2020 US Presidential Election Speculation

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Re: 2020 US Presidential Election Speculation

Unread postby Lord Yang Jiahua » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:14 am

Ah, finally some political discussion, I'll throw a short two cents in here.

The "Send Them Back" or whatever it was Trump was doing, yeah, its blatantly racist, oh yeah, most definitely, that nobody was smart enough point out that, hey aren't you of Dutch Ancestry Mr Trump? so why don't we send you back to Holland?

Trumps just a very obvious much less educated Nixon. Generalized Race Baiting, Vague Promises, Law and Order Republican lines, can't really do anything/ does not have an ounce of the political skill Nixon had at negotiating.

The Political Game of U.S Politics though, hasn't changed, if that the Republicans mess up the Economy, and get you into wars, and Democrats ideas are needed to bail us out.
Its generalities also include, Promise them Some kind of Handout, (We'll Pay for all Your Student Loans- Bernie) and they'll vote for you, Pull The Nostalgia bell, ( Factory towns and Econ Promises ) and they'll vote for you, among other things.

Ill try to respond to each argument tomorrow, as its quite late over here.
"We Will Show Wu The Meaning of Fear!"-Cao Cao in DW6
"Politicians Are all the same all over, They Promise to build a bridge even when theres no river"-Nikita Khrushchev
Lord Yang Jiahua
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jordan » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:01 am

Democrats are just a greedy party of corrupt Wall Street peddlers. They don't have good ideas. They take the same bribe money as the Republicans and do a whole lot of absolutely nothing while Trump runs roughshod over everything. They're a paid to lose party. Pelosi is the worst political leader I have ever seen in my entire life.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lord Yang Jiahua » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:25 pm

Jordan wrote:Democrats are just a greedy party of corrupt Wall Street peddlers. They don't have good ideas. They take the same bribe money as the Republicans and do a whole lot of absolutely nothing while Trump runs roughshod over everything. They're a paid to lose party. Pelosi is the worst political leader I have ever seen in my entire life.

A bit broad, but yeah that's about right, as Gore Vidal basically wrote, there are two wings of the Property party, or there are two Rights in America, Republicans are more doctrinaire, Democrats are prettier if slightly more corrupt.

She's my elected Rep representing my constituency, so I have to disagree with that generalization of Pelosi, she knows the game, knows what works and what doesn't, its much nicer than Cortez' gross naivety, she knows a gamble like Impeachment wouldn't work and would hurt the party if it fails.

That being said, what has she really Done, as it were, i really can't think of anything so yeah she certainly isn't the best.

Obamacare was basically an agreement to massively subsidize the Health Insurance Industry so that they would lower their prices and offer more services, At least In Basic Economic terms. That it got out of control is both Parties faults because in reality it looks like a Bribe to a huge sector( 1/5 ) of the American Economy, and wasn't enforced well, to the point where lots of places had only one provider, and states were allowed to back out despite what their people may have thought. Not even close to Universal Coverage or State Healthcare, just the best Capitalist alternative that makes sure it lines the pockets of the rich so that they'll go along with it.

This, and the basic inhumanity of the previous system of Healthcare (which still goes on in spots) is why it can't really be gotten rid of, though Republicans seem to think the old system was better, as evidenced by their repeal attempts. A good example of what was "Done" as it were.
"Politicians Are all the same all over, They Promise to build a bridge even when theres no river"-Nikita Khrushchev
Lord Yang Jiahua
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:02 am

Tulsi Gabbard is suing Google for $50 million, because they disabled her ads after June’s Democrat debate despite her being the most searched-for candidate.

Google of course blames the algorithms. If this was intentional election interference, which wouldn’t surprise me, I hope the suit helps expose such activity.

Source article
Jia Nanfeng
Sage

Unread postby Lord Yang Jiahua » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:45 pm

A number of articles are starting to appear defending Trump after the 3 mass shootings here in America. Newsweek and the other trashy publications among others.

As much as you can blame the President, this is an old cop out of American Politics, Trump might have a lot more to do with the situation, but its still a stretch to do an A+B = C causation, unless we were to find say, some written evidence from these shooters effects proving his words inspired them.

Im glad Beto O'Rourke ran right home after the one that happened in El Paso, would have been an amazing gaff if he didnt.

Calls for a Domestic Terrorism Statute among other things, necessary sure, will make the problem go away, No.

I honestly have no idea whats the Real reason behind these shootings, i mean the really for real reason, the media always portrays the shooters as total Lunatics, Radicals or in the case of the Nightclub in Orlando, a Foreign Radical. Yes the writings and affiliations of the people who commit these acts tend to bear out the above narrative, but its all too easy, and is a very relieving narrative constantly spun to the American Public in order to keep everyone calm. In this way, except for this recent spate, and the communities directly effected, everytime one of these things happen, by about a week or 2 later people seem to forget about it, because "some crazy person did it". Sure some crazy person did do it, but there's gotta be a better way to make Americans more aware of the problem and prevent it than how things are done now.
Lord Yang Jiahua
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:56 am

I don't think Trump's behaviour helps in terms of creating mindsets and moods that risk encouraging people and he doesn't seem to have handled the aftermath well.

Seeing the same old (bar the anger and heat of divided modern day politics) one always does, some scapegoat explanations (I would have thought video games would have been replaced by something else), a focus on mental health. There is disbelief here at the arrogance of some Americans who seem to think video games and mental health problems are unique to America but we don't seem to have any faith the US (under any leader) will take real action to stop the massacres.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:50 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:There is disbelief here at the arrogance of some Americans who seem to think video games and mental health problems are unique to America

It’s not that we think mental health issues are unique to America. It’s that mental healthcare is much more underfunded, much more undervalued, and much more inaccessible here compared to most other developed countries.

I’ve worked in mental health for years and currently run one of the partial psychiatric units at a hospital, which is just under inpatient-level care — every year the amount of patients we’re “allowed” to treat decreases; like most hospitals we follow Medicare guidelines to a T, because they are the strictest — and every year Medicare guidelines get more strict.

For instance, guess which mental illness my unit is no longer allowed to treat as of a few months ago because Medicare decided it will no longer reimburse our work related to it?

PTSD. Which is one of the illnesses we see the most. Which means that the hospital, which already operates at a loss for mental healthcare, tells us to not treat PTSD unless it’s comorbid to something that is covered.

That’s just one example of many. Other illnesses we are encouraged not to treat: general anxiety disorder, social anxiety disorder, gender dysphoria, post-loss grief... hell, we’ve had patients who have attempted suicide and Medicare has told us their case isn’t acute enough for our level of care and that they need something less.

So we have to either treat them at a loss (which isn’t sustainable), or we have to refer them to a lower level of care where they aren’t guaranteed to get what they need. There’s no other option unless we commit them but that is almost certainly at a loss unless they’re psychotic or homicidal.

Mental healthcare in America is pathetic and it’s getting worse in a lot of ways. And the idea that “Medicare for all” will fix everything, as democrats seem to think, is absolutely laughable, unless they drastically rewrite the rules.
Jia Nanfeng
Sage

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:54 pm

I'm not saying USA doesn't have major mental healthcare issues but your hardly alone, my country and I suspect others has been guilty of neglecting mental health and now finds a huge challenge ahead of them trying to find the funding and other resources needed.

The other countries don't have the regular mass shootings despite that. USA should 100% discuss mental health and look at what needs to be done (and it sounds horrific there) but it won't solve the gun shooting problems. Right now, USA comes across as "if we solve mental health, we solve these shootings." "If we curb video games, we stop the shootings." as if the other countries, where mass shootings are a rare shock rather then an annual one, don't have these same issues.

That is where the despair and sense of arrogance comes in.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:19 pm

Lord Yang Jiahua wrote:A number of articles are starting to appear defending Trump after the 3 mass shootings here in America. Newsweek and the other trashy publications among others.

As much as you can blame the President, this is an old cop out of American Politics, Trump might have a lot more to do with the situation, but its still a stretch to do an A+B = C causation, unless we were to find say, some written evidence from these shooters effects proving his words inspired them.

Most of the discussion regarding Trump's participation regarding the rise in hate crimes is not entirely a simple A+B=C situation. It is much more of a connection and seemingly tacit approval for utilizing violence against those considered undesirable to his base. I think people are living in lala land if they do not believe the words of elected officials pandering to their base constituency, social influencers, or media conglomerates don't have often real world impacts on people.

the media always portrays the shooters as total Lunatics, Radicals or in the case of the Nightclub in Orlando, a Foreign Radical. Yes the writings and affiliations of the people who commit these acts tend to bear out the above narrative, but its all too easy, and is a very relieving narrative constantly spun to the American Public in order to keep everyone calm. In this way, except for this recent spate, and the communities directly effected, everytime one of these things happen, by about a week or 2 later people seem to forget about it, because "some crazy person did it". Sure some crazy person did do it, but there's gotta be a better way to make Americans more aware of the problem and prevent it than how things are done now.

Lets be more clear here, the 'crazy person' or 'lone wolf' title usually is ascribed to white perpetrators. Otherwise they look for connections to international terrorism.

Seeing the same old (bar the anger and heat of divided modern day politics) one always does, some scapegoat explanations (I would have thought video games would have been replaced by something else), a focus on mental health. There is disbelief here at the arrogance of some Americans who seem to think video games and mental health problems are unique to America but we don't seem to have any faith the US (under any leader) will take real action to stop the massacres.

Nor should yall. The talking heads have resurrected the ol' video game trope and are back to well with the discussions of mental health, but I can't remember when I've seem much of any legislation (at least meaningful) aimed at addressing mental health and guns.

Jia Nanfeng wrote:It’s not that we think mental health issues are unique to America. It’s that mental healthcare is much more underfunded, much more undervalued, and much more inaccessible here compared to most other developed countries.

Mental healthcare in America is pathetic and it’s getting worse in a lot of ways.

As someone who also works in connection with federally funded healthcare, I concur with this sentiment. And I think, and I think we'd all like to agree, that mental health should be a bipartisan issue. That said, the talking points for 'mental health' often are not substantive, and serve as red herrings in order to talk about anything except actually regulating the ownership and selling of firearms to private citizens.

And the idea that “Medicare for all” will fix everything, as democrats seem to think, is absolutely laughable, unless they drastically rewrite the rules.

I actually don't disagree more need to come of Medicare for All, which I support. But that is part of the thing....many of these acts, historically and currently, do not start as fully fleshed out legislation. The New Deal contained many programs which did not work, and were cut. The ACA was not truly a completed project, and this was known. I think this applies to Medicare for All as well, but if we either never try or do nothing then expecting positive results seems a bit doubtful.

Dong Zhou wrote:I'm not saying USA doesn't have major mental healthcare issues but your hardly alone, my country and I suspect others has been guilty of neglecting mental health and now finds a huge challenge ahead of them trying to find the funding and other resources needed.

The other countries don't have the regular mass shootings despite that. USA should 100% discuss mental health and look at what needs to be done (and it sounds horrific there) but it won't solve the gun shooting problems. Right now, USA comes across as "if we solve mental health, we solve these shootings." "If we curb video games, we stop the shootings." as if the other countries, where mass shootings are a rare shock rather then an annual one, don't have these same issues.

That is where the despair and sense of arrogance comes in.

Yall aren't wrong in your assumption about how a large portion of Americans view the gun control issue (read: they'd like it not to even be called a gun control issue at all). They will do anything to avoid talking about gun control. Why? Because many Americans worship the 2nd amendment, gun ownership (for a variety of reasons) is embedded in our culture, and they will undertake nearly any logical gymnastics necessary to not abridge a right they believe to be unalienable and promised. If you want my advice, many of the talking heads (and many Americans in general) who speak of addressing mental health to address gun control simply do not care. They have their bloodpact (lives for uncontrolled private gun ownership), and they will continue sending kids to school with flak-jackets stuffed full of prayers/well wishes and arguments about arming the lunch ladies/men because that's extent of their useful ideas.
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:34 am

Shikanosuke wrote:
I actually don't disagree more need to come of Medicare for All, which I support. But that is part of the thing....many of these acts, historically and currently, do not start as fully fleshed out legislation. The New Deal contained many programs which did not work, and were cut. The ACA was not truly a completed project, and this was known. I think this applies to Medicare for All as well, but if we either never try or do nothing then expecting positive results seems a bit doubtful.

I just don't have any trust in the U.S. government to develop a true single-payer system.

My biggest worry with Medicare For All is that it would be just that -- Medicare, as it currently exists, for all. Which simply isn't good enough, and as I shared earlier, is actually detrimental in ways. It's a sad time when I see patients with private insurance and feel they are better off.

I understand that legislation needs time to evolve, but I just don't think the U.S. government to pull it off. It's far too chin-deep in lobbyists and debt to big pharma to do anything that would mean healthcare is no longer for-profit.
Jia Nanfeng
Sage

PreviousNext

Return to Current Affairs