A different kind of political quiz (not only for Americans)

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

A different kind of political quiz (not only for Americans)

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:26 pm

... but primarily for Americans. This quiz is based on the somewhat, ah... wrong, but also highly interesting thesis put out by Colin Woodard a few years back. It's kind of a political quiz, but also kind of a cultural one meant to measure what sort of values and social priorities you hold to.

It should be interesting, in addition for non-American quiz takers, because the cultural differences are so intriguing.

Anyway, here are my results:

Playbuzz wrote:The Midlands

The most oddly shaped nation of the eleven, The Midlands originate in Central Maryland and Pennsylvania, including Baltimore and Philadelphia, and stretch through Ohio, Indiana, and Ilinois before emptying out into Iowa. From there, it stretches south towards the Panhandle of Texas, and in the north, it wraps around Yankeedom, ending in Toronto, and Windsor, Ontario. Big cities include Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, and St. Louis in the U.S. and Toronto, Canada.

This nation is the origin of the heartland culture, the middle America lifestyle that aims to benefit the middle class, but rejects top-down government intervention. It's history starts with the English quakers of Pennsylvania, but has been ethnically diverse from the beginning, harboring German and Dutch farmers. Although creating an ethnic, economical utopia was never a priority, they still side with Yankeedom on the belief that ordinary people should be the benefactors of society. Politically, this is a dramatic swing region, with battleground states such as Ohio, Indiana, and Iowa holding important votes for politicians. Usually, the more moderate politician is elected in these regions.

Opposites: Deep South, Yankeedom
Similar With: El Norte

This isn't surprising, since among my forebears are both ethnic English Quakers and German immigrants, and I was raised in the Midwest. Also, I have a strong conservative, communitarian streak that is also pro-labour (Rust Belt) and pro-agrarian. Anyway, I'd be interested in where other people get placed here!
Some more blood, Chekov. The needle won't hurt, Chekov. Take off your shirt, Chekov. Roll over, Chekov. Breathe deeply, Chekov. Blood sample, Chekov! Marrow sample, Chekov! Skin sample, Chekov! If I live long enough... I'm going to run out of samples.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Re: A different kind of political quiz (not only for America

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:07 am

Playbuzz wrote:New Netherland

This nation occupies New York City and its metropolitan area, which contains Northern New Jersey, far Southeastern New York State, and far Southwestern Connecticut.

New York City's roots are primarily Dutch, with the British apprehending the city in the mid to late 1600's. A major port city, New Netherland acted as both an economic and cultural hub throughout its history, harboring millions of immigrants and connecting the rest of the United States with the world. This culture, much like New France, is very tolerant and open-minded, as a result of years of immigration from various countries for different reasons, mostly religious and political. Being materialistic, it isn't as morally focused as its Yankeedom and Midlands neighbors, but in general, New Netherland has sided with Yankeedom in the political arena, voting consistently Democrat in elections.

Opposites: Greater Appalachia, Far West,
Similar With: Yankeedom, Left Coast

I wouldn't feel comfortable with the options for some of the questions if it weren't a Playbuzz quiz. And I got stumped on the death penalty question for a while because the issue is a lot more complicated than the three options presented; I didn't like the implications of the "pro death penalty" option, and the "anti death penalty" options presented fickle arguments. For me, the issue is far less about what criminals do or do not deserve, and much more about where the death penalty puts the US globally in terms of human rights and how the rest of the world views that vis a vis our penchant for personal freedoms, and the potential for executing innocent people.

That said, I can't really disagree with the results. And it makes me curious what qualities one would possess to be classified in that mid-Atlantic country, given that I grew up in Eastern Virginia.

And what is up with the bit about materialism??? Edit: Never mind.

edit: On Tidewater. From this link.

TIDEWATER. Built by the younger sons of southern English gentry in the Chesapeake country and neighboring sections of Delaware and North Carolina, Tidewater was meant to reproduce the semifeudal society of the countryside they’d left behind. Standing in for the peasantry were indentured servants and, later, slaves. Tidewater places a high value on respect for authority and tradition, and very little on equality or public participation in politics. It was the most powerful of the American nations in the eighteenth century, but today it is in decline, partly because it was cut off from westward expansion by its boisterous Appalachian neighbors and, more recently, because it has been eaten away by the expanding federal halos around D.C. and Norfolk.

Yeah, OK. My connections to Norfolk probably have a lot to do with why I didn't get this region, haha.
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Bush Leagues » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:42 am

Well, it is a silly internet quiz, so no need to take it too seriously. I got "Greater Appalachia".

Greater Appalachia begins in Eastern New Mexico and spans through Northern Arkansas, Southern Missouri, and Southern Indiana into the Appalachian Mountains. The area is mostly rural, with its biggest city being Dallas at just over one million people.
This nation consists mostly of descendants of settlers from Northern England, Northern Ireland, and the Scottish Lowlands who were escaping war. Elements of that warring state of mind shifted from the borderlands to this region, where individual liberty and personal honor were seen in the highest regard. Freedom is the most valuable and treasured aspect of their culture, sharing more in common with the Far West than the Deep South. These citizens prize their freedom so much that they fight against whoever threatens it; whether it be through combat against the South in the Civil War, or through politics in the modern day against pro-government intervention Democrats in Yankeedom or the Left Coast. Today, they ally themselves with the Deep South, sharing their same views on smaller government in order to preserve their freedoms, although their reasoning has little to do with protecting the wealthy. Most of this region votes Republican in big and small elections alike.

Opposites: Yankeedom, Left Coast, Midlands,
Similar With: Far West, Deep South,

Not too bad, actually. I fully expected "Deep South" going in, but I guess I wasn't racist enough XD (Note: I'm not saying people in the deep south are racist - I live there! - but rather, that's the perception I suspect others have).

As Zyzyfer mentioned, there are at least a few questions that just can't accurately represent what I actually want to say. Question 3 for instance (Socialized Healthcare), had two answers I both found appropriate - that its an intrusion on freedom and unnecessary for it can be better done outside of government. I had to choose just one, even though I thought both statements were basically accurate. Freedom being the more pressing issue in my mind, i chose that. I think question 4 was gun control? It only had 3 options, but there are more reasonable answers beyond that. I forget what I picked. And question 11 (immigration) had several answers, but once again, nothing accurately represents my views on it. The option "They get amnesty as long as they can support themselves" was closest to my view, so I went with that.

Kinda interesting, and a fun little quiz to see where I end up. Make me wonder if I might be more at home a little bit further north than where I live now. Thanks for sharing.
Currently playing: Android: Netrunner LCG , Shadowrun (tabletop), and Warhammer Ancient Battle.

Pan Feng can destroy this Hua Xiong! A Han Fu ROTK IX After-Action Report.
One of the best posts ever about Pan Feng.
Bush Leagues
Sage

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:39 am

Bush Leagues wrote:Well, it is a silly internet quiz, so no need to take it too seriously.

Normally I would totally agree. But WWD posted it in the Current Affairs forum :twisted:
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:24 am

Zyzyfer wrote:
Bush Leagues wrote:Well, it is a silly internet quiz, so no need to take it too seriously.

Normally I would totally agree. But WWD posted it in the Current Affairs forum :twisted:

:lol: Consider this my penance, then.

I don't take anything on Playbuzz that seriously anyway; and I thought this was just in good fun.

Zyzyfer wrote:edit: On Tidewater. From this link.

Thanks for posting that, Zyzyfer! I haven't read Woodard's book yet, just the dust jacket and the online teasers, so it's good to get the brief descriptions of all the different regions.

Bush Leagues wrote:Kinda interesting, and a fun little quiz to see where I end up. Make me wonder if I might be more at home a little bit further north than where I live now. Thanks for sharing.

No problem, Bush Leagues! I know you tend to be much more individualistic than I am, so I'm not surprised that you wound up in Greater Appalachia. I was somewhat surprised, though, that Zyzyfer ended up in New Netherlands...
Some more blood, Chekov. The needle won't hurt, Chekov. Take off your shirt, Chekov. Roll over, Chekov. Breathe deeply, Chekov. Blood sample, Chekov! Marrow sample, Chekov! Skin sample, Chekov! If I live long enough... I'm going to run out of samples.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:16 am

Yankeedom

This powerful, populous nation stretches from the far eastern Dakotas towards the shores of Maine, encompassing big cities such as Detroit, Chicago, and Boston. Historically, Yankeedom originated from the minds of radical Calvinists and other Puritans, who escaped persecution in Great Britain. Yankeedom's philosophy has its roots in a "yeoman agricultural economy…. based on cooperation (Woodward)" and values education, the common good, and heavy citizen involvement in politics. Government intervention is seen to be necessary in order to protect citizens from the wealthy's ambitions. Gun control, obamacare, and other government-led social projects are generally looked upon favorably. Personal honor and virtue is viewed as unimportant, due to their strong emphasis on the common good. Politically, this nation's ideals line up with the Democratic party.

Opposites: Deep South, Greater Appalachia,
Similar with: The Left Coast, New Netherlands,

Calvinist roots sounds pretty spot on to me. Perhaps not so sure on personal honour and virtue being seen as unimportant but the rest of it sounded fair.
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Bush Leagues » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:19 am

Hehe. Noted:

Bush Leagues wrote:Opposites: Yankeedom, Left Coast, Midlands,

Sun Fin wrote:Opposites: Deep South, Greater Appalachia,

A rivalry begins! :lol:
Currently playing: Android: Netrunner LCG , Shadowrun (tabletop), and Warhammer Ancient Battle.

Pan Feng can destroy this Hua Xiong! A Han Fu ROTK IX After-Action Report.
One of the best posts ever about Pan Feng.
Bush Leagues
Sage

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:24 pm

Bush Leagues wrote:Opposites: Yankeedom, Left Coast, Midlands

WeiWenDi wrote:Opposites: Deep South, Yankeedom

Sun Fin wrote:Opposites: Deep South, Greater Appalachia

So, let me get this straight.

Sun Fin seems to be okay with me, but not with Bush Leagues. Likewise, Bush Leagues, I seem to be fine with you, but you don't like me all that much. But we both don't like Sun Fin. However, if someone from the Deep South showed up, both me and Sun Fin would be rivals with them, but Bush Leagues wouldn't have any problems with them. And everything would be a total clusterf**k.

Aren't American culture politics great?
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:29 pm

There wasn't really an answer that suited my feelings towards trust/distrust of government

I got Yankeedom like Sun Fin. I'm wondering if most of England would get that
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:42 pm

PlayBuzz wrote:The Midlands
Thewww.triblocal.com
The most oddly shaped nation of the eleven, The Midlands originate in Central Maryland and Pennsylvania, including Baltimore and Philadelphia, and stretch through Ohio, Indiana, and Ilinois before emptying out into Iowa. From there, it stretches south towards the Panhandle of Texas, and in the north, it wraps around Yankeedom, ending in Toronto, and Windsor, Ontario. Big cities include Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, and St. Louis in the U.S. and Toronto, Canada.
This nation is the origin of the heartland culture, the middle America lifestyle that aims to benefit the middle class, but rejects top-down government intervention. It's history starts with the English quakers of Pennsylvania, but has been ethnically diverse from the beginning, harboring German and Dutch farmers. Although creating an ethnic, economical utopia was never a priority, they still side with Yankeedom on the belief that ordinary people should be the benefactors of society. Politically, this is a dramatic swing region, with battleground states such as Ohio, Indiana, and Iowa holding important votes for politicians. Usually, the more moderate politician is elected in these regions.

Opposites: Deep South, Yankeedom
Similar With: El Norte

What I got, though I felt the answers not expansive enough.
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Current Affairs