's life.
He who exercises government by means of his virtue may be compared to the north polar star, which keeps its place and all the stars turn towards it.
-孔夫子
Zhou Gongjin
鋼のチビ

Unread postby Sun Ce » Tue Jun 25, 2002 9:46 pm

I think a child needs to fully understand the difference between proper discipline, and abuse. If he or she can seperate the two as the opposites they are, than the child should be able to fully understand why is getting what he is geting and for what reasons. I don't know if I agree with spanking a child. Not because I think it is wrong, but because of the affectiveness of it.
I think that song is the highest achievement of the living culture, don't you agree?
Sun Ce
Master

Unread postby Dennis » Tue Jun 25, 2002 10:25 pm

I do not believe in physically or emotionally disciplining a child.

I would do my best to be his/her best friend, and then win their trust, and hopefully manipulate their moral system. :)
Dennis
Mutha Canucka

Unread postby Sun Ce » Tue Jun 25, 2002 11:48 pm

It's not bad, kinda like an anime version of Magic the Gathering.

I would hate to force my own way of thinking on my child, especially when I am not happy with all the choices I make myself. You have to be able to hurt a childs feelings some, or nothing will get done. Even taking away their favorite toy would make them cry in pain~! =D
I think that song is the highest achievement of the living culture, don't you agree?
Sun Ce
Master

Unread postby Maria » Wed Jun 26, 2002 5:45 am

Define "Dicipline". If what you mean is spanking, smacking, and slapping, then it should be stopped.

If it's a healthy dicipline by restraining your kid to do this and that, but not with physical abuse, I'd go for it. That's how I was trained when I was a kid
Maria
Iron Duchess

Unread postby Sun Ce » Wed Jun 26, 2002 6:34 am

There is a little bit of a crowbar between discipline and abuse. ^^
Sun Ce
Master

Unread postby Iznoach, Legendary Dragon » Wed Jun 26, 2002 6:40 am

Discipline is not only good, most of the time it is necessary. The problem with disciplining children these days, is when parents take it too far, or do it for the wrong reasons. I'll give a quick example: a child breaks something, and normally a parent would tell the child to be more careful, and watch what they're doing. However on this occasion, the parent had a bad day and decides to beat the kid to "teach him a lesson". I think this is wrong, and counter-productive to positively raising children. Discipline should be fair, uniform, and never cross the line to becoming abuse.
"Armed and dangerous, ain't too many can hang wit us
straight up weed no angel dust, label us Notorious..."--Biggie
Iznoach, Legendary Dragon
Gunslinger

Unread postby Alucard » Thu Jun 27, 2002 11:15 am

im well discipline. everyday im being lacture and yelled at. when i was really young my dad whould send me outside on a cold day without jacket if i got intoany troubles. on hot days i get sent to the basment. the basement is always cold and theres lots of space so i swing around the spear :) . once hit elementry (only in class) and home i was pretty much dead quite. kind and polite. thats me now still.
Alucard
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: In a house where I open a door and another door appears.

Is it true?

Unread postby Mega Zarak » Thu Jul 25, 2002 8:06 am

How true issit that young parents usually follow their parents' style of disciplining if it works on them and vice versa??
Mega Zarak
Grand Tutor of Wei

Next

Return to Current Affairs