The problem with the US welfare system

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Re: The problem with the US welfare system

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:17 am

Fledgling Dragon wrote:Problem with the US welfare system? Hell, the entire political system is one massive problem. Democrats and Republicans are both senseless, both useless. I'm honestly tempted to move somewhere else. If I can find anywhere that's better....

If you feel that hopeless, that dismissive about a democratic system in one country as simply "they all suck", I'm not sure how happy you would be after a few years under another. Those with a specific practical complaint might find happiness in another country where that issue is not a problem but not something like that.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby FoxWithWings » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:05 pm

I apologize, I was unclear.

I am not completely without hope. I believe the SYSTEM BY ITSELF is fine, it's just some of the people that mess it up. I also agree wholeheartedly that no system is perfect, and that someone who is touchy would never be happy under any political system.

I did not mean to sound dismissive, I was just generalizing.
"There's no one I'd rather be, than me" -Ralph
FoxWithWings
Master

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:02 pm

Honestly, from the outside, I'm more concerned about the system.

Sorry I jumped on you. The problem is, I hear the "they are all useless, all the same." here (we have 650 MP's from 8 parties, you can imagine how untrue the all the same argument is) and I tend to view any such claims with deep suspicion and sadness, it is a theme seems rather damaging to democracy to me.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby FoxWithWings » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:24 pm

What concerns you about the system?

It's all good, I just meant that the parties in general (currently, at least) seem to be doing so little to help the nation as a whole.
FoxWithWings
Master

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:48 am

Leaving aside the cultural aspect, the big business money in the system, the negative attack ads (or is that culture), the huge election spending and having a system that risks massive gridlock. The US system is one of the biggest arguments against replacing the House of Lords with an elected body
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby FoxWithWings » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:43 pm

The Big Business money does screw everything up. That pollutes the system more than anything else. The attack ads have always (sadly) been a part of political campaigning in the United States. That being said, I find attack ads despicable and craven. Honestly, I don't know why they have to spend so much just for a campaign. It seems ridiculous to me.
FoxWithWings
Master

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:54 pm

I understand why parties spend so much (they have money so will spend it, fear of being outspent by the other, no legal barriers, they really want to win the houses or the Presidency), our parties would do it they had the money and there weren't stringent rules on what they can spend. I hope the US one day implement such rules themselves
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby FoxWithWings » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:50 pm

Easy Zhou, you might just tempt me to jump the Atlantic.

I hope that becomes a thing. Unfortunately, I don't think the election process will change that drastically anytime soon.
FoxWithWings
Master

Unread postby James » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:55 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:I understand why parties spend so much (they have money so will spend it, fear of being outspent by the other, no legal barriers, they really want to win the houses or the Presidency), our parties would do it they had the money and there weren't stringent rules on what they can spend. I hope the US one day implement such rules themselves

A good place to start would be to stop removing those barriers...
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby FoxWithWings » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:14 am

Much easier said than done, James. A "tradition" like that will not pull up its roots without a fight.
FoxWithWings
Master

Previous

Return to Current Affairs