UK General Election 2017

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Re: UK General Election 2017

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:39 am

SNP expected to be down to 50 seats but not sure how Labour's revival will play into that, if it might cost Scottish Tories key votes.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:37 am

Just me is that (bar a BNP victory), the worst result would be a narrow majority or hung parliament for either side? Reforms would be dead, we have less then a fortnight to prepare for Brexit talks which we don't need taken up by talks for deals within parliament, Brexit talks would be hampered by problems at home+the hardliners who would try to hold government to a hard/no compromise Brexit
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:53 am

Yeah I think I'd agree with that Dong!
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:00 pm

I changed my mind, if Corbyn wins WWD gets a told you so dance and so I would rather the country go to heck then see that happen :P
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:14 am

It's election day and I still don't know who I'm voting for. I'm torn between the Conservatives and Labour.
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:56 am

Voted by postal ballot so I know who I voted for :wink: Best of luck

Just for a bit of polling day humour, someone put £1,000 down at Ladbrokes for a Green election win, Greens twitter account responds "CAROLINE! THAT WAS THE LAST OF THE ELECTION FUND!"

BBC updated polling rules
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:10 pm

Well I voted for the party I didn't expect to and not convinced I made the right choice.

The exit polls say Tories will be the biggest party but not a majority. Labour are already shouting about this as a victory for their politics. My opinion is that until Labour can gain the Scottish vote back from SNP they can't really win.

Meanwhile I think that a weak May leading a minority government or with a small majority is gonna be a disaster for the country.
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:27 am

Initial thoughts (will go into detail in UK thread)

Good for: Professor Curtice exit polls being right again, Youguv whose mocked poll turned out to be close, Osborne who might not know the party but seems to have known the country a hell of a lot better then the person who sacked him, every aspiring Tory leader, Ruth Davidson the sole successful Tory leader this election, Corbyn (though I suspect he will be gently retired to backbenches in a few years... bar the very likely general election within the year, had a brilliant camapign), Lib Dems just about, Corbynites/the left who now can shake off the 1983 tag in future arguments, DUP the Kingmakers and good election anyway, Welsh Labour, EU as we try to show everyone how stupid Brexit is by making our task of a good deal in two years near impossible

Bad for: N.Ireland as a whole (what they really didn't need was one side becoming power-brokers in UK, DUP will certainly use it in their favour), Labour right who can't move against Corbyn now and know the left's arguments have got a lot stronger, May is going to be gone by year's end, Gummer, Clegg, Robertson, Salmond, Ellison and other big beasts who are out, UKIP, SNP who expected setbacks and to lose Robertson but didn't expect the scale of push back and whose independence hopes seem very damaged now. Smaller parties who are being squeezed, anyone concerned at living standards after Brexit, generation divide, stability, anyone tired of elections, us in Brexit talks
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Lady Wu » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:39 pm

Really, the *DUP*, of all parties. I can't even begin to imagine the level of instability this is going to be.

Dong Zhou, why do you think May will be gone by year's end, and how?
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Sun Fin » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:46 pm

Her party is divided between those who want a hard Brexit and those who don't want to leave at all. With a bigger majority they would have been kept in line because it didn't matter if a few rebelled against her. With a small majority anyone who disagrees with her policy on Brexit will scent blood and rebel. This will weaken her until someone else is in the party is in a position to get enough support to force a leadership battle.

That is what I find scariest - the alternatives to May are Boris Johnson, Gove etc.
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Current Affairs