Scotland Indepdence debate

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Re: Scotland Indepdence debate

Unread postby Antiochus » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:25 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:So with polls predicting that SNP will win 35-45 seats in Scotland, pretty much killing Labour's stronghold, and pundits saying numbers would only be a little smaller then that, SNP could be the third biggest party in Westminster. This is playing into the election, Labour having to respond while Tories try to torch the union, warning that poor England would soon be controlled by evil Scotland as Salmond would dominate Labour behind the scenes.

So my question is that if SNP is third largest party, what should the big parties do? Seek to reach a deal as that is the democratic will of the people who handed them this? Refuse to work with any non-unionist party? If SNP upheld a government, how would England react to fate being decided by the votes of a few million Scots? If the parties reject the SNP, how would Scotland react? How will Scotland react to the Tories current election tactics?

Well...

You could look at what happened in Canada when a very similar situation occurred. Between 1993 and 2011, the Bloc was either the second or third most important political party in Ottawa.

There wasn't a single, unified reaction from the federalist forces, but I think the most effective one was to treat it as a regular party when it came the majority of issues not involving separation. To antagonize them too much, to refuse to see them as a legitimate force would have basically played in the Bloc's hand, especially since they had a clear electoral legitimacy. I would never pretend that it was an easy fit, but then again, it was not especially more complicated than having to share a political system with people having radically different values on all the other issues.
If they can abolish fanaticism, let us pray for the advent of the sceptics.

Raymond Aron
The Opium of the Intellectuals
Antiochus
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:50 pm

Could you please tell the Tories that? :wink:

I agree that seems the best approach is to just accept the will of the Scottish voters and the boundary system, get on with it. I just fear the fires have been stoked up too much already
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:39 am

Labour-Tory coalition to fight the great evils of UKIP and SNP or the fight against Westminster outsiders!

Remember You heard it here first guys :wink:
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Previous

Return to Current Affairs