Sex is Overrated

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Sex is Overrated

Unread postby CaoCaoTsundere » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:50 am

Lets talk about the most overrated thing in the world!.. and not I am not talking about Zhuge Liang or Sao. Recently i was looking for funny questions in yahoo and i noticed in many questions the kids nowadays have the first sexual encounter at 12-13 wtf at that age i was thinking in power rangers and yu gi oh. What happened to the Romance and true love? friends, at least for me is sad to notice that nobody care for things like walk with your lover holding hands.. im feeling like im outdated
CaoCaoTsundere
Tyro

Re: Sex is Overrated

Unread postby Bush Leagues » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:14 pm

CaoCaoTsundere wrote:Lets talk about the most overrated thing in the world!.. and not I am not talking about Zhuge Liang or Sao. Recently i was looking for funny questions in yahoo and i noticed in many questions the kids nowadays have the first sexual encounter at 12-13 wtf at that age i was thinking in power rangers and yu gi oh. What happened to the Romance and true love? friends, at least for me is sad to notice that nobody care for things like walk with your lover holding hands.. im feeling like im outdated

Haha, yeah, I know how you feel. My first sexual encounters were when I was 17, I think. It does seem to be the trend that kids tend to...mature (or at least deal with more mature issues, like sexuality) at younger ages then even my generation (born 1988). I suspect a lot of this has to deal with the internet, but I cannot be sure of the reasons.

I think it's fine for kids to start talking about sex at around 12-13, although that might be a bit young to engage in that stuff. But going to the point I think you're trying to make (sex isn't everything kids, don't just go rushing into it), I'm not willing to just assume these kids are in it just for the physical pleasure. I remember feeling very strongly about a girl when I was 15 and 16, it's not unreasonable that with the trend kids are experiencing that I described above that someone might feel that same way at 13 or so.

Whether these feelings are legitimate or whether they can feel anything like love at that age is not really too relevant - if they're in that mindset where they think it's love, that's enough for bull-headed teens (meaning every teen) to think seriously about acting on it.
Currently playing: Android: Netrunner LCG , Shadowrun (tabletop), and Warhammer Ancient Battle.

Pan Feng can destroy this Hua Xiong! A Han Fu ROTK IX After-Action Report.
One of the best posts ever about Pan Feng.
Bush Leagues
Sage

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:19 pm

I'm a virgin so can't comment on sex being overatted or not but I would probably find holding hands a bit weird.

You got peer pressure, easy access to adult entrainment, varying qualities of sex-ed, bad influences, media and entertainment influence. I don't think there was ever an age of "romance and true love" but sex does happen too early nowadays.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby epaminondas146871 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:00 am

I suppose that my judgments on the topic are skewed by the fact that I'm a 16 year old, but for what it's worth, I think that the increased sexualization of today's youth is not a bad thing. People are learning how to be comfortable with themselves and how to enjoy physical pleasures at a younger age. That's not mutually exclusive with romance and true love, in fact, sexual and romantic relations probably can and should develop hand in hand. Physical intimacy is a good thing. And casual sexual relations aren't problematic either, even if you think it's overrated plenty of people (including myself) would disagree.

I think promoting sexual development without psychological and emotional maturity is silly, and I think that's what's really what's more troublesome.
"Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all." - Alexander

"The higher we soar, the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly." - Friedrich Nietzsche
epaminondas146871
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Bush Leagues » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:52 am

epaminondas146871 wrote:I suppose that my judgments on the topic are skewed by the fact that I'm a 16 year old, but for what it's worth, I think that the increased sexualization of today's youth is not a bad thing. People are learning how to be comfortable with themselves and how to enjoy physical pleasures at a younger age. That's not mutually exclusive with romance and true love, in fact, sexual and romantic relations probably can and should develop hand in hand. Physical intimacy is a good thing. And casual sexual relations aren't problematic either, even if you think it's overrated plenty of people (including myself) would disagree.

I think promoting sexual development without psychological and emotional maturity is silly, and I think that's what's really what's more troublesome.

On the whole, I tend to agree with this. Kids need to learn about it at a younger age, and it's not really wrong for parents to teach their kids about some things sexually. Masturbation is perfectly normal and healthy, and hopefully that would stem the desire to rush to having sex (although I suppose it might do the opposite :lol: ).

I still think intercourse proper should be delayed to an appropriate age, but that's really more of a parenting decision than anything, so I'm not eager to tell other people what to do. That said, if you have a good friend of your preferred sex that you want to "learn more about", that could be OK. This is another sticky situation that we should really rely on parenting for. I definitely don't have all the answers, and the "right" answer is gonna vary from person to person and family to family.

That said, none of my future kids are having sex. I'll shoot 'em in the face with a laser rifle if they do. :lol: I will invent the laser rifle strictly for the purpose of shooting them. And then destroy my creation so it can never be used against me... :D
Currently playing: Android: Netrunner LCG , Shadowrun (tabletop), and Warhammer Ancient Battle.

Bush Leagues
Sage

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:38 am

epaminondas146871 wrote:I suppose that my judgments on the topic are skewed by the fact that I'm a 16 year old, but for what it's worth, I think that the increased sexualization of today's youth is not a bad thing. People are learning how to be comfortable with themselves and how to enjoy physical pleasures at a younger age. That's not mutually exclusive with romance and true love, in fact, sexual and romantic relations probably can and should develop hand in hand. Physical intimacy is a good thing. And casual sexual relations aren't problematic either, even if you think it's overrated plenty of people (including myself) would disagree.

Let's be real here - that human beings start having sexual desires before the age of 16 is completely natural. I started noticing girls at 14. Girls start undergoing puberty at 12, on average, unless I'm mistaken. Thing is, in many traditional societies, young men were considered men from a much earlier age, and young women were considered women much younger than that. Cao Cao had his own military command in Luoyang when he was 20. Guo Jia was already supporting himself and travelling around the country at 19. Liu Bei studied in government from the age of 14.

What is not natural is the social expectation that you should be expected to wait twice that long to get married and start a family. The idea is that if you can't support yourself financially, you shouldn't be expected to have a child. Which is fine in and of itself; being responsible is good - but the society systematically removing capabilities from high school graduates to get a job and support themselves (if they want) makes things far more difficult.

In order to keep people disconnected from purely 'personal' concerns, the better to be 'available' for your employer at any time and for any reason. So we've disconnected sex - which is now used as a distraction and a consumer commodity - from procreation, from marriage and from long-term relationships, which are not economical and not useful to the business world.

Allow me to indulge my inner undergrad Marxist for a moment.

The owners of capital want to encourage the former. Sex, untutored and unrestrained, is good for business. It fuels psychological and economic insecurity, and inculcates a basic desire for consumption. More people wanting sex means more people consuming otherwise-useless durables: cosmetics, personal grooming and care items, sexual status markers (clothes, cars, apartments, furniture), alcohol, drugs, sex toys, prophylactics, birth control, magazines with tips for 'better' sex, and so on. More people feeling lonely and horny, being unsatisfied with their bodies, being unsatisfied with how much or how good sex they get, makes the rich richer and makes the poor poorer.

But capitalist society likes its sex 'safe'. 'Safe' means 'unattached'. Plebs who get attached - to a husband, to a wife, to a kid - are bad for business. Capitalists want their cogs cheap, reliable and replaceable; they don't want their consciences burdened by little people who might lower productivity. Secretly they probably have a hankering for the late 1800's before labour laws prohibited them from sending children to work in the factories for peanuts, but admitting that these days is somewhat gauche. So what do they do? They create an ideology which tells people: go ahead and have sex (that is, consume away), but whatever you do, don't get pregnant! Pregnancy is scary. It's costly; it's a burden. It makes you unemployable. And the really genius part? They get women to promote this ideology to each other and they get their critics to co-opt it as 'progressive', by telling them that it's empowering to have sex and not get pregnant. In other words, you're the perfect producing, consuming, non-reproducing worker ant - you go, girl!

But that whole ideology is one Big Fat Hairy Ruling-Class Lie. Biology will be served. Sex just isn't 'safe'. It's dirty, it's fun, it's creative and it's gloriously messy. And let's be honest; what you really want when you want sex is some kind of connexion. Nobody likes being lonely, and even people who have casual sex like to be seen and thought of as 'f**kable' - there's a natural desire there, a psychological imperative to be wanted by another person. And most people do like kids, and it's natural for a man or a woman to want some of his or her own.

I don't think casual sex is 'overrated'. I think it's being deliberately propagated by the ruling class and its propagandists, exactly for that purpose. Lowering barriers to sex-as-consumer-product, while raising the financial barriers to the physical means of (re)production for the vast majority of people, is a deliberate means of keeping the working class docile, mobile, insecure, complacent and exploitable. Look up the data for the American family. Out-of-wedlock births, single-parent and divorced homes, abortion, propagation of contraception - these are all focussed squarely on the working class. On urban and rural wage-workers. On minorities.

I have a radical communist solution in mind for this. It is time for us to declare a truce in the gender war, which is actually an ideological extension of the class war. It is time for a radical experiment in intentional small-scale communal living. One man and one woman, completely unrelated to each other, pool all their financial resources together for common use. They unreservedly give each other sex, but as a rule don't have sex outside the commune. (Remember, casual sex is a tool of the capitalist oppressor!) And the best part? They don't have the pressure to consume endlessly in pursuit of sexual satisfaction! They completely opt out of using contraceptives and birth control, of elaborate mating games requiring expenditures on alcohol and expensive clothes, cars and cosmetics. The very structure of the commune starves the capitalist beast!

I need a short, snappy name for this communal setup, though. Anyone have any ideas?
Some more blood, Chekov. The needle won't hurt, Chekov. Take off your shirt, Chekov. Roll over, Chekov. Breathe deeply, Chekov. Blood sample, Chekov! Marrow sample, Chekov! Skin sample, Chekov! If I live long enough... I'm going to run out of samples.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Unread postby Bush Leagues » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:45 am

WeiWenDi wrote:I need a short, snappy name for this communal setup, though. Anyone have any ideas?

Pretty sure the word I have in mind would get my post deleted and my account warned. :D

Those are...hmm. Those are some ideas. I can't deny that.

I think Marxist might be a bit of an understatement. :lol:

Bush Leagues
Sage

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:00 am

Bush Leagues wrote:
WeiWenDi wrote:I need a short, snappy name for this communal setup, though. Anyone have any ideas?

Pretty sure the word I have in mind would get my post deleted and my account warned. :D

Those are...hmm. Those are some ideas. I can't deny that.

I think Marxist might be a bit of an understatement. :lol:

I was being humorous there. A sexual, procreative and common-property commune made up of one man and one woman is actually what we usually call 'marriage'.

I'm not a Marxist anymore, though. It's just sometimes fun to use Marxist analysis, as long as we don't pretend that Marx's own prescriptions were anything near as 'scientific' as they purport to be.
Some more blood, Chekov. The needle won't hurt, Chekov. Take off your shirt, Chekov. Roll over, Chekov. Breathe deeply, Chekov. Blood sample, Chekov! Marrow sample, Chekov! Skin sample, Chekov! If I live long enough... I'm going to run out of samples.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Unread postby Bush Leagues » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:23 am

WeiWenDi wrote:I was being humorous there. A sexual, procreative and common-property commune made up of one man and one woman is actually what we usually call 'marriage'.

Oh yeah. You used big words, so I probably missed a lot. :lol:

Honestly, if I analyzed it a bit more, I might have realized it was satire. But people have some outrageous ideas sometimes, so I could have been convinced it was real, too.

WeiWenDi wrote:I'm not a Marxist anymore, though. It's just sometimes fun to use Marxist analysis, as long as we don't pretend that Marx's own prescriptions were anything near as 'scientific' as they purport to be.

I know the basic ideas, but not the details, so I couldn't comment on their "scientific-ness" (that's a word) or not.

Bush Leagues
Sage

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:52 pm

Regards romance, it isn't dead. I mean it may get abused into overly expensive things including weddings which may cost more then a house deposit, but it is there, people still long for it. Sex may have become more casual, we may not have formal dances anymore but a girl (or a man) still likes to be wooed, to be courted and made to feel special. Disney still does true love and that sells, the young adult films still play hugely into romance as much as action.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Next

Return to Current Affairs