SOPA is back

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

SOPA is back

Unread postby DreamGoddessLindsey » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:57 pm

So apparently, despite millions of people being against it, SOPA is back thanks to Obama. He's brought back the worst provision, too: making streaming content illegal. You could upload yourself singing on YouTube and get put in prison.

Intellectual property rights have gotten way out of hand. It's ridiculous. This is wrong. Obama is no Democrat, he's a Republican in disguise. Screw these Blue Dog Traitors to progressive liberalism. Obama is ignoring the people, and he cost Democrats the Senate.

I'm finally on the "get rid of Obummer" bandwagon, but not because he's a liberal or commi or born in Africa, but because he's a liar who promised many things and then switched sides once he got re-elected. Screw this man. If it wouldn't get me banned, I'd call him the "N" word for what he's done. I hate Obama.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the ... art-of-it/

<Mod Edit (SunXia): Title altered, no need for capitals and strong language!!>
DreamGoddessLindsey
Banned

Re: SOPA is back... To HELL with Obama

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:07 pm

You would use a racist word because you disagree with a man? This speaks so very very very ill of you. Yes it would have got you banned, that you thought of it andspoke so casually about it is deeply worrying and makes the world a sadder place none the less.

Hate Obama if you want, rail against what he does by all means. Don't use racism, that is disgusting and an insult to all those who have suffered and fought against racism when you would use it so casually because you hate someone. Hating someone does not excuse bad behaviour

Maybe you will have come closer to understanding why some voted Republician at the elections.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby DreamGoddessLindsey » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:04 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:You would use a racist word because you disagree with a man? This speaks so very very very ill of you. Yes it would have got you banned, that you thought of it andspoke so casually about it is deeply worrying and makes the world a sadder place none the less.

No, not because I disgaree with him, but because he's a liar and a traitor to Democrats and have cost us dearly. The Republicans were on the ropes because of the Tea Party, and Obama not only wasted the chance to put them out once and for all, he helped them get back into power. He has betrayed those who voted for him. That is why I would use that word.

Dong Zhou wrote:Hate Obama if you want, rail against what he does by all means. Don't use racism, that is disgusting and an insult to all those who have suffered and fought against racism when you would use it so casually because you hate someone. Hating someone does not excuse bad behaviour

Maybe you will have come closer to understanding why some voted Republician at the elections.

It happened because voters are a bit too simple and ignorant to see that Obama is not actually behaving, talking, or running things like a Democrat, but rather a Republican. Obama ruined things for progressive values and morality, instead taking us in a backward direction.
DreamGoddessLindsey
Banned

Unread postby Shozuhn » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:19 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:Hate Obama if you want, rail against what he does by all means. Don't use racism, that is disgusting and an insult to all those who have suffered and fought against racism when you would use it so casually because you hate someone. Hating someone does not excuse bad behaviour

This site needs a like button at times like these...
This deserves 2 big smiley faces
:D :D
Shozuhn
Initiate

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:02 pm

DreamGoddessLindsey wrote:
No, not because I disgaree with him, but because he's a liar and a traitor to Democrats and have cost us dearly. The Republicans were on the ropes because of the Tea Party, and Obama not only wasted the chance to put them out once and for all, he helped them get back into power. He has betrayed those who voted for him. That is why I would use that word.

Sorry, I still see no reason to use racism. He is a liar? There are a lot of liars. He is a traitor? Fine, I accept you believe that, there is appropriate language for attacking him within that. There are arguments to use, there is a case you could make to persuade your friends and those you know. There are a lot of things one can do, a lot of appropriate ways to handle this.

The appropriate response is certainly not to sully the world with racism, to diminish the issue and the fight against it by using it as a casual insult. Using racism would also besmirch the name of the cause while the moment you use racism, you forfeit the arguments and the high ground in almost any situation.

It happened because voters are a bit too simple and ignorant to see that Obama is not actually behaving, talking, or running things like a Democrat, but rather a Republican. Obama ruined things for progressive values and morality, instead taking us in a backward direction.

Yes, that's it. Insult the electorate. Make no attempt to understand why things happened, to understand humans, just find scapegoats and generalize in a negative away about a wide swathe of people. I'm still a tad confused on how Obama is so bad that you rail against him but anyone who agrees with you and so votes based on that is either stupid or racist.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Re: SOPA is back

Unread postby DreamGoddessLindsey » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:49 pm

First, you need to stop focusing on the "racist" word, seeing as it's my thinking to have and it's not the point of the topic.

Second, I understand all too clearly. They are either brainwashed or not educated/smart enough to see between the lines, see the truth, and vote with their brains instead of their religions. Republicans largely win votes solely because of religion over here. You think I don't understand their motive? On the contrary. It's the other way around. I understand the why and I'm dumbfounded how so many people can be tricked so many times.
DreamGoddessLindsey
Banned

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:04 am

DreamGoddessLindsey wrote:So apparently, despite millions of people being against it,

The amount of people for or against a bill has little relevance to its validity. I'm not sure why you would reference this.

SOPA is back thanks to Obama. He's brought back the worst provision, too: making streaming content illegal. You could upload yourself singing on YouTube and get put in prison.

I'm a little confused at this, currently. I haven't independently researched the issue but from the article you linked it seems to source..nothing. Have I missed something? Apoligies if so, but it didnt' seem to shed life on the bill or its specifics.

Intellectual property rights have gotten way out of hand. It's ridiculous. This is wrong. Obama is no Democrat, he's a Republican in disguise. Screw these Blue Dog Traitors to progressive liberalism. Obama is ignoring the people, and he cost Democrats the Senate.

I'm confused how this isn't a rant or relevant to the issue at hand.

I'm finally on the "get rid of Obummer" bandwagon, but not because he's a liberal or commi or born in Africa, but because he's a liar who promised many things and then switched sides once he got re-elected. Screw this man.

Ah. So its news that being elected often means making promises one isnt' capable of keeping.

If it wouldn't get me banned, I'd call him the "N" word for what he's done. I hate Obama.

I'm sorry, what? You'd use a racially charged and inappropriate racial slur because he's chosen a different political path than the one you think most prudent? I do apologize, but...wtf? Obama has taken many positions I don't agree with, but I don't think I'd ever be so debased as to use that reference towards him. Also, despite disagreeing with the man I can't understand hatred towards him.

No, not because I disgaree with him, but because he's a liar and a traitor to Democrats and have cost us dearly.

Which means.... you disagree with him.

The Republicans were on the ropes because of the Tea Party, and Obama not only wasted the chance to put them out once and for all, he helped them get back into power. He has betrayed those who voted for him. That is why I would use that word.

Your interpretation of the events is most opinion and speculation, and none of it is reason to use a deeply offensive term with a terrible history in the United States. It's sad you, or any individual, reaches for justifications to utilize such an offensive, insensitive, and ultimately unnecessary term.

[/quote]

People voted in Republicans during the midterms largely because of the demographics of who shows up to vote for midterm elections i.e. the Republican voter base.

DreamGoddessLindsey wrote:First, you need to stop focusing on the "racist" word, seeing as it's my thinking to have and it's not the point of the topic.

You know, you can put "racist" in quotations all you want but its still a racist bigoted term. Utilized by yourself (considering your positions and the offense you take from the rest of the world) it stinks of irony. You wanted to use the word, you thought it was justified, own it. Its racist.

Second, I understand all too clearly. They are either brainwashed or not educated/smart enough to see between the lines, see the truth, and vote with their brains instead of their religions. Republicans largely win votes solely because of religion over here. You think I don't understand their motive? On the contrary. It's the other way around. I understand the why and I'm dumbfounded how so many people can be tricked so many times.

No, I don't think you understand much about voting behavior at all.
Last edited by Shikanosuke on Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby SunXia » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:28 am

DreamGoddessLindsey wrote:If it wouldn't get me banned, I'd call him the "N" word for what he's done. I hate Obama.

I am struggling to decide why Obama deserves to be call a discriminatory term....ever. Nobody, ever, deserves to be discriminated against at all, ever. Considering there was recently a thread describing a bill as just "anti-gay" shouldn't African Americans or all of African descent be angry at you now for discriminating against them?

If you don't agree with Obama's policies that's fine but that does not give you the right to be racist and then excuse it. His policies have nothing related to his ancestry and he should not be judged based on that. The very fact that you didn't use the word because "it would get you banned" and not because it is inherently wrong, worries me greatly. You advocate rights for homosexual people but don't mind using racial slurs except it might get you banned?

I am sensing double standards here, I suggest you re-evaluate your thought on equality since equality shouldn't just be for homosexual people but all people, including those of African descent.
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Unread postby DreamGoddessLindsey » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:28 am

Shikanosuke wrote:So apparently, despite millions of people being against it,

The amount of people for or against a bill has little relevance to its validity. I'm not sure why you would reference this.

Gee, I wonder. Maybe it could be because elected representatives are supposed to pass laws as willed by the people? Just a thought there.

Shikanosuke wrote:I'm a little confused at this, currently. I haven't independently researched the issue but from the article you linked it seems to source..nothing. Have I missed something? Apoligies if so, but it didnt' seem to shed life on the bill or its specifics.

It's in the writing. Maybe you glossed over it, not sure. SOPA would make any reproduction a crime, even a song performed in karaoke or posting a "Let's Play" to YouTube. If there is copyrighted material in it at all, felony charges may commence. As such, SOPA is guaranteed to stifle creativity and innovation.

Shikanosuke wrote:I'm confused how this isn't a rant or relevant to the issue at hand.

Then your reading comprehension is lacking. We voted them in to stop this kind of stuff and they betrayed us. They are trying to pass laws that favor the rich and businesses, again, while screwing over the vast majority who want net neutrality. This is another step toward internet tyranny on a global scale. This is what you expect from China or Russia, not a free country like the United States.

Shikanosuke wrote:Ah. So its news that being elected often means making promises one isnt' capable of keeping.

Isn't capable of? All he had to do was not bring it back. You're deliberately being dishonest and ignorant.

Shikanosuke wrote:I'm sorry, what? You'd use a racially charged and inappropriate racial slur because he's chosen a different political path than the one you think most prudent? I do apologize, but...wtf? Obama has taken many positions I don't agree with, but I don't think I'd ever be so debased as to use that reference towards him. Also, despite disagreeing with the man I can't understand hatred towards him.

NO YOU IDIOT FOR THE LAST TIME I'D USE THAT LANGUAGE BECAUSE HE LIED TO GET ELECTED AND BETRAYED THOSE WHO SUPPORTED HIM. HE'S A SCUMMY LITTLE LIAR AND MANIPULATOR. AS SUCH, YES, I HATE HIM, AND HE HAS EARNED IT FOR HIS DUPLICITY. BETRAYAL IS WRONG. SO GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR ARSE AND STOP JUST BEING CONTRADICTORY.

Which means.... you disagree with him.

Do you have brain damage? Seriously, if you shunt an outright betrayal down to simple disagreement, then you need to study some more, use logic, and gain some perspective.

People voted in Republicans during the midterms largely because of the demographics of who shows up to vote for midterm elections i.e. the Republican voter base.

Which means my point stands.

You know, you can put "racist" in quotations all you want but its still a racist bigoted term. Utilized by yourself (considering your positions and the offense you take from the rest of the world) it stinks of irony. You wanted to use the word, you thought it was justified, own it. Its racist.

You've never heard of context, have you? I use the word like this, "racist", because I'm not a racist and only save something so offensive for people who have really done enough to deserve it. Rapists and murderers, for instance, I would call that word. Same with liars and traitors.

No, I don't think you understand much about voting behavior at all.

I don't think you understand much of anything, though, so yeah...
DreamGoddessLindsey
Banned

Unread postby SunXia » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:42 am

You've never heard of context, have you?

There is no context with which using words that are racially discriminatory is a justifiable thing to do. It's wrong and it is Racist, not "racist".
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Next

Return to Current Affairs