Oh no! It's another political quiz!

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Re: Oh no! It's another political quiz!

Unread postby DreamGoddessLindsey » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:45 am

I scored Solid Liberal. No surprise there.
DreamGoddessLindsey
Banned

Unread postby Liu Yuante » Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:09 pm

Solid Liberal, not really a surprise. However, I suspect this is due to the way the quiz is structured. There were many questions where I felt like I was falling between two stools, with my actual beliefs incorporating aspects of both possible answers. Because the questions asked which comes closest, however, I usually chose the more liberal option. While I think we need to continue spending substantially on social programs, I also think there are a lot of gains to be made not by spending more $, but by reorganizing those programs and making them more efficient. There's so much in the way of red tape, arcane codes and rules and just plain bloat that, if we were to make a concerted effort to re-plan how, not just welfare programs but all aspects of the government, are laid out organized, who does what, and the process followed, we could get much more out of what we currently have without having to spend more.

Like James, i think i'm more in line with the hard-pressed skeptics but because, when forced to choose between two extremes, I chose the ones I feel are less harmful, I got classed with the Solid Left. I am very much on the left, but I temper my idealism with practical understanding of the nuances and complexities of reality (or at least I try my best).
Liu Yuante
绯红王

Unread postby Aaron.K » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:10 am

I got the same as you WWD. Hard pressed skeptic. Although I was taking the quiz from a perspective if I was an American citizen, and there's nothing that appealing about the Republicans or the Democrats that would make me wish to vote for either of them.

In regards to Canadian politics, I'd say I'm much the same. None of the political parties in Canada have much in common with my political beliefs. I think they're all pretty awful and filled with scumbags who are only looking out for their own interests, and the interests of those who give them a lot of money.
"Why have you come to Jotunheim all alone?"
Aaron.K
Master

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:36 am

Questions are so polarizing. It really sucks when neither choice sounds appealing. Like the marriage and procreation question, I am a proponent of individual freedom but I also work in the field of finance in one of the most rapidly aging societies today, so I know the upcoming repercussions for a country that has a really low birthrate.

That said, I consider myself to have rather polarized views, so some questions were no-brainers for me.

Anyway! I got Next Generation Left, like Shikanosuke. What I don't get is why the description includes a comment about viewing Wall Street positively...
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby mendedties » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:50 am

DreamGoddessLindsey wrote:I scored Solid Liberal. No surprise there.

*Gasp!*

Hehe, kidding...

I got Solid Liberal, but I feel like WWD's Hard-Pressed Skeptic aligns with my views a heck of a lot better. Almost perfectly so.

*Identity crisis ensues*
“I think we delight to praise what we enjoy because the praise not merely expresses but completes the enjoyment; it is its appointed consummation." -- C.S. Lewis
mendedties
Assistant

Unread postby Jordan » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:34 am

I keep posting in this thread and the post keeps getting deleted. I don't know what's going on. Server problem? Issue on my end? I have no idea.

I scored Solid Liberal but the chart thing made it look like I was just slightly to the left of the middle. I actually didn't answer the vast majority of the questions because I didn't agree enough with either of the options presented. I suspect that the reason I scored solid liberal is because many of the questions I did answer concerned the environment, which I have a strong "liberal" opinion on. What I find funny is that my views on the environment are considered liberal, but in reality they are conservative in the sense that I believe in conservation. I feel that the environment is one area in which I depart from libertarian leaning views as I feel it is highly important to regulate for future generations. On a lot of other issues I tend to either be ambivalent or feel that the government ideally should manage things but probably cannot in reality.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby DragonAtma » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:15 am

I took that quiz once before, and got solid liberal. I also pointed out the main problem: that they use only one axis instead of two (which means that a communist and a libertarian would get the same spot, despite being polar opposites).
Unless I specifically say otherwise, assume I am talking about historical Three Kingdoms, and not the novel.

In memory of my beloved cats, Anastasia (9/30/06-9/18/17, illness) and Josephine (1/19/06-9/23/17, cancer).
DragonAtma
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Antiochus » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:10 pm

Liu Yuante wrote:Solid Liberal, not really a surprise. However, I suspect this is due to the way the quiz is structured. There were many questions where I felt like I was falling between two stools, with my actual beliefs incorporating aspects of both possible answers.

Pretty much...

There were way too may questions that were articulated as absolutes.
If they can abolish fanaticism, let us pray for the advent of the sceptics.

Raymond Aron
The Opium of the Intellectuals
Antiochus
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:25 am

Michael Ashcroft, a respected right-wing pollster in the UK, has done a what kind of EU referendum voter are you

I got Citizen of the World

Nothing to Lose = 0%
Hard-pressed Undecideds = 0%
Global Britain = 0%
Listen to DC = 0%
If it Ain’t Broke = 0.399%
I’m Alright, Jacques = 44.523%
Citizens of the World = 55.078%

description
Citizen of the World

The Citizens Of The World group includes the most younger voters, including a higher than average number of students, recent graduates and professionals. More than half voted Labour at the general election. They are the most likely of all to say they will vote to remain in the EU, and that leaving the EU is a bigger risk than staying. A large majority says David Cameron will make no difference to how they vote. Citizens Of The World tend to think free movement, human rights, free trade and economic security are the issues at stake in the referendum; few mention immigration. They value having fundamental rights guaranteed by Europe, and think Britain benefits from strength in numbers and co-operation within the EU. Though Citizens Of The World think life in Britain is better than it was thirty years ago and that recent changes in society have been mostly for the better, they think the country is on the wrong track. They are more likely than most to think people from some backgrounds will never have a real chance to succeed no matter how hard they work. Of all the segments, the Citizens Of The World have the most positive view of immigration, multiculturalism, social liberalism, feminism and the Green movement, but the most negative view of capitalism.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Sun Fin » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:07 am

Nothing to Lose = 0%
Hard-pressed Undecideds = 0%
Global Britain = 0%
Listen to DC = 0%
If it Ain’t Broke = 24.842%
I’m Alright, Jacques = 62.096%
Citizens of the World = 13.062%
Your Dominant Strand

I’m Alright, Jacques

Members of the I’m Alright, Jacques group are likely to vote to remain. They tend to be affluent, to work in the private sector, and to be engaged in current affairs. At the election this group voted Conservative over Labour by 47% to 29%, with only 1% supporting UKIP. They overwhelmingly think leaving the EU would be riskier than remaining. They are less likely than most to see leaving the EU as a way of controlling immigration, being more likely to think we won’t be able to get immigration under control even if we leave the EU, or that immigration is under control. Members of the I’m Alright, Jacques group think Britain is on the right track, and are optimistic about the future both for themselves and the country. They are much more positive than most people about multiculturalism, globalisation, capitalism and immigration.

I suspect my negative views on Social Liberalism is what took me out of your camp DZ!
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Previous

Return to Current Affairs