UK General Election 2015

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Re: UK General Election 2015

Unread postby Shen Ai » Fri May 08, 2015 6:50 pm

Nick Clegg and Ed Miliband both stepped down, as did the leader of UKIP, Nick Farage.

Dong Zhou wrote:An incumbent PM to have increased his seats and share like that is incredible. Well done Cameron. I still suspect elements of his party won't see him as a winner or love him though.

Cameron is disliked by media as he either isn't a true Tory or he is a Tory and your a left-wing journalist so you have to hate him :wink: In terms of the public, he tended to have best leadership ratings. They might fully trust him with NHS or to be fair but they trust him more on the economy and leadership.

What do you make of him? Aside from the skill politician bit and the well educated part. Some people say he's out of touch.
I've a brave warrior in my army. Shen Ai is his name, and he can slay this Hua Xiong.

Wei has no more famous commanders, Shen Ai takes lead of the vanguard!

Even a commoner on the street knows what Shen Ai is thinking!
Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri May 08, 2015 8:52 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:Neither did I.

Cameron is disliked by media as he either isn't a true Tory or he is a Tory and your a left-wing journalist so you have to hate him :wink: In terms of the public, he tended to have best leadership ratings. They might not fully trust him with NHS or to be fair but they trust him more on the economy and leadership.

bolded correction

Shen Ai wrote:Nick Clegg and Ed Miliband both stepped down, as did the leader of UKIP, Nick Farage.

What do you make of him? Aside from the skill politician bit and the well educated part. Some people say he's out of touch.

Had to happen. The first two had a disastrous result and Labour knives were being drawn even during the night. Farage had to due to his promise but if he wants the job again, he will pretty much get it.

He is a rich man who has spent most of his life in Westminster, he is going to be out of touch like Ed Miliband, Clegg and Farage are. His constituency work might help on that as it can most MP's.

Socially liberal, economic interventionist to a degree but an economic Tory, he lacks a great vision but he has a sense of what he wants to leave behind. His instincts tend to be father of the nation, be positive, modernize his party but he gets easily sidetricked into doing things like EU referendum or hard line on immigration or tries to be too clever like English votes after winning independence referendum. Polite and can be kind but has a temper and streak arrogance that can make him unpleasant, a skilled speaker, very loyal (unlike Ed Miliband) to those within his ranks. Sees himself as a chairman and in that respect, best when he allows his reformers a chance to go for it but I fear he has been put off doing that. Really bad at party management, while good with his cabinet, as he does alienate his MP's (mind you, some will never ever be happy) and doesn't broaden his circles widely enough. Tends to allow things to get to crises level before he does something which does drive some in his party nuts. I do think he is awful at foreign policy though.

I think (cavaet being I'm a pru-Europen, pro Human Rights act leftie) he has been a pretty good PM, just wish he would be bolder in what he believed in so we didn't have a EU referendum coming. Also find a good foreign secretary and sack Grayling.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon May 11, 2015 2:31 pm

I didn't see a majority coming but I was sure the Tories would have the biggest party.

It depends what you mean by 'the public'. If you mean social media then you are talking about a very vocal but quite small minority of younger voters who are very left wing. I think the wider public either like him or think that he was the lesser of the other evils. As for my view - I largely agree with Dong, I think his on the left of his party and is quite good but sadly he bows to pressure from the right of the party more than I would like.

Also 'Labour crumble in England and Wales'? Really? They lost 40 odd seats in Scotland yet only lost 29 overall. they actually gained seats in England. Albeit off the Lib Dem's rather than from the Tories but I do think that is a misrepresentation of what actually happened. I think largely people picked up on Ed Balls losing his seat (so happy about that by the way) and presented that as if it was widespread.
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon May 11, 2015 9:15 pm

Maybe not crumbled then but massively flopped. For an opposing party against a half-austerity government and with good polling and a noted ground campaign, that was an abysmal result.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue May 12, 2015 8:33 am

Dong Zhou wrote:Maybe not crumbled then but massively flopped. For an opposing party against a half-austerity government and with good polling and a noted ground campaign, that was an abysmal result.

Yeah fair enough, it's not like I'm going to massively U-turn and say that Ed Miliband was a great Labour leader :wink:
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu May 14, 2015 9:41 pm

I certainly didn't expect the massive infighting of UKIP so soon after the election. Could be real issues now Evans, Carswell and O'Flynn weakened Farage, he must resist Banks siren calls to boot out three of the heavy hitters of the party but Farage's authority has been damaged and rifts exposed for all too see.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon May 18, 2015 10:36 am

Dong Zhou wrote:I certainly didn't expect the massive infighting of UKIP so soon after the election. Could be real issues now Evans, Carswell and O'Flynn weakened Farage, he must resist Banks siren calls to boot out three of the heavy hitters of the party but Farage's authority has been damaged and rifts exposed for all too see.

Only UKIP could have a backbench rebellion with only 1 MP :wink:

At this rate they won't hold on to their one MP for long...
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Previous

Return to Current Affairs