Crisis in Catalonia

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Re: Crisis in Catalonia

Unread postby Sun Fin » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:29 pm

After going quiet (well at least neglected by international news) for a while the Catalonia situation has flared up again. The Catalan government have declared independence in a secret vote that pro-union parties refused to participate in and the national government and courts have ruled illegal.

Meanwhile the Spanish government have suggested their response would be to rip away any autonomy Catalonia has and impose direct rule.

What happens next has me equal parts fascinated and terrified. I can't see anyway of resolving this peacefully any more, I just hope those in positions of authority act responsibly and don't allow violence to get out of hand.
Last edited by Sun Fin on Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Re: Crisis in Catalonia

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:04 am

Given both sides main ability seems to be spotting a fire, pouring oil on it and every piece of extra flammable equipment onto said fire, I'm not hopeful this will end with rebuilding ties between the regions.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Previous

Return to Current Affairs