UK General Election 2017

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Re: UK General Election 2017

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:53 pm

Lady Wu wrote:Really, the *DUP*, of all parties. I can't even begin to imagine the level of instability this is going to be.

Dong Zhou, why do you think May will be gone by year's end, and how?

1) Tories are ruthless regicides. May had enemies like Soubry, Osborne, Remainers, Cameroon's before hand, she has a hell of a lot more now.

2) Tories are really really angry. This election was the kind of election that one may never face in a lifetime, not just a dead cert but a chance to wipe out the opposition for good, to make statues dance, rainbows appear all across the land. Corbyn was seen as inept, security toxic, economic toxic so and so forth. As well as Corbyn did, May really really really... messed up the election: her performance, the very bad manifesto, the TV debate ducking. May made it very much "May vs Corbyn" aka literature would be MAY and Conservative party and the electorate have responded with a great rasberry. MP's feel her poor performance hampered them, they felt unconsulted on things like policy and tactics

3) May not doing the usual "I'm sorry for those that have lost" has gone down really really badly

As for how, they will axe her advisers and limit her for now but once there is a bit of breathing room, they will either persuade her to go or hound her to resign.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Lady Wu » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:21 pm

Right, and I guess it wasn't even an election you had to have, so the Tories were forced into it and came out with fewer seats. Probably not good for morale/unity.

I thought she did say "I'm sorry for those that have lost"? (Going by BBC)
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:05 am

Problem is her "I'm sorry" came after a major speech where she forgot to do it and so is now trying to claw back
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:44 am

May's loyal chief of staffs have duly been sacrificed but it only going to buy May a few months
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:41 am

I get the feeling she is playing for time in the vain hope something might change and she can reassert herself over the party. Whereas it is clear the party are waiting for things to settle down before they go in for the kill!

Potential leaders I've heard mentioned so far:

Amber Rudd
Boris Johnson
Michael Gove
David Davies

The last of them would be my pick!
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:27 am

Anyone but Boris....

I can't see Gove as he destroyed his reputation in last few years, Boris is clear front-runner but I imagine if he got in that EU would try to get us renamed to "Boris is a racist twerp" among many other punishments, Rudd has handled herself well and think she leans my way on policy off top of my head, David Davies is a clever man and a charismatic man but poor judgement.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:17 pm

I lost all respect for Rudd after her date rape analogy about BoJo during the Brexit debate. I don't like the man but politics is not the space for those kind of personal attacks.

Please come back David Cameron! :lol:
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:19 pm

I forgot about that. Possibly the best behaved is David Davis with the double D's thing last time he ran the worst off the top of my head

May's reshuffle showing her very very very very limited power at moment. As pleased as I am to see her filling what holes she has with moderate and remain wing of party...
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Previous

Return to Current Affairs