2020 US Presidential Election Speculation

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Re: 2020 US Presidential Election Speculation

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:36 am

If not the US government Jia Nanfeng, who should bring in healthcare (including mental healthcare) for the US and what form do you think would work best? Just curious, if not the government (of either side), who can bring in reforms needed
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:21 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:If not the US government Jia Nanfeng, who should bring in healthcare (including mental healthcare) for the US and what form do you think would work best? Just curious, if not the government (of either side), who can bring in reforms needed

I complain about it but I don’t have an answer for it.

There would need to be a drastic rewrite to how Medicare works and I don’t trust either side to do it correctly. For instance, Medicare For All, as currently written, would cover only 80% of expenses (for covered services, which is dwindling every year), so that’s why many democrats have said they’d keep private insurance around too. They say it’s so we have the “freedom of choice” but in reality it’s because we need them to help pay the remaining 20%.

I think we need to get rid of private insurance altogether and make Medicare a true single-payer system for everyone. I ignore the complaints about it being expensive (which if course it would be) because healthcare is already ridiculously expensive; assuming the government doesn’t take the opportunity to inflate costs and thus the associated taxes, I assume it’d come out to be equal or less than what citizens now pay for premiums & deductibles & out of pocket expenses combined.

And then there’s the whole issue of every democrat candidate saying they’d give free healthcare to illegals. It’s like they’re trying to crash the system on purpose.

Republicans aren’t even in the discussion. They’d never come close to writing a single-payer plan.

So who will do it? I don’t know. I’m very pessimistic about the issue. :?
Jia Nanfeng
Sage

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:18 am

The Hunt has been pulled, can we have it outside the US?

Yall aren't wrong in your assumption about how a large portion of Americans view the gun control issue (read: they'd like it not to even be called a gun control issue at all). They will do anything to avoid talking about gun control. Why? Because many Americans worship the 2nd amendment, gun ownership (for a variety of reasons) is embedded in our culture, and they will undertake nearly any logical gymnastics necessary to not abridge a right they believe to be unalienable and promised. If you want my advice, many of the talking heads (and many Americans in general) who speak of addressing mental health to address gun control simply do not care. They have their bloodpact (lives for uncontrolled private gun ownership), and they will continue sending kids to school with flak-jackets stuffed full of prayers/well wishes and arguments about arming the lunch ladies/men because that's extent of their useful ideas.

I wouldn't quite go as far, but only a bit, but I suspect what I feel about NRA and the like is a situation of "you could say that, I couldn't possibly comment

Jia Nanfeng wrote:I complain about it but I don’t have an answer for it.

There would need to be a drastic rewrite to how Medicare works and I don’t trust either side to do it correctly. For instance, Medicare For All, as currently written, would cover only 80% of expenses (for covered services, which is dwindling every year), so that’s why many democrats have said they’d keep private insurance around too. They say it’s so we have the “freedom of choice” but in reality it’s because we need them to help pay the remaining 20%.

I think we need to get rid of private insurance altogether and make Medicare a true single-payer system for everyone. I ignore the complaints about it being expensive (which if course it would be) because healthcare is already ridiculously expensive; assuming the government doesn’t take the opportunity to inflate costs and thus the associated taxes, I assume it’d come out to be equal or less than what citizens now pay for premiums & deductibles & out of pocket expenses combined.

And then there’s the whole issue of every democrat candidate saying they’d give free healthcare to illegals. It’s like they’re trying to crash the system on purpose.

Republicans aren’t even in the discussion. They’d never come close to writing a single-payer plan.

So who will do it? I don’t know. I’m very pessimistic about the issue. :?

Edit: Pressed submit too early

That is a sad read if I'm honest. I don't think even the most anti-US person in Europe wouldn't want US to solve their healthcare issue, it would benefit us (it would also benefit big pharma I suspect long term if they cooperated), it saddens the heart. I hope it gets solved, however flawed a system comes up, it gets solved so all can access medical care

Thanks for the honesty
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:01 pm

I imagine Trump feels he can use economic muscle, money and threats to get Denmark to sell Greenland but is he going to allow Greenland a referendum on if they wish to join the US?
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Sakae Wu » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:42 am

Dong Zhou wrote:I imagine Trump feels he can use economic muscle, money and threats to get Denmark to sell Greenland but is he going to allow Greenland a referendum on if they wish to join the US?

They've already answered with a "not for sale".
I'm sure they can google the U.S. health care system and be unimpressed like the rest of us.

And they have a higher literacy rate.
The only "plus" is easy access to assault rifles.

@ Jia Nanfeng~ I don't agree with some of your views, but admire your candor and appreciate your background. Medicare needs a drastic change for our futures sake, and I also wish I had a solution.
I think we need to be eventually identified as a human being first, a citizen second, and our party affiliation somewhere down the line. There is very little that's "United" about the U.S. of A.
"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." -Confucius
Sakae Wu
Academic

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:38 am

Sakae Wu wrote:
Dong Zhou wrote:I imagine Trump feels he can use economic muscle, money and threats to get Denmark to sell Greenland but is he going to allow Greenland a referendum on if they wish to join the US?

They've already answered with a "not for sale".
I'm sure they can google the U.S. health care system and be unimpressed like the rest of us.

And they have a higher literacy rate.
The only "plus" is easy access to assault rifles.

I still want Trump to go ahead with referendum, just to see Trump's reaction to likely result.

US wanting Greenland makes sense given the strategic positioning, it's heavy supply of minerals and rare metals, that buying land has worked in the past (if rarer nowadays), it costs Denmark a fair bit and Greenland citizens as I understand it aren't too pleased with being under Denmark. If done with care and tact, just maybe US could have pulled this off in long term.

Trump gave a lesson in how to ensure a deal never happens by way he blundered into this, trying to bully Denmark by suggesting they owe the US and not giving Greenland citizens any concern at all. Reaction has been a big go away and Trump cancelling state visit while this cools down. US does have a difficult sell as you mentioned Sakae Wu, Denmark is (off the top of my head) a high tax high welfare country, not sure how one sells US low tax and low welfare (with a healthcare system viewed with absolute horror) as a better alternative

Whatever the case US has to persuade Greenland to go down such a different path, Trump is perhaps the extremely wrong person to make any such to any country in Western Europe.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby ky9ersfan » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:28 pm

I haven't really read up much on the healthcare debate, but I would side with the Medicare For All Plan. That doesn't include those advanced insurance plans, that are too expensive. But just the basics, that cover a wide range of healthcare issues, and basic features. We are more productive as a society, if we are given preventive services, before a medical health crisis occurs. People are generally more productive, and well off if they feel good, and are better able to do their part to contribute back to society. And besides that quality healthcare should be a birthright as an American. If other lesser nations can do it, then we as Americans(world leaders) have an obligation to follow that example aswell.
ky9ersfan
Student

Previous

Return to Current Affairs