UK General Election 2017

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

UK General Election 2017

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri May 05, 2017 11:51 am

Parliament formerly dissolved and local elections done with results coming in. May trying to make it the Brexit election (or went to the polls becuase polling has her between a 16-20 lead on Labour), looks like Corbyn and May will both avoid the TV debates.

Anyone excited? Will Brexit play a part in how you vote and what will be the issues for you? Does the loss of the two people who can be PM mean you won't watch TV debates? What results do you want and what result do you think will happen? For those not in UK, is this of any interest to you guys?
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Re: UK General Election 2017

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sat May 06, 2017 11:10 am

I really don't know what I think. I'm certainly feeling quite lethargic about this election. It's not so much about the politicians as much as the bile that appears on my Facebook newsfeed during an election. Yes I understand that you disagree with the Tories but that doesn't mean they are blood sucking scum like so many of my friends seem to think.

As for my vote. I am undecided, I voted for Remain in the Brexit vote and I will rather we stayed in which makes me somewhat uncomfortable voting for the Conservatives. That said I actually like May and I do think that the reason she is putting out media about a hard brexit is so she has a stronger negotiating position. I think she knows we are in a weak place and she needs every tool at her disposal.

Meanwhile I don't really believe that Corbyn is anti-Brexit either, he has campaigned to leave the EU most of his political life, he just doesn't like a Tory Brexit. But ignoring that I think Corbyn would be a disaster for the economy regardless and I HATE the holier than thou mentality that his supporters spout.

That leaves the Lib Dems. I am not a liberal. However I actually like Farron. If I could be certain that he would be the leader of the Lib Dems for the next five years then I might consider voting for him but I suspect his Christianity, the reason I like him, makes him a target for our media and if the Lib Dem's begin to recover I think they'll throw him under the bus.

Therefore I have no clue who to vote for. For the first time ever I'm considering not voting for any of them and instead voting for a minor party as a protest vote.
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun May 07, 2017 11:15 am

Not excited, we know who will win so more about how smaller parties do, state of Labour and can Ruth Davidson do deny to slow SNP's referendum while the election feels irresponsible given N.Ireland (almost as irresponsible as all senior Brexiteers who have no plan for N.Ireland issue). Brexit will play a part for me as a Remainer who thinks Brexit will be a major disaster but won't be only thing, not 100% sure if I will watch debates. I think Lib Dems and Greens will make small gains, Labour will probably hold Wales, SNP take some losses but nothing too bad just a "impossible to maintain that high", Tories to win easily.

In terms of the three main parties:

Tories: I tend to respect Tories but have different instincts that make it unlikely to vote, their attitude to Brexit making it less likely. I get why people trust May and why she comes across well but I have been disappointed by her, she has had enough time for at least one major reform attempt and a sense of how she plans to tackle the great issues (bar her love of grammar schools and Brexit) of our time. We have had nothing and she isn't using the election to further that, she is playing it very very very safe rather then for policy or a sense of direction. May was a reforming Home Secretary and though she has axed great reforms, she has some potential reformers in her cabinet but will we see any of that?

Labour: Might sound odd after this week but Labour have had a good election camapign, full of policies (if falling into the trap of "we will mention funding later" or "funded by a tax we have promised 500 times over", something Labour can not afford to do), Corbyn is well suited to the stump and has curbed his tendency for self-indulgence after first week and tendency to get annoyed at media. Unfortunately, too too late judging by history. While I'm content with Milibandisim (though it is clearly not an electorally successful policy), I don't think being a leader let alone PM suits Corbyn's talents and any vote I give Labour will potentially boost the hard-liners into trying to continue this damaging social experiment. Also voting Labour where I live is a vote for a party that can't win

Lib Dems: The Tories rivals where I live. I don't warn to Farron but I do like Lamb and they are Remainers, I'm just hoping for a bolder policy platform then we have seen from them so far.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri May 12, 2017 6:12 pm

Anyone been swayed either way by Labour manifesto?
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu May 18, 2017 10:02 am

ITV election debate tonight at 8pm
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sun May 21, 2017 7:55 pm

There were aspects of the manifesto I really liked but stuff I wasn't keen on. I also struggle with some Tory policies like taking away free school lunches. I'm seriously thinking about voting for a minor party.
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon May 29, 2017 9:56 am

Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed May 31, 2017 12:11 pm

Corbyn doing (probably) the BBC leaders debate tonight, Tories still planning to send Rudd
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:19 am

Predictions with a week (or less) to go? Corbyn will shore up support, he has campaigned strongly (bar the odd gaffe) but really needs the young to stop shafting themselves and actually vote. In many ways Corbyn would have benefited from a US like system where one wins party nomination then goes straight to election rather then having to run a party but his support does seem to be around Brown and Miliband even after the election surge, not a winning position. Also think security and competence (though Corbyn having manifesto costed when Tories didn't seems to have really helped on economy) concerns will put people off at ballot box. He won't win but the scale of defeat will see if he can Kinnock it (I suspect no) or not and the left's credibility.

May is no Cameron and so I think her majority increase will be fairly small given expectations. She has botched this camapign at every turn, Crosby's strategy isn't helping but May does not look a good campaigner and has made a series of poor decisions. She will win but she will be damaged in front of her MP's and EU, she will find herself with limited support when crunch time comes in Westminster and I wouldn't be entirely surprised if she doesn't run in 2022
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:43 am

I think Corbyn has run a remarkable campaign, to such an extent I'm considering voting for him. May's on the other hand has been woeful. You wouldn't have thought that she was the one who got to chose when the election would be considering how unorganised her campaign has been.

I still think May will win but with a smaller majority then she was expecting undermining her leadership rather than shoring it up as was intended. Meanwhile I think Corbyn will do well enough to keep him in the leaders job for the foreseeable future. The sad thing for me is that i don't think either party will make inroads in to the SNP's territory.
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Current Affairs