Rio 2016

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Rio 2016

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:29 pm

Realized we didn't have such a topic (if I missed it, give me a kick).

What sports are people planning to watch?

Excited by it being in South America for first time or think it is a bad thing for Brazil?

Any hopes for your country?

How concerned are you by doping?

=====

I saw the Olympic opening ceremony (have done since Athens), I think it will leave great memories for the stuff it did right but it was a bit disappointing watching on TV. I think sometimes when people were dancing, a closer camera view would have helped
example two reds, a gold and a silver group doing regional dances, prefer a more intimate view. Whereas when on the boxes, could see the dancing clearly
, the sound system meant most of the songs were inaudible though I did like the different version of the national anthem. History section ended up dragging.

However there were moments I loved. The anthem, the plane, the video screen on the floor was wonderful with my favourite being the rising city, the boats, the favella dancing, their choice of the person to light the flame was great, the "sun" they created is a work of pure beauty.

Please Tokyo, only do one set of fireworks.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Re: Rio 2016

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:32 pm

I've not watched much yet but the volleyball is what I'm most excited about, that and the high profile athletics (Farah, Bolt etc). UK will do best in cycling but I really dislike Wiggins so find it difficult to get excited about it.
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Re: Rio 2016

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:40 pm

I enjoyed the closing ceremony more then the opening ceremony, less music and some nice visual themes, Japan did quite well in it's brief slot but the BBC commentators seemed a tad... tired, slopping and a bit snarky. Also thought a strange move by BBC that it's highlights packages were three hours which I'm not sure would have suited most people
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Return to Current Affairs