Hong Kong anti-extradition protests

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Hong Kong anti-extradition protests

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:29 pm

... Well, sort of. They're not really so much about the anti-extradition bill anymore.

I've got my own take on the protests and it's kind of politically-incorrect, but I was seeing some discussion on the Facebook before, and wanted to move some of it over here.

Crazedmongoose wrote:I know literally nobody wants to fucking hear this, but both the protesters and police in HK are incredibly mild and nonviolent by any standards of a protest this scale. The standard European protest or American cop is 10 times more violent than what we've seen in the past 10 weeks.

I think this take is mostly correct. The Gilets Jaunes protests in France have been far more violent on both sides, for example - there've been multiple deaths. For all the fears of a violent crackdown by the PLA in Hong Kong, I just can't see it happening. The optics would be terrible for the CCP, for one thing. Not that the abuse of Fu Guohao was a particularly good idea, but the protesters so far haven't been that violent either.

Also, Mrs WeiWenDi's take is that these are a bunch of bourgie kids whose primary motivation for going out to protest is essentially HK's loss of status and bragging rights in comparison to other cities in China, like Shanghai and Chongqing...
Some more blood, Chekov. The needle won't hurt, Chekov. Take off your shirt, Chekov. Roll over, Chekov. Breathe deeply, Chekov. Blood sample, Chekov! Marrow sample, Chekov! Skin sample, Chekov! If I live long enough... I'm going to run out of samples.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Re: Hong Kong anti-extradition protests

Unread postby Sun Fin » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:49 pm

I've been following it on the BBC, but as per our news channels I don't feel like I learn very much from it.

Other than the anti-extradition bill dying, rather than just being stood down, and demanding Carrie Lam's resignation what are their actual aims? I see talk of actual democracy, but that seems pretty unrealistic?

Also what is the demographic of the protesters? Is it mainly younger people?
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Re: Hong Kong anti-extradition protests

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:15 am

Hello WWD

Vaguely following it, press tends to sympathize with such protests in Hong Kong but feel like they have got slightly bored. I do wonder if the airport protests is a bad move, may work for a day or so but once it starts hitting the economy, that may cost support in Hong Kong. Does seem like both sides are at least very distrustful of each other at the moment, not sure how this will end
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Return to Current Affairs