Hong Kong anti-extradition protests

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Hong Kong anti-extradition protests

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:29 pm

... Well, sort of. They're not really so much about the anti-extradition bill anymore.

I've got my own take on the protests and it's kind of politically-incorrect, but I was seeing some discussion on the Facebook before, and wanted to move some of it over here.

Crazedmongoose wrote:I know literally nobody wants to fucking hear this, but both the protesters and police in HK are incredibly mild and nonviolent by any standards of a protest this scale. The standard European protest or American cop is 10 times more violent than what we've seen in the past 10 weeks.

I think this take is mostly correct. The Gilets Jaunes protests in France have been far more violent on both sides, for example - there've been multiple deaths. For all the fears of a violent crackdown by the PLA in Hong Kong, I just can't see it happening. The optics would be terrible for the CCP, for one thing. Not that the abuse of Fu Guohao was a particularly good idea, but the protesters so far haven't been that violent either.

Also, Mrs WeiWenDi's take is that these are a bunch of bourgie kids whose primary motivation for going out to protest is essentially HK's loss of status and bragging rights in comparison to other cities in China, like Shanghai and Chongqing...
Some more blood, Chekov. The needle won't hurt, Chekov. Take off your shirt, Chekov. Roll over, Chekov. Breathe deeply, Chekov. Blood sample, Chekov! Marrow sample, Chekov! Skin sample, Chekov! If I live long enough... I'm going to run out of samples.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Re: Hong Kong anti-extradition protests

Unread postby Sun Fin » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:49 pm

I've been following it on the BBC, but as per our news channels I don't feel like I learn very much from it.

Other than the anti-extradition bill dying, rather than just being stood down, and demanding Carrie Lam's resignation what are their actual aims? I see talk of actual democracy, but that seems pretty unrealistic?

Also what is the demographic of the protesters? Is it mainly younger people?
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:15 am

Hello WWD

Vaguely following it, press tends to sympathize with such protests in Hong Kong but feel like they have got slightly bored. I do wonder if the airport protests is a bad move, may work for a day or so but once it starts hitting the economy, that may cost support in Hong Kong. Does seem like both sides are at least very distrustful of each other at the moment, not sure how this will end
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby CaTigeReptile » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:36 am

To be fair, I don't think that Hong Kong wanting to keep its identity separate and its current political system untainted is petty. This is a really high-stakes fight on both sides, especially in terms of Face. The whole thing is bad optics for the CCP. The only way out is if they strike some kind of deal and have some handshakes without real concessions. But yeah, they absolutely cannot be violent - though honestly if they wanted to be violent, now would be the time, given the current situation in the United States and Britain, there would be nobody to stop them.

The reason why it's such a big deal is because Emperor Xi wants to actively bring HK back into the CCP fold, and in doing so he sparked this series of protests. He should have left well enough alone, because now if the CCP gives a single inch on HK politically, then the Mainland is going to be going "well if Hong Kong gets it, why don't we get it too?"

My uninformed opinion as I have not actually been keeping apprised of the news as of late (I can't handle it).
CaTigeReptile
Langzhong

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:40 am

CaTigeReptile wrote:The reason why it's such a big deal is because Emperor Xi wants to actively bring HK back into the CCP fold, and in doing so he sparked this series of protests.

The roots of the protests are in the Extradition Bill proposed by - and then withdrawn by - Carrie Lam. The raison d'être for this bill was the gruesome murder of Taiwanese college student Poon Hiu-wing by her psychopathic Hong Kong boyfriend Chan Tong-kai. There were almost certainly political motivations for the Taiwanese government to have demanded and then withdrawn the demand for extradition - which, owing to Cross-Straits diplomatic realities, had to be handled through Beijing.

This is one of the biggest reasons why I'm not too sympathetic to the protests. They're literally defending a self-confessed murderer from being extradited to Taiwan. They may have evolved into something much different, but that was the initial impetus for the protests. Big bad Beijing doesn't have much at all to do with that situation; even if they did suggest the extradition bill to Lam's government as an expedient way to resolve the legal side of the situation, the political responsibility seems to have been on Lam herself.
Some more blood, Chekov. The needle won't hurt, Chekov. Take off your shirt, Chekov. Roll over, Chekov. Breathe deeply, Chekov. Blood sample, Chekov! Marrow sample, Chekov! Skin sample, Chekov! If I live long enough... I'm going to run out of samples.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Unread postby Ranbir » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:11 pm

Sadly it doesn't really matter now. Ever since a perfectly acceptable ruling happened on an e-sport cast (not to be used for hijacking a political platform) the dumb video gamers have viralled the hell out of this and it's now snowballed in to a vaguer issue which makes it easier for Capitol Hill to virtue signal.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:35 pm

WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:42 pm

"How to ensure complete loss of support for your chaos in a few days"

Seems really really unwise by the protesters, media may have lost focus n the west but ensuring their return by handing China "look how violent they are" lines seems self defeating
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:46 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:

"How to ensure complete loss of support for your chaos in a few days"

Seems really really unwise by the protesters, media may have lost focus n the west but ensuring their return by handing China "look how violent they are" lines seems self defeating

Yup, they got that 'Lose Friends and Alienate People' magic down pat right about now. Shame that they're backed by pretty much our entire state apparatus, thus assuring them of funds and materiel pretty much indefinitely despite how much damage they do.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:39 am

Wonder what the results of the council elections will mean for the tacitc of both sides and if Carrie Lam might be replaced
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Return to Current Affairs