2020 US Presidential Election Speculation

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Re: 2020 US Presidential Election Speculation

Unread postby Lord Yang Jiahua » Tue May 21, 2019 7:41 pm

I'll continue this thread, for now, its not something I'm really interested in, but some observations of mine as follows:

Beto O'Rourke decided to go to Woodside (its like the Beverly Hills of stuffy rich people of Northern California) this was some weeks back. Followed by the Line "I want a grassroots campaign", I ever see this man, I'm gonna tell him to go back to Texas and be stupid there. (Look up Woodside and one of the 1st things you get is that many big donors to the Democratic party live there).

Guy had a Bobby Kennedy cut jib and good social atmosphere around him, but after this, he just proves he's a sellout like all the rest, there are no shortcuts, he should have just done his work and campaigned.

Pete Buttigieg, the Mayor, He can do it, but the cut and dry of it is, America will never elect a Gay President, Ever, he stands less a chance than a woman being elected. Americans have a very set list of things nowadays depending on political alignment, being Gay, throws off about half of either party's voters. (Someone can say, well things have changed, you're out of touch). That Hillary Clinton was a woman, definitely contributed to her not winning.

Biden, yeah, he's basically a toned down version of a Republican, who doesn't agree with general Republican hypocrisy, but is a Conservative Democrat. He can do it, if nothing else probably because his dead son told him to. (which nobody mentioned is part of his reason for running, odd). Conservative Democrat, basically means a moderate nowadays, the Democrats have moved enough left in the popular conception that alot of their campaign points have a hard time being neutral. (A national minimum wage, sure while this is actually a Left proposal, sounds great to a lot of people).

Gore Vidal basically wrote, there are two rights and no left in America, one is usually more willing to appease the general masses with bread and money, the other is usually more by the book. ( a Paraphrase).

Sanders, yeah, he can do it, kinda has to do it, but his age, and his appeal will be tricky to sell to everyone. Not much to say about him really, i'd love it if he won, would be a real middle finger to all the right-wing nationalists around the world trying to take over countries.
"We Will Show Wu The Meaning of Fear!"-Cao Cao in DW6
"Politicians Are all the same all over, They Promise to build a bridge even when theres no river"-Nikita Khrushchev
Lord Yang Jiahua
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Tue May 28, 2019 5:52 pm

Lord Yang Jiahua wrote:Beto O'Rourke decided to go to Woodside (its like the Beverly Hills of stuffy rich people of Northern California) this was some weeks back. Followed by the Line "I want a grassroots campaign", I ever see this man, I'm gonna tell him to go back to Texas and be stupid there. (Look up Woodside and one of the 1st things you get is that many big donors to the Democratic party live there).

Guy had a Bobby Kennedy cut jib and good social atmosphere around him, but after this, he just proves he's a sellout like all the rest, there are no shortcuts, he should have just done his work and campaigned.

Wow. Yeah, there were enclaves of preppy old-money donor-class Democrats like that living around Fitchburg when I was growing up and going to school there. And of course a lot of New England is like that too.

Lord Yang Jiahua wrote:Pete Buttigieg, the Mayor, He can do it, but the cut and dry of it is, America will never elect a Gay President, Ever, he stands less a chance than a woman being elected. Americans have a very set list of things nowadays depending on political alignment, being Gay, throws off about half of either party's voters. (Someone can say, well things have changed, you're out of touch). That Hillary Clinton was a woman, definitely contributed to her not winning.

On the one hand, I have to feel a bit sorry for Buttigieg. You're right, Lord Yang Jiahua: a gay candidate for president with that last name is never gonna win. But then he comes out and does and says crap like this. And this. And this. And my sympathy dries right up. And it reminds me that gay politics in the United States sucks, and that a significant segment of gays and lesbians in the United States are horrifically cruel reactionaries on everybody else's issues but theirs.

Lord Yang Jiahua wrote:Biden, yeah, he's basically a toned down version of a Republican, who doesn't agree with general Republican hypocrisy, but is a Conservative Democrat. He can do it, if nothing else probably because his dead son told him to. (which nobody mentioned is part of his reason for running, odd). Conservative Democrat, basically means a moderate nowadays, the Democrats have moved enough left in the popular conception that alot of their campaign points have a hard time being neutral. (A national minimum wage, sure while this is actually a Left proposal, sounds great to a lot of people).

I saw something recently to the effect that Biden's basically middle-of-the-road in his politics and is the closest you can get to an NPC Democrat. Like literally: ideologically he's been the median Democrat for his entire legislative career. And the weird thing was that this was on PolitiFact, here.

As to the rest, I think I kind of have to disagree. Kind of. It's not that the Democrats have moved substantially left in recent years; it's that a certain segment of the party is waking up to the realisation that Clintonian triangulation is no longer a winning strategy. We have a long way to go before the Dems get back to even FDR-style social democratic Keynesian economics, progressive taxation, transfer payments and industrial policy.

Lord Yang Jiahua wrote:Gore Vidal basically wrote, there are two rights and no left in America, one is usually more willing to appease the general masses with bread and money, the other is usually more by the book. ( a Paraphrase).

Sounds about right.

Lord Yang Jiahua wrote:Sanders, yeah, he can do it, kinda has to do it, but his age, and his appeal will be tricky to sell to everyone. Not much to say about him really, i'd love it if he won, would be a real middle finger to all the right-wing nationalists around the world trying to take over countries.

It will be interesting to see. Sanders has a populist appeal to a broad number of demographics. He was able to win over my Republican-leaning grandmother (may she rest in peace) in 2016, for example. But I agree that his age is an issue.
Some more blood, Chekov. The needle won't hurt, Chekov. Take off your shirt, Chekov. Roll over, Chekov. Breathe deeply, Chekov. Blood sample, Chekov! Marrow sample, Chekov! Skin sample, Chekov! If I live long enough... I'm going to run out of samples.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Unread postby Lord Yang Jiahua » Tue May 28, 2019 8:08 pm

WeiWenDi wrote:On the one hand, I have to feel a bit sorry for Buttigieg. You're right, Lord Yang Jiahua: a gay candidate for president with that last name is never gonna win. But then he comes out and does and says crap like this. And this. And this. And my sympathy dries right up. And it reminds me that gay politics in the United States sucks, and that a significant segment of gays and lesbians in the United States are horrifically cruel reactionaries on everybody else's issues but theirs.

Well, you put it into finer words than i ever could exactly my stance on it too. In simplistic terms i put it as, Don't hate people for the same reason they hate you. I.e hating someone because they are straight or a man just because they are straight or a man. (Because they hate you for being Gay or a Woman etc.)

I don't believe Americans care much for the Information overload politics of our current setup, courtesy of FOX, CNN and the Internet in general. I think Americans want to know they're being acknowledged and paid attention to. First convince them of this, then we give you some trust to go to Washington and fix things, and if you don't, we remove you in 4 years. That and telling people something is wrong (i.e what the media continues to do with Trump), doesn't really convince people its wrong when its usually because its totally political, etiquette related, or perhaps elites would shriek about it, but the common man is too unconcerned to understand what arcane political rules he stepped on.

I think if Hillary had simply appeared to everyone as one of them, i.e wore a baseball cap, and modest clothes, remembered people's names like her husband did, she woulda won. Instead she appeared as a super elite and had to run mainly on policy. Her nodding in some of the town-hall debates also really irked me. I know they teach that in Speech classes or Psychology as a way of saying "Im listening", but in reality people don't respond to it, they respond if you say something concrete using what they ask or said as a base, that tells people someones listening. (can't argue with psychologists on this, because they'd say they're right). Its a certain kind of tokenism though, savvy, like i'll pretend to pay attention to you but then say whatever it is im going to say and pray you don't notice i barely actually answered the question.

If Trump had say, fired Mueller, or fires one of the U.S Attorneys working on cases against him(broadly), that's obstruction of Justice and impeachable. Otherwise, in the mind of Most Americans, much like Nixon was, we know the guy is corrupt, its just extremely difficult to prove.

Interesting parallel about as many American's trusted Nixon going into the 68' Election as they did Trump in 2016 (a little over 50%). Trump is a very uncouth Nixon though, and much less so smarter is probably true.
"Politicians Are all the same all over, They Promise to build a bridge even when theres no river"-Nikita Khrushchev
Lord Yang Jiahua
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed May 29, 2019 12:31 pm

It will be interesting to see. Sanders has a populist appeal to a broad number of demographics. He was able to win over my Republican-leaning grandmother (may she rest in peace) in 2016, for example. But I agree that his age is an issue.

It is I think one of the challenges for the Sanders/Corbynites in USA and America, it is perhaps inevitable that the revival has started under old men who kept fighting but age is a practical issue, the question is very much going to be who is the younger figure who can take over and inspire in same way?
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Wed May 29, 2019 6:21 pm

A guy set himself on fire outside of the White House today.

Oof.
Jia Nanfeng
Sage

Unread postby Lord Yang Jiahua » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:55 pm

Apparently Biden slumped in the latest polls.

They said the same about Bernie but now apparently he polls third nationally (or was it just in Iowa?)

Anywho, it seems people had the same impression of " Wannabe Bobby Kennedy " Beto O'Rourke, hes only polling 2% now, i started laughing when i heard this.

Its odd because in a politically unconscious majority nation like us (I.e about half the voting population doesn't vote) the only stunt i can remember him pulling worthy of news coverage since about February was literally visiting the old rich people out here in Woodside.

This after he did run what amounted to a grassroots heavily social-media interpersonal campaign for Senator of Texas, which caught alot of people's attention including mine.

Either he really just was never gonna be popular as a candidate, or people really noticed what he did and resented it for being an obvious sell-out move.
Lord Yang Jiahua
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:32 pm

To shock of nobody, Trump is running

BBC's Anthony Zurcher has a look at the democrat candidates and their chances
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Jordan » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:35 am

https://imgur.com/7OWwhFE

This is the only woke option.

I like Tulsi Gabbard the best. Second is Sanders and third is Warren. Yang has mostly good policies, but I disagree with his signature issue of providing universal basic income. I despise every other candidate in this field and would not vote for any of them.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sakae Wu » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:28 am

Am I the only one here who felt a surge of patriotism after Trumps Fourth of July speech?

Our Army manned the air, it rammed the ramparts, it took over the airports, it did everything it had to do, and at Fort McHenry, under the rockets' red glare, it had nothing but victory.

I have to admit I wasn't sure which war he was going on about here.
And, I was a little skeptical about the airport thing until I found some evidence online> https://twitter.com/HallieRubenhold/sta ... 5724262401

America!
"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." -Confucius
Sakae Wu
Academic

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:35 pm

We don't like to talk about how we lost the air-war during the battle of independence, huge national embrassment, it took till WW2 for the RAF to redeem itself.

We are enjoying Trump's latest temper tantrums over here about our ambassador and May. Well I say enjoy, more a weary eye roll, sympathy for May and ignoring him so I wonder what he will try next to get attention
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

PreviousNext

Return to Current Affairs